• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Clawson goes to ND?

I would hate for him to go Notre Dame. If he does leave I'd like for it to be somewhere I could root for, ND would be almost as bad as UNC in that regard.

Fickell has to be their top target.

Rhule's name could get thrown around since PSU might be off the table for a little while and if he wants out of the NFL. ND might not want to go back to the NFL after their last experience with that, but at least Rhule had some success in college.

I would think that they would want to talk to Narduzzi, but he might not splashy enough to appease the fanbase after they got dumped.

Think they would have to miss out on quite a few targets before hiring him. Definitely not impossible, but I would say improbable right now. Good thing that extension got signed last week lol. At least if Claw goes to ND, Wake gets some good money for the next hire.

Yeah I think he would be 6th or more on list after Fickell, Campbell, Marcus Freeman, Urban Meyer, Matt Rhule, and Bill O’Brien. Is it possible? Yeah but unlikely given candidates ahead of him. The extension doesn’t mean anything - just that we get a nice buyout if he leaves. Though I do think Dave is an honorable guy and likely wouldn’t have agreed to extension if he was thinking a job might be open this year that would tempt him. Let’s remember- Kelly had been talked about going to USC earlier in the year. It’s not completely out of left field he’s moving on from ND- he had been there 12 years which is an eternity at that job.

Urban is the perfect coach for Notre Dame. He's going to be fired in Jax at the end of year anyway, might as well go ahead and quit for his dream job in college.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Clawson goes to ND?

I love Clawson. He's perfect for Wake and we are incredibly lucky to have him here.

With that said, ND is in a spot where they are consistently in the playoff discussion and the fanbase and boosters, after being publicly dumped, are going to want a coach who they think is ready to win a championship now. I'd argue ND isn't very close to a championship since they've been pantsed in front of the nation the three times they've gotten a shot at one over the past decade, but that's not how ND fans think.

If ND fired their coach because they were sucking I'd be more worried about them targeting Clawson. With USC and LSU filled ND is the best opening and I think they'd have to get rejected several times before they tried to sell Clawson to their fanbase.

OU and ND getting coaches they want to keep poached on the same day with (I assume in Kelly's case) 9 figure contracts

it's just a shame we don't have enough money to pay the players

Urban's lap dance cost him the ND gig. No chance they overlook that. I'm more worried about Ruggerio to Duke than Clawson to ND but both could happen.

Urban's lap dance cost him the ND gig. No chance they overlook that. I'm more worried about Ruggerio to Duke than Clawson to ND but both could happen.

Ruggiero doesn’t want a HC gig. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

0% chance ND is interested in Clawson. They’re probably pissed and want to make a big splash. I think Urban is absolutely in play.

0% chance ND is interested in Clawson. They’re probably pissed and want to make a big splash. I think Urban is absolutely in play.

It sounds like Freeman, the DC, is likely to get it.

It sounds like Freeman, the DC, is likely to get it.

Interesting. Interim or HC? This is his first year at ND. He was the DC at Cincy before. Young coach.

Interesting. Interim or HC? This is his first year at ND. He was the DC at Cincy before. Young coach.

Permanent is what is floating around. They think they are in a good place and like the continuity from what it sounds like.

I love Clawson. He's perfect for Wake and we are incredibly lucky to have him here.

With that said, ND is in a spot where they are consistently in the playoff discussion and the fanbase and boosters, after being publicly dumped, are going to want a coach who they think is ready to win a championship now. I'd argue ND isn't very close to a championship since they've been pantsed in front of the nation the three times they've gotten a shot at one over the past decade, but that's not how ND fans think.

If ND fired their coach because they were sucking I'd be more worried about them targeting Clawson. With USC and LSU filled ND is the best opening and I think they'd have to get rejected several times before they tried to sell Clawson to their fanbase.

I agree- it would be one thing if they fired Kelly and wanted to go in a new direction entirely. So we have that on our side and the need to have a coach ASAP. Marcus Freeman was their ace recruiter - if they can keep him in South Bend- they likely keep those commits and I don’t see Marcus staying in South Bend unless he is the HC. Kelly ain’t taking those commits to Baton Rogue unless he has Freeman with him - it’s a completely different type of school. In fact - of top 15 jobs in the country - couldn’t be 2 more opposite schools. It’s going like to an Ivy compared to a C level state school

Also, Saban gets a raise tonight because his contract is tied to being higher than the top 3 SEC or top 5 nationally.

Back