• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Ruggiero doesn’t want a HC gig. This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Just because it has been discussed ad nauseam doesn't mean it can't happen. Is there a single coach who has ever been 100% honest about their coaching intentions? And things change over time. Anyway I certainly hope he stays.

Just because it has been discussed ad nauseam doesn't mean it can't happen. Is there a single coach who has ever been 100% honest about their coaching intentions? And things change over time. Anyway I certainly hope he stays.

Would be really nice if the Nard-dog Pitt is even a serious candidate for the job- distracting his team for the ACC CG. I think he’s more likely to be high on the list than DC.

I agree- it would be one thing if they fired Kelly and wanted to go in a new direction entirely. So we have that on our side and the need to have a coach ASAP. Marcus Freeman was their ace recruiter - if they can keep him in South Bend- they likely keep those commits and I don’t see Marcus staying in South Bend unless he is the HC. Kelly ain’t taking those commits to Baton Rogue unless he has Freeman with him - it’s a completely different type of school. In fact - of top 15 jobs in the country - couldn’t be 2 more opposite schools. It’s going like to an Ivy compared to a C level state school

I get that logic, but it's a surprise Freeman would be the guy since he's only been there a year. Good for him though.

I get that logic, but it's a surprise Freeman would be the guy since he's only been there a year. Good for him though.

Yeah he’s probably not qualified yet on paper for that job but timing is everything. That being said- ND is a more attractive job at this point in time than OU due to the uncertainty of joining the SEC and that purgatory it brings. Also - of the top candidates not hired or “extended” - most of them (Fickell, Campbell, Meyer, Bill O’Brien) make much more sense at ND than OU.

He was a head coach in the past. Hs had offers to be one again but seems to be one of those assistants who likes not having to deal with the extra stuff a head coach deals with.

He seems plenty qualified. He's got a strong resume for a 35 year old who played in the NFL. I'm just surprised they'd promote a guy in his first season at ND. By comparison, the ND OC played QB at ND and been on staff for several seasons.

Have seen zero noise on the VT job. Does anyone want it?

Have seen zero noise on the VT job. Does anyone want it?

Sounding like Bill O’Brien, Charles Huff, Brent Pry, Tony Elliot, and Marcus Freeman (which seems less likely now) are all in the running. Obviously not as appealing of a job as VT fans thought given the candidates.

I’m more interested in what VT is going to have to pay a coach in this climate.

VT is gonna end up getting screwed this cycle with a mediocre candidate and shelling out more money than they should. To be fair- no one could’ve seen these dominos coming but they definitely over-estimated the appeal of their job and/or already needed to have had someone teed up before dumping Fuente.

Has Brian Kelly ever beaten an SEC team ? Definitely hasn’t beaten Alabama or Georgia in a couple of tries each.

Has Brian Kelly ever beaten an SEC team ? Definitely hasn’t beaten Alabama or Georgia in a couple of tries each.

Yeah while most of the conversation is the shock at this hire, there hasn’t been much actual analysis. This is an awful hire by LSU IMO.

Yeah while most of the conversation is the shock at this hire, there hasn’t been much actual analysis. This is an awful hire by LSU IMO.

Agreed, very underwhelming other than who they hired him away from which makes it a “big” move.

curious who you think wouldn’t be an awful hire in that case.

i read only clemson, bama, uga and ohio state have better records than ND the past five years.

Agreed, very underwhelming other than who they hired him away from which makes it a “big” move.

And that he gave up or cost ND a potential CFP berth to take the job. If the goal is winning championships, he was closer to doing that now than after taking the LSU job.

Kelly is one of the top coaches out there. Whether he will win or not remains to be seen but he’s not some bum.

curious who you think wouldn’t be an awful hire in that case.

i read only clemson, bama, uga and ohio state have better records than ND the past five years.

Tell LSU fans they’ll be behind bama and uga for the next 5 years and see how they feel about it.

I just hope he doesn’t trot out a bunch of GAs in a hurricane.

Back