• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Love the hot takes on LA from a bunch of people who seemingly have never spent much time in LA. Putting aside the subjective desirability of location (just for the record, I think LA is awesome - I live in Charlotte and it's nice and all...but I would move to LA in a heartbeat if the right job opportunity ever came up), the objective fact is that USC is a more prestigious job than LSU.

USC has more wins, a better winning percentage, more bowl wins, three times as many national championships, four times as many conference titles, twice as many consensus All Americans, three times as many Heisman winners, several hundred more NFL draft picks, and on and on.

If I'm a coach with a massive ego and think I can bring a program "back," there's a lot more glory at USC than LSU, and between the two, that's the program I'd want my name to be associated with in the history books.

Last edited:
maybe I skipped over a post or two, but it seems the only people putting down LA/USC are Oklahoma fans who are upset they just lost their coach

Yeah, but if you're a tarhole fan, this year had to really suck. Top 10 preseason, in a down year for the ACC as a whole and the best you can do is barely make a bowl. Got to imagine those "Mack is Back" shirts aren't getting much wear right now.

What a tragedy 😉. Kidding aside- there is no reason they shouldn’t have atleast a top 20 team year in and year out. Beautiful campus, talent rich state, national brand, willingness to “get guys in” with online classes, Jordan NIL deals, and as much as I hate to say - a great school. They’ve had a lot of bad coaches last 30 years (Bunting, Torbush, Withers), great recruiters that were mediocre game coaches (Davis, Brown). Honestly- best coach they had was Fedora in my opinion- he recruited well- not Mack Brown and Butch Davis well but pretty good and could actually coach. But they ran him out because he couldn’t “win big” and Mack wanted to come out of retirement. Until they realize that their football program isn’t their basketball program and can’t have that same entitlement, it’s going to be a cycle.

Hasn’t hurt the hole’s recruiting.

And I think that is what is pissing off the fanbase... They are clearly bringing in some impressive recruits, but the results haven't been there. For some reason, he's not getting credit for bringing in the players. He's only getting the blame for not winning more games.

What a tragedy 😉. Kidding aside- there is no reason they shouldn’t have atleast a top 20 team year in and year out. Beautiful campus, talent rich state, national brand, willingness to “get guys in” with online classes, Jordan NIL deals, and as much as I hate to say - a great school. They’ve had a lot of bad coaches last 30 years (Bunting, Torbush, Withers), great recruiters that were mediocre game coaches (Davis, Brown). Honestly- best coach they had was Fedora in my opinion- he recruited well- not Mack Brown and Butch Davis well but pretty good and could actually coach. But they ran him out because he couldn’t “win big” and Mack wanted to come out of retirement. Until they realize that their football program isn’t their basketball program and can’t have that same entitlement, it’s going to be a cycle.

Um... Fedora was 3-9 (1-7) and 2-9 (1-7) his last two years at UNC. That would get pretty much anyone fired from any college coaching job.

from my perspective, those were two pretty great years

Absolutely.

But as a WF fan, I enjoyed the Bunting years more because that guy was clearly in over his head and he looked like a doofus on the sidelines.

(which, sadly, is probably how everyone else in the ACC views the Bz years for WFU hoops)

USC has more wins, a better winning percentage, more bowl wins, three times as many national championships, four times as many conference titles, twice as many consensus All Americans, three times as many Heisman winners, several hundred more NFL draft picks, and on and on.

Your math is fuzzy.

Oh wait, you're comparing to LSU. Nevermind.

lol the only one out of those you listed that will hire a coordinator is vanderbilt.

lots of schools hire coordinators from other schools. just looking at the current top 25: georgia, cincy, baylor, pitt, arkansas just from a quick glance. i know there are others like BC

So evidently Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione has a good relationship with Clemson DC Brent Venables

Um... Fedora was 3-9 (1-7) and 2-9 (1-7) his last two years at UNC. That would get pretty much anyone fired from any college coaching job.

Fedora won 10 games in 2015 (including the Coastal) and 8 in 2016. Those records you pointed out are 2017 and 2018. So they fired him 3 years removed from a 10 win season and 2 years from an 8 win season. Their last 10 win season had been in 1997- Mack’s last year before going to Texas- nearly 20 years prior.

As a comparison, we let Grobe stick around until end of 2013 after he had last won 8 games in 2008 (5 years before) and 10 games only once in 2006 (7 years before).

LOWF isn’t UNC and we obviously have different expectations but point is UNC expects to win big - often over-estimates what they “should do” vs. what they actually do. Save Mack Brown’s first tour of duty - they have been mediocre at best since the Choo Choo Justice Days and haven’t won an ACC title since 1980. You don’t fire a guy 3 years removed from a 10-win season at a mediocre program historically.

