• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Northwestern has one of the most state-of-the-art practice facilities in the country and just got a $475M gift to renovate their stadium - when it comes to the arms race that is college football, they're closer to Alabama than they are to LOWF

Northwestern has one of the most state-of-the-art practice facilities in the country and just got a $475M gift to renovate their stadium - when it comes to the arms race that is college football, they're closer to Alabama than they are to LOWF

Maybe they will be after the renovation. Their current stadium is old and run-down.

I read the Michigan message boards from time to time to gauge their thoughts on Gattis

not good

but a lot of folks seem to think Harbaugh handcuffs him and that he's never really been allowed to bring his own ideas to the role

I find it odd a former defensive player is an OC.

I find it odd a former defensive player is an OC.

I mean Clawson is a former DB and he made it to an SEC OC role, albeit for a very brief amount of time. Either way, he's definitely thought of more as an offensive mind.

Well I guess I am the only poster on this board who remembers what Clawson said when he took this job.

As for the rest of you, I have no words. You are inexorably trapped in this little brother mentality from which you don't want to escape.

Well said. Wake fans are mental paralyzed by the idea that we're going to lose a great coach after a great season and replace him with an inferior coach, something that has never happened to Wake.

Well said. Wake fans are mental paralyzed by the idea that we're going to lose a great coach after a great season and replace him with an inferior coach, something that has never happened to Wake.

Disconnect.

Upon reading this thread, the consensus/unanimous opinion is that Clawson would not even consider leaving WF, save 3 or 4 of the most elite/richest schools, and none of those schools look to have an opening anytime soon. Not sure where the mental paralysis take is coming from; it's not like chicken littles are claiming Clawson covets the ECU job.

Last edited:
Well I guess I am the only poster on this board who remembers what Clawson said when he took this job.

As for the rest of you, I have no words. You are inexorably trapped in this little brother mentality from which you don't want to escape.

Because we have a coach that other teams might want? This is a marker of success and unless you're at Saban or even Dabo levels of achievement or you've already established that you have a Ferentz that'll never leave, then this will always be a point of discussion. Oklahoma fans are constantly worried that Lincoln Reilly will bolt to the NFL. PSU fans are worried about Franklin taking the USC job. Arkansas fans are probably concerned with Pittman getting scooped up.

It's not a little brother mentality. A little brother mentality would be worrying that Clawson leaves for State or UVA, not that Stanford or ND backs up a Brinks truck of cash.

I'd be concerned about Penn State if Franklin leaves.

I'd be concerned about Penn State if Franklin leaves.

This. They have already shown that they have no qualms bringing a guy in from a non-traditional school with academics, and letting him take his time to get the ball rolling. I would be very concerned if we win 9+ games this year and Franklin leaves for USC.

Because all of our coaches except for Peahead, Grobe, and Clawson have sucked. Peahead left over a contract dispute and was never a head coach again. We all know how Grobe ended. Clawson's history is obviously TBD.

One season after our only other conference championship in 1970 Stoll left for Minnesota and we proceeded to suck ass for the next 30 years until Grobe showed up.

We simply don't have the history to make the argument that we've never lost a great coach to another program and replaced him with an inferior coach because a) the overwhelming majority of our coaches were ass and b) the one time we did lose a good coach to another school we didn't exactly light it up the following three decades.

This. They have already shown that they have no qualms bringing a guy in from a non-traditional school with academics, and letting him take his time to get the ball rolling. I would be very concerned if we win 9+ games this year and Franklin leaves for USC.

Lulz - According to the below article, "about half" of the Penn St fans wanted Franklin's ass last year after winning 11 games in 3 of the 4 prior seasons.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2020/11/is-this-really-as-bad-as-penn-state-football-has-been-and-should-franklins-future-as-coach-be-on-the-line-jones.html

Here's another one - For better or worse James Franklin and Penn St are stuck with one another:

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2020/11/for-better-or-worse-james-franklin-and-penn-state-are-stuck-with-one-another/

The only thing they are patient with up in Happy Valley is covering for pedophiles.

You keep posting this. What exactly did Clawson say? "For the rest of my life I want to coach only at WF and if involuntarily separated from employment with Wake will seek work as a Wal-Mart greeter"? Do tell.

I don't think a fanbase that is willing to wait a few years is a requirement for Clawson's future school prospects. He has a reputation for rebuilding programs because he has taken shitty programs to new heights. I think the unimpressive results his first few years at each of his stops has more to do with the position of the programs when he took over than anything inherent to his style or abilities. He wants to win immediately. Shitty football programs aren't likely to turn around even under great coaching in one year.
If he inherits a program with some of the right pieces already in place, he will be successful quickly, while still also building for the future.

This.

Because all of our coaches except for Peahead, Grobe, and Clawson have sucked. Peahead left over a contract dispute and was never a head coach again. We all know how Grobe ended. Clawson's history is obviously TBD.

John Mc says hello, don’t forget me, which actually supports the underlying post.

One season after our only other conference championship in 1970 Stoll left for Minnesota and we proceeded to suck ass for the next 30 years until Grobe showed up.

We simply don't have the history to make the argument that we've never lost a great coach to another program and replaced him with an inferior coach because a) the overwhelming majority of our coaches were ass and b) the one time we did lose a good coach to another school we didn't exactly light it up the following three decades.

let's win 9+ games this year first and take our chances

Retaining a coach at Wake Forest in 2021 is a little different than retaining a coach at Wake Forest in 1971.

So I guess this thread means that the "Dave Clawson Credibility" thread can officially die?

I was a nervous wreck when schools like NE and Arkansas were taking looks at Grobe, and it was like Christmas when he decided to stay at Wake. While I'd be disappointed if Clawson left, it would be akin now to one of my favorite restaurants closing, i.e. will miss him but the whole college sports thing just doesn't have the same hold on me as it once did. Don't know if it's a product of my age, the over-hyping/over-saturation of college sports or what, but for me Wake and all college sports in general is mostly "for entertainment purposes only", i.e. it's not a thing of passion anymore.

I definitely don't want Clawson to leave, but if he does it's because he's been successful here and built something. I think this is his 8th year, so he's put his time in here and the longer he's stays is just additional cherries on top. What I don't like is a coach going to school and not staying long enough to have a cup of coffee before moving on to somewhere else.

I was a nervous wreck when schools like NE and Arkansas were taking looks at Grobe, and it was like Christmas when he decided to stay at Wake. While I'd be disappointed if Clawson left, it would be akin now to one of my favorite restaurants closing, i.e. will miss him but the whole college sports thing just doesn't have the same hold on me as it once did. Don't know if it's a product of my age, the over-hyping/over-saturation of college sports or what, but for me Wake and all college sports in general is mostly "for entertainment purposes only", i.e. it's not a thing of passion anymore.

So the purpose of this post is to let us know that you don't care ?

Back