• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Again, Mullen’s first three years all ended in NY6 bowls. But it wasn’t enough after this year.

Mullen's best years at MSU were with Dak, who it turns out was a pretty good QB. Hitting on QBs seems to be as important in college as it is the pro's ie Orgeron and Burrow at LSU. I think another thing that is important is the ability to replace staff. Losing a recruiter or coordinator can have a big impact. This all goes to show how much of a master Saban is at all facets.

Mullen's best years at MSU were with Dak, who it turns out was a pretty good QB. Hitting on QBs seems to be as important in college as it is the pro's ie Orgeron and Burrow at LSU. I think another thing that is important is the ability to replace staff. Losing a recruiter or coordinator can have a big impact. This all goes to show how much of a master Saban is at all facets.

Agree with this and he’s created the national rehab facility for coaches that have struck out to come in and be an assistant- they give him the best new innovative ideas- and then they leave for another job while Saban already has the their blueprint with better talent to execute it. It’s brilliant.

The Athletic published a good article in September about the top jobs in College Football... Polled 100 people working in the sport (ADs, Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Recruiting Coordinators, Analysts, and Staffers).

https://theathletic.com/2827321/2021/09/15/what-are-the-top-5-jobs-in-college-football-we-polled-over-100-coaches-and-staffers-to-find-out/

Here's the list... I separated them into tiers based on the points they were allocated (total votes)

Alabama - 406 (98)

Ohio State - 308 (97)

Georgia - 224 (72)

Texas - 164 (55)
LSU - 159 (49)
USC - 151 (64)

Clemson - 129 (46)

Oklahoma - 64 (28)
Notre Dame - 48 (23)
Florida - 32 (20)

Michigan - 20 (9)
Texas A&M - 12 (6)
How is making $4 million, win 6/7 games a year, no heat, not a top job? What is the criteria. You can make $8 million, have people on your ass 24/7 and get fired for winning. Is that a top job?

Every single SEC coach eventually runs into failure by the only metric that matters "Are you a better coach than Nick Saban?". Some arrive sooner than others.

How is making $4 million, win 6/7 games a year, no heat, not a top job? What is the criteria. You can make $8 million, have people on your ass 24/7 and get fired for winning. Is that a top job?

Don't ask me... Ask the 100 people who actually do this for a living, because that is who they polled for those responses.

Obviously it isn't one size fits all. Every coach is different.

Because winning a national championship is the ultimate goal in the sport, and it’s widely understood that in CFB only about a dozen programs are capable of doing that no matter who the coach is, so if you don’t seek one of those jobs you are settling for never winning a championship.

Because winning a national championship is the ultimate goal in the sport, and it’s widely understood that in CFB only about a dozen programs are capable of doing that no matter who the coach is, so if you don’t seek one of those jobs you are settling for never winning a championship.

This will always be the case until they expand the playoff and the transfer portal era begins to mature. You’re going to see a lot more teams like a Michigan State this past year that come together out of thin air and are in the conversation. Transfer portal is the equivalent of the Fab 5 and one and done rule in college basketball. Difference is in football even 5 star guys usually need a year to develop and don’t see significant action until year 2 so the transfer portal serves as de-facto farm league for skill position players to develop at Program One and then transfer to Program Two to compete for a championship.

dan mullen is a jerk

so i think getting fired from UF had a lot to do with people tired of him and waiting for an opportunity to kick him out

The Athletic published a good article in September about the top jobs in College Football... Polled 100 people working in the sport (ADs, Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Recruiting Coordinators, Analysts, and Staffers).

https://theathletic.com/2827321/2021/09/15/what-are-the-top-5-jobs-in-college-football-we-polled-over-100-coaches-and-staffers-to-find-out/

Here's the list... I separated them into tiers based on the points they were allocated (total votes)

Alabama - 406 (98)

Ohio State - 308 (97)

Georgia - 224 (72)

Texas - 164 (55)
LSU - 159 (49)
USC - 151 (64)

Clemson - 129 (46)

Oklahoma - 64 (28)
Notre Dame - 48 (23)
Florida - 32 (20)

Michigan - 20 (9)
Texas A&M - 12 (6)

I wonder where that vote would have landed after Urban won two natties in three years

I wonder where that vote would have landed after Urban won two natties in three years

Yeah, I think you could make the argument that there are 12-15 schools that are “Top 10” jobs, fluctuating based on recent performance and the escalating (and neverending) facilities arms race.

I get Ohio State... but my goodness, living in Columbus, OH seems awful

Indeed - there are 12 teams listed so the additional 3 to round out the top 15 would be these IMHO:

-Florida State
-Penn State
-Oregon

I feel like at the moment there is a drop off to the next tier 16-25 which is the following in no particular order:

-Miami- 20 years ago they were top 15- with right coach - they can be top 15 again
-Tennessee- see above
-Auburn- always going to be second fiddle to Bama but a good job and has won a natty and played for another one last 10 years- they are the closest team in this tier that can make argument for top 15 at the moment
-Nebraska- dropping rapidly but still in this tier due to tradition - likely drop out of this tier if they don’t win this decade
-Stanford- David Shaw has made them a great job
-UCLA- Yes- not a lot of success on field but it’s a national brand and in CA
-Iowa- Great fan support
-UVA- VT has had more success recently but UVA is a better school and campus - gotta have one Virginia school due to the talent in the Tidewater
-Pitt- Great history, large school and a lot of talent in the area
-Michigan State- they have had a lot of successful coaches in last 20 years and are willing to spend a lot of money

On the CUSP of top 25 with right coach-
-South Carolina
-UNC
-Arkansas
-Arizona
-Arizona State
-Ole Miss
-Wisconsin
-Cal
-Virginia Tech
-OK State
-Baylor

That’s the Top 25 at the moment. Let the debate begin!

As coal mining has declined in western PA and eastern Ohio, so has the pool of coal miner's kids who are great football players. That will limit Pitt's upside, because that pool is also aggressively recruited by Ohio State and PSU.

Just got a rumor that UF is going to sign a deal with Napier within a few hours.

That would seem to be a pretty underwhelming hire for a program with championship expectations.

That would seem to be a pretty underwhelming hire for a program with championship expectations.

Agree, but winning the press conference is great, but winning football games is more important.

Back