They pushed him out because Mack wanted back in. Don’t think it’s a coincidence the best players not named Sam Howell in 2019 and 2020 were Fedora’s guys- Williams, Rice, Surratt, Newsome, Dyami Brown. And none of those guys were 5 star recruits. They were supposed to “re-load” this year on offense and that didn’t happen other than Downs.

So evidently Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione has a good relationship with Clemson DC Brent Venables

Because he was the DC under Stoops for several years. Left when Bob brought his brother back to be co-DC.

Brent's defenses were getting torched, improved in the first year under Mike Stoops, then downhill from there. I think that Riley retaining Mike, perhaps out of loyalty to Bob, cost OU a natty.

As somebody on the OU boards said, Brent would roll out a clunker game now and then with his defense, but at least they'd hit people in the mouth. Whoever is the new coach, it needs to be a defensive guy (Venables or Lanning) or a HC with a good track record (Fickell). I don't believe this shit being rolled out about Kingsbury for a second. He's just trying to get a raise. He was awful at Tech and is exactly the kind of self-promoting douche that OU should seek to avoid after Riley. Same with Kiffin.

Fedora won 10 games in 2015 (including the Coastal) and 8 in 2016. Those records you pointed out are 2017 and 2018. So they fired him 3 years removed from a 10 win season and 2 years from an 8 win season. Their last 10 win season had been in 1997- Mack’s last year before going to Texas- nearly 20 years prior.

As a comparison, we let Grobe stick around until end of 2013 after he had last won 8 games in 2008 (5 years before) and 10 games only once in 2006 (7 years before).

LOWF isn’t UNC and we obviously have different expectations but point is UNC expects to win big - often over-estimates what they “should do” vs. what they actually do. Save Mack Brown’s first tour of duty - they have been mediocre at best since the Choo Choo Justice Days and haven’t won an ACC title since 1980. You don’t fire a guy 3 years removed from a 10-win season at a mediocre program historically.

They pushed him out because Mack wanted back in. Don’t think it’s a coincidence the best players not named Sam Howell in 2019 and 2020 were Fedora’s guys- Williams, Rice, Surratt, Newsome, Dyami Brown. And none of those guys were 5 star recruits. They were supposed to “re-load” this year on offense and that didn’t happen other than Downs.

I mean, most of Brown’s recruits are freshman and sophomores. I’m not surprised they took a step back this year.

Cool.

So where is Fedora coaching now? Having success?

Because he was the DC under Stoops for several years. Left when Bob brought his brother back to be co-DC.

Brent's defenses were getting torched, improved in the first year under Mike Stoops, then downhill from there. I think that Riley retaining Mike, perhaps out of loyalty to Bob, cost OU a natty.

As somebody on the OU boards said, Brent would roll out a clunker game now and then with his defense, but at least they'd hit people in the mouth. Whoever is the new coach, it needs to be a defensive guy (Venables or Lanning) or a HC with a good track record (Fickell). I don't believe this shit being rolled out about Kingsbury for a second. He's just trying to get a raise. He was awful at Tech and is exactly the kind of self-promoting douche that OU should seek to avoid after Riley. Same with Kiffin.

Good post. Yeah- seems like OU needs to go back to a Bob Stoops-like guy- defensive minded, a little salty, not a pretty boy douche like those toolbags you mentioned. This is especially important with the move to the SEC in the near future. Really would love Brent to get called home - I know he has been offered HC jobs before but nothing on level of OU

lots of schools hire coordinators from other schools. just looking at the current top 25: georgia, cincy, baylor, pitt, arkansas just from a quick glance. i know there are others like BC

Thank you for posting this so I didn’t have to. Sam Pittman turned 60 yesterday and is in his second year as a head coach, not counting JUCO. He also hasn’t been a coordinator since 1986 at a high school in Oklahoma, but does have a couple of Associate Head Coach stints.

Will Muschamp was DC/LB Coach at Auburn for two years, then had the same job at Texas for the Ed years before he got the head coaching job at Florida. That’s the kind of trajectory Gattis should be looking at, not some dead end job at Duke. Nobody wants to be the next Carl Franks.

I know you're being somewhat funny, bu USC is surrounded by Shitholeville. Norman is easy living and the house he has now in OK will cost 10 times as much in Cali. OK tax rate is not great (5% I think), but in California it will be through the roof. But whatever. OU is in damage mitigation mode now. Try to keep some recruits, try to minimize transfers (notably Caleb Williams) and bring in a big name. No Heupel. No fucking Stoops. Go big or go to the AAC instead of the SEC.

Yeah, this is message board banter but he isn’t going to be living in the dorms. He’s going to have a really nice house in Pacific Palisades, or such, and have access to a lot more entertainment and culture when he takes a few hours.

Btw, Cutcliffe was 3-3 in bowl games in 14 seasons at Duke.

Dave Clawson will be 3-3 in bowl games, at worst, in 8 seasons.

Back