• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Yeah, just poking fun. You're not wrong here. Curious to see how this season finishes up, but REALLY curious if we can carry the momentum into next year and start that much higher up the ranks. I think that's when we can expect to really see an impact on recruiting and coverage (not playing a pivotal conference game on ACCN). Even being bullish about repeating in the division is a testament to what Clawson has done.

Wake was not ranked in the 2007 preseason following the 2006 championship, which feels like a bunch of BS.

10 days ago people were talking about Kirby Smart being up for a $100 million contract extension. LOL.

Yeah, just poking fun. You're not wrong here. Curious to see how this season finishes up, but REALLY curious if we can carry the momentum into next year and start that much higher up the ranks. I think that's when we can expect to really see an impact on recruiting and coverage (not playing a pivotal conference game on ACCN). Even being bullish about repeating in the division is a testament to what Clawson has done.

Picking Clawson over Lambo was a good call by Currie's predecessor, but Bob McCreary is the man of the hour.

Wake was not ranked in the 2007 preseason following the 2006 championship, which feels like a bunch of BS.

To be fair, ND was ranked one spot above us in the final 2006 poll and got fewer votes in the 2007 preseason. It happens.

So good. Very first sentence I read is about why this is a bad move for Riley lolol. No tax discussion though.

That's one part of many. Whether it's a good move or not remains to be seen. USC's administrative support for athletics has long been an issue there and one reason why they've never been able to rise back to Pete Carroll levels. They got gun shy after Pete. Maybe they're over that. Maybe not. LR is no PC, though. That is for certain. The good stuff, or maybe just interesting to me, points to fractures among his staff, to how he is as a coach, etc... This is stuff that has been rumored for years and is now being confirmed by people who aren't just message board weenies.

I'm over all the tax and cost of living and housing stuff. USC accounted for that in their contract. It was a good deal. I don't blame him for leaving, but he was remarkably dishonest about it, was clearly distracted all year to the point where OU couldn't even get to the CCG and nearly lost a number of other games in which they should've cruised, and left OU in a worse position than he found it, even without all the decommits and portal transfers. For that, he will always be persona non grata in the state of Oklahoma. Joke about that all you want, but it's gonna sting when his wife wants to go visit her GFs or his kids their friends in Norman and he has to stay behind because he burned all his bridges.

didn't Mike Buddie lead the charge on Clawson though? that was the word on the street back then, anyway

yes, I remember that quite clearly that Mike buddie took the lead in the football coaching search. Not really sure what Wellman did.

Oh man. Lincoln's not going to be able to go to Norman to visit his wife's friends and his kids' friends. He's just going to have to drop them off and take the private jet somewhere else.

Why? We lots a ton of seniors and guys to pros after that year. And we didn’t have the bowl record in the years before it like we do now

Next preseason poll is different. We have proven we can win under Clawson

Pro athlete and coaching contracts are now this way too. It seems that bubble pops at some point. Surely colleges, teams, franchises, etc get tired of paying dead money

There's always some rich booster/owner there to pick up the tab.

Oh man. Lincoln's not going to be able to go to Norman to visit his wife's friends and his kids' friends. He's just going to have to drop them off and take the private jet somewhere else.

I for one and certainly worried about it being awkward for Lincoln Riley to return to Oklahoma to visit his wife’s friends. Shouldn’t have burned those bridges. He’ll never be invited back for those famous Bob Stoops backyard barbecues ever again!

If Venables moves on to OU- I would say our chances of repeating division champs are much higher

This. I am 100% cheering for that move.

Also agree that with so much transition, Wake may get a golden opportunity to land a stud DC who could bring both recruits and current players through the portal. If there's a chance to strike, I'd fully expect Clawson to want to do it and Currie to figure out how to raise the necessary $$$.

The funniest part of ELC's post is that Lincoln's family is going to actually fly to Norman and get off the plane. Nope. They're going to pick up their friends in the private jet and take them back to party in LA. You can't have a baller ass sleepover in Norman. Lincoln's daughters and their friends are going to be sitting courtside at Lakers games and hanging out afterwards with Uncle Lebron.

The funniest part of ELC's post is that Lincoln's family is going to actually fly to Norman and get off the plane. Nope. They're going to pick up their friends in the private jet and take them back to party in LA. You can't have a baller ass sleepover in Norman. Lincoln's daughters and their friends are going to be sitting courtside at Lakers games and hanging out afterwards with Uncle Lebron.

Uncle LeBron is way cooler than creepy old Uncle Bob Stoops

That's one part of many. Whether it's a good move or not remains to be seen. USC's administrative support for athletics has long been an issue there and one reason why they've never been able to rise back to Pete Carroll levels. They got gun shy after Pete. Maybe they're over that. Maybe not. LR is no PC, though. That is for certain. The good stuff, or maybe just interesting to me, points to fractures among his staff, to how he is as a coach, etc... This is stuff that has been rumored for years and is now being confirmed by people who aren't just message board weenies.

Seems to me that there's one really obvious indicator of "administrative support for athletics," and it's his salary. So i think they're showing a commitment. Also, most schools have a problem getting back to "national championship levels" after that type of coach leaves.

finally, the oklahoma faithful were sucking his dick until last week, so the bullshit about how terrible he was is just epic sour grapes.

I think OU didn’t make the conference championship game because they are not the best in their conference,m, not because their HC wasn’t focus.

love the part about Lincoln Riley being disloyal, turning his back on OU, all that jazz, while OU prepares to ditch their longtime conference and join the one with their geographic rivals in Florida and Georgia (and all that sweet $$$$$$$$$)

love the part about Lincoln Riley being disloyal, turning his back on OU, all that jazz, while OU prepares to ditch their longtime conference and join the one with their geographic rivals in Florida and Georgia (and all that sweet $$$$$$$$$)

OU is now a persona non grata in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, & WV. Sad !

Back