• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

So Bob Stoops is just chilling in Norman waiting for the call so he can speed over from the golf course? Talk about someone who is doing retirement all wrong.

I figure they probably just flashed the OU bat signal in the sky and he bolted right over. Must not have been having a career round though.

It will certainly be interesting to see how he does there. USC is kind of like Notre Dame, tons of tradition, but maybe the upside isn't as high as it used to be?

I heard Herbstreit on the radio this morning and he said he didn't think Riley was the type to try to get OU players like Caleb Williams to follow him to USC.......:confused:

It's USC. Riley will have a 4* or 5* overrated QB commit who the Jets will eventually take #1 within a few days.

This sounds like a PhDeac level house that Riley's building out there in Norman.

Nah. My house would be like 250K in Norman.

Yeah, but if you moved it from Norman to LA it'd be $10 Million.

Ever watch Flip or Flop? I don't, but my wife used to, so by default I'd see it sometimes. Anyway, they buy, fix up and sell houses in CA. They will pay $500,000 for a rat-infested dump to fix up and at least double their money. You couldn't get somebody to pay $25,000 for some of those places around here.

That's your Cadillac of natural disasters, can bring down buildings, create large holes in the ground, cause massive tidal waves and flooding, it can do it all.

Randomly I just read that Winston-Salem has recently gotten up to six earthquakes within the span of a week.

It's USC. Riley will have a 4* or 5* overrated QB commit who the Jets will eventually take #1 within a few days.

Nah. My house would be like 250K in Norman.

Say what you want about Riley, but I thought he did a great job with Mayfield, Hurts and Murray, especially Hurts. Hurts was a liability in the passing game at Bama. Then he goes to Oklahoma and becomes a decent enough passer to get taken in the 2nd round and could end up being Philly's long term answer at QB. I think this move says more about the ceiling Riley may have thought he had at Oklahoma moving to the SEC going forward versus potentially killing it in the PAC-12.

I also like the long term prospects of Douglas, Saleh and Wilson at the NYJ. Wilson has had little protection this year, and Douglas has just had 1 draft there, but I think it was solid. They've had bad GMs and mostly bad coaches forever but may have finally managed gotten both spots right.

Rich people build houses they're not going to live in. Hell, the new coach is going to need a place to live. Riley could rent it out on home game weeks.

Yeah, Dabo just built like a $10 million lake house at Clemson that has basically a tiger paw basketball court, swimming pool etc. I imagine if Dabo takes the Bama job eventually then he'll just sell that house back to the school for the new head coach.

The guy replying that gas prices are twice as much in LA is killing it. You know who doesn’t give a fuck what gas costs, the guy making 15 million, hell the person making 150k doesn’t really either. Also in ELCs insider message the doing it for your girls and better opportunities for them is code for not making them grow up in fucking shithole Oklahoma.

That’s very dumb if accurate. Of course he will do everything he can to get every top player and recruit to USC on day one. You don’t fuck around with worrying about hurt feelings when you’re making $10MM+ in one of the most cutthroat professions on the planet.

He had 3 5 star kids for 2023 committed to OU. All decommitted within the first 12 hours. All California kids. They're staying close to home.

The guy replying that gas prices are twice as much in LA is killing it. You know who doesn’t give a fuck what gas costs, the guy making 15 million, hell the person making 150k doesn’t really either. Also in ELCs insider message the doing it for your girls and better opportunities for them is code for not making them grow up in fucking shithole Oklahoma.

LOL. Yes, because they'll be confined to Oklahoma their entire lives, suffering in their reservation-run, dugout soddy public schools.

He's using his kids as a copout, as an excuse. Bottom line-- he did it for the $ and because he didn't think he was going to hack it in the SEC.

Yeah, Dabo just built like a $10 million lake house at Clemson that has basically a tiger paw basketball court, swimming pool etc. I imagine if Dabo takes the Bama job eventually then he'll just sell that house back to the school for the new head coach.

Good example of why the top coaches don't decide to take a job based on the "quality of life" for say Norman vs. L.A. These guys work 70-80 hrs./week, and their life outside of coaching is usually confined to their luxurious & spacious home and grounds, or to get away they leave town for a week's vacation. You could make a list of 25 things that make L.A. a more attractive place than Norman, and outside of tornadoes and winter weather, a high-profile coach like Lincoln Riley will rarely experience them in the same manner a regular schmoe like me would; not like these guys are regularly hitting up the top dining, cultural and entertainment options in the area. $$ and chance to win (primarily due to access to top recruits) is the primary driver. If quality of life was a major factor, Alabama and Notre Dame would be tough places to compete.

Good example of why the top coaches don't decide to take a job based on the "quality of life" for say Norman vs. L.A. These guys work 70-80 hrs./week, and their life outside of coaching is usually confined to their luxurious & spacious home and grounds, or to get away they leave town for a week's vacation. You could make a list of 25 things that make L.A. a more attractive place than Norman, and outside of tornadoes and winter weather, a high-profile coach like Lincoln Riley will rarely experience them in the same manner a regular schmoe like me would; not like these guys are regularly hitting up the top dining, cultural and entertainment options in the area. $$ and chance to win (primarily due to access to top recruits) is the primary driver. If quality of life was a major factor, Alabama and Notre Dame would be tough places to compete.

The wife and kids are experiencing the quality of life when they don’t see dad for months on end.

that's why USC is such a unique gig for the right coach

you don't have to compromise living in the middle of nowhere to be at a top tier program that can, has, and should compete for national championships

that's why USC is such a unique gig for the right coach

you don't have to compromise living in the middle of nowhere to be at a top tier program that can, has, and should compete for national championships

Yea but think about how much it will cost to fill up your Land Rover that the school provides in addition to your $15M salary !??!?

Back