• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I was a nervous wreck when schools like NE and Arkansas were taking looks at Grobe, and it was like Christmas when he decided to stay at Wake. While I'd be disappointed if Clawson left, it would be akin now to one of my favorite restaurants closing, i.e. will miss him but the whole college sports thing just doesn't have the same hold on me as it once did. Don't know if it's a product of my age, the over-hyping/over-saturation of college sports or what, but for me Wake and all college sports in general is mostly "for entertainment purposes only", i.e. it's not a thing of passion anymore.

Not where I thought you were going with this. If Clawson leaves, so be it. We will find another good coach. And if he leaves, it is because we won a ton of games, so I have no issue with the man going somewhere else.

I was a nervous wreck when schools like NE and Arkansas were taking looks at Grobe, and it was like Christmas when he decided to stay at Wake. While I'd be disappointed if Clawson left, it would be akin now to one of my favorite restaurants closing, i.e. will miss him but the whole college sports thing just doesn't have the same hold on me as it once did. Don't know if it's a product of my age, the over-hyping/over-saturation of college sports or what, but for me Wake and all college sports in general is mostly "for entertainment purposes only", i.e. it's not a thing of passion anymore.
Ditto. I watch Wake and a few big games but that's about it.

The interesting part to me about the Grobe to Arkansas thing is that the results after that season weren't all that great. I was refreshing the boards every 30 seconds like most of us and wouldn't have wanted Grobe to go. Hopefully Clawson sticks around and continues to have success here, but if he lands an offer he wants to take, changes don't always have to be a bad thing.

The interesting part to me about the Grobe to Arkansas thing is that the results after that season weren't all that great. I was refreshing the boards every 30 seconds like most of us and wouldn't have wanted Grobe to go. Hopefully Clawson sticks around and continues to have success here, but if he lands an offer he wants to take, changes don't always have to be a bad thing.

This is what I was trying to say. Well said.

I'm almost resigned to eventually losing Clawson. He's a good coach and there's only so much money Wake can pay him. Maybe he's fine with what he's earning but the appeal of a B1G or SEC offer may prove to be too much. But he's been here 8 years and will be here for at least one more. If he goes, he goes. He earned it. He will leave a solid base.

Grobe and Prosser both started a steady decline after they seriously considered other jobs. Change can be good as long as you don’t hire Jeff bzdullik or the football equivalent

Grobe and Prosser both started a steady decline after they seriously considered other jobs. Change can be good as long as you don’t hire Jeff bzdullik or the football equivalent
Well wellman is not here anymore so there's that

Uhhh you mean the guy who took us to a #1 ranking and landed like 6 NBA players across 3 recruiting classes before he died? That guy?

Sorry only 4 NBA players. Huge decline.

Uhhh you mean the guy who took us to a #1 ranking and landed like 6 NBA players across 3 recruiting classes before he died? That guy?

2 seasons after Prosser almost took the Pitt job, Prosser finished DFL last in the ACC with a 3-13 conference record. 3 seasons after he almost took the Pitt job, he finished next to last in the ACC with a 5-11 record. He was 3 for 3 in making the Tourney before he flirted with Pitt and 1 for 3 after.
So yeah, I would call that a decline and a big one at that. For the record, I loved Prosser as our coach, but I can be objective about his last few seasons. I'm like the others who agonized over the Grobe and Prosser rumors, but if it happens with Clawson I just not going to be as shook about it as I was then.

2 seasons after Prosser almost took the Pitt job, Prosser finished DFL last in the ACC with a 3-13 conference record. 3 seasons after he almost took the Pitt job, he finished next to last in the ACC with a 5-11 record. He was 3 for 3 in making the Tourney before he flirted with Pitt and 1 for 3 after.
So yeah, I would call that a decline and a big one at that. For the record, I loved Prosser as our coach, but I can be objective about his last few seasons. I'm like the others who agonized over the Grobe and Prosser rumors, but if it happens with Clawson I just not going to be as shook about it as I was then.

It's a curse!

Sounds like Orgeron is probably done at LSU...

https://sports.yahoo.com/its-time-for-lsu-to-think-about-life-after-ed-orgeron-and-the-tigers-ad-has-an-appetite-for-a-big-name-051857842.html

Potential targets: Fisher, Meyer, Franklin, Kiffin (ha)

Jimbo Fisher makes a lot of sense. It's funny, though... If A&M continues to suck this year, they might OK with him leaving and LSU will probably be less enthused about the hire.

If I'm A&M, I would jump at the opportunity to fleece a division rival of a few million and get an upgrade.

Rumblings out of Jacksonville this morning.

If I'm A&M, I would jump at the opportunity to fleece a division rival of a few million and get an upgrade.

From the article I posted:
Woodward’s lopsided deal in favor of Fisher at Texas A&M sets up a potential exit to Baton Rouge. The initial deal had no buyout money for him to leave for another job. Texas A&M just extended him on the same terms with the understanding that, essentially, the Aggies are daring anyone to pay Fisher now more than $9 million annually. Any courtship of Fisher would presumably crack the $10 million barrier, but the good news for Woodward is that another reunion with his old friend Jimbo wouldn’t cost any buyout money because he left it coach-friendly up front.

So A&M wouldn't be getting any money... They'd just be off the hook for the remainder of the giant contract with plenty of money to spend on someone else.

The ~$17mil LSU buyout of Orgeron is a bigger issue... But if they don't have to pay A&M anything, that helps.

From the article I posted:

So A&M wouldn't be getting any money... They'd just be off the hook for the remainder of the giant contract with plenty of money to spend on someone else.

The ~$17mil LSU buyout of Orgeron is a bigger issue... But if they don't have to pay A&M anything, that helps.

I just read that in the article. That contract was even worse than it seemed at the time. I'm not sure why Fisher still seems a hot commodity after his experience with A&M and the mess he left at fsu. I guess fsu's decline makes him look good?

Seems like every school has ultra-rich alums with stupid money and not enough options to spend it on. Put another way, when it's time for a coach to go, every AD has these bigwigs on speed-dial and they find a way to get the buy out done, and the money to hire the new flavor of the month. The one exception may be FSU which would be paying 3 coaches and multiple assistants if they fired Norvell.

So, I don't see any chance of Ed O surviving a crappy season. LSU is 3-2, and they have 5 ranked teams left on their schedule. Hard to see the Bayou Bengals doing better than 6-6. That is just not going to get done. FWIW, love listening to Ed talk, but always thought he was an idiot from the time that Grobe coached circles around him in 2006.

Last edited:
Seems like every school has ultra-rich alums with stupid money and not enough options to spend it on. Put another way, when it's time for a coach to go, every AD has these bigwigs on speed-dial and they find a way to get the buy out done, and the money to hire the new flavor of the month. The one exception may be FSU which would be paying 3 coaches and multiple assistants if they fired Norvell.

So, I don't see any chance of Ed O surviving a crappy season. LSU is 3-2, and they 5 ranked teams left on their schedule. Hard to see the Bayou Bengals doing better than 6-6. That is just not going to get done. FWIW, love listening to Ed talk, but always thought he was an idiot from the time that Grobe coached circles around him in 2006.

Would it surprise anyone if he went scorched earth on the way out and leaked the NCAA violations they have surely been committing?

Back