• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

If Fickell goes to ND would Cincy take a look at Gattis?

I would seriously doubt it. The only reason why we're even talking about him here is because he went to Wake. If they're going to hand the keys to a really stable, soon to be P5 program to a coordinator I don't think it would be Gattis.

If he wants to make the jump to HC this cycle I could see Duke being an option since they need a total rebuild but that's a dead end job right now and a huge risk for someone so early in their career. I'd only take that gig if I was winding down and wanted to cash checks for a few more years.

Honestly, his best path would be to swoop into a mid-tier non-P5 program who had their coach hired away. Louisiana would be a very smart move for him if the opportunity presented itself, especially since a lot of bigger programs will value a candidate with strong LA (and SE) recruiting ties down the road.

Agree. When fat-ass Charlie Weis and over-his-head Gerry Faust were the coaches, ND largely cornered the market on Midwest Catholic School players. ND could hire the Taliban Commander of the Faithful and still get players from Midwest Catholic schools.

Yeah it makes almost no sense to me. ND has the benefit of having every game nationally televised and can sell out neutral site games in any major city in the country but they want to focus more on Midwestern private schools. They can have a strong recruiting presence almost anywhere they want.

I would seriously doubt it. The only reason why we're even talking about him here is because he went to Wake. If they're going to hand the keys to a really stable, soon to be P5 program to a coordinator I don't think it would be Gattis.

If he wants to make the jump to HC this cycle I could see Duke being an option since they need a total rebuild but that's a dead end job right now and a huge risk for someone so early in their career. I'd only take that gig if I was winding down and wanted to cash checks for a few more years.

Honestly, his best path would be to swoop into a mid-tier non-P5 program who had their coach hired away. Louisiana would be a very smart move for him if the opportunity presented itself, especially since a lot of bigger programs will value a candidate with strong LA (and SE) recruiting ties down the road.

I mean, he’s one of 5 finalists for the best assistant coach of the year award. So he’s getting attention other places too, not just from Wake alums.

I have no idea who Cincy might be looking at, but it seems like if Penn State’s DC can get the VT job then Gattis could get the Cincy job. Seems like more coordinators being elevated to HC this cycle than normal.

I mean, he’s one of 5 finalists for the best assistant coach of the year award. So he’s getting attention other places too, not just from Wake alums.

I have no idea who Cincy might be looking at, but it seems like if Penn State’s DC can get the VT job then Gattis could get the Cincy job. Seems like more coordinators being elevated to HC this cycle than normal.

Freeman is either getting the Notre Dame job, or if Fickell takes it, is going back to Cincinnati as Head coach.

I think OU didn’t make the conference championship game because they are not the best in their conference,m, not because their HC wasn’t focus.

Well they certainly didn't play like it this year. But it is clear that they didn't play anywhere close to their potential this year. It's also clear that Lincoln Riley's head wasn't in the game. Those two things are probably closely related. And with other coaches apparently in on the move, the likelihood of a correlation goes up about a zillion-fold.

Well they certainly didn't play like it this year. But it is clear that they didn't play anywhere close to their potential this year. It's also clear that Lincoln Riley's head wasn't in the game. Those two things are probably closely related. And with other coaches apparently in on the move, the likelihood of a correlation goes up about a zillion-fold.

If OU isn’t careful and doesn’t make a good hire - they could become the next Nebraska. Sounds like Riley isn’t exactly leaving cupboard full. Yes- they’re closer to Texas and have always dipped into Texas but now every program in the country does. It’s not like Norman is a sexy destination and NIL makes it even harder. They haven’t had a true coaching search in over 20 years.

Admittedly I know very little about midwest catholic school football, but is that really the space ND needs to make headway in to stop getting embarrassed whenever they get into the playoff?

With no football version of the high school academies and privates that now garner much of the top h.s. basketball talent, some of the Catholic schools have started to pull in talent on a national level. In most cases kids don't have to be Catholic, just willing to wear a goofy blazer to class.

love the part about Lincoln Riley being disloyal, turning his back on OU, all that jazz, while OU prepares to ditch their longtime conference and join the one with their geographic rivals in Florida and Georgia (and all that sweet $$$$$$$$$)

The ball was set in motion on the Big XII when Nebraska bolted, then CU, then aTm. If it's OU and TX keeping your conference from fading into obscurity, then maybe the BXII leadership should've done better. He did as well as he could after the fact, but too little, too late.

In any event, the two things are incomparable, but one of those typical things that goes around the internet in meme form and sounds so witty to people incapable of deeper thought (like sports writers). OU owed nothing to the other conference teams, and if they were upset about the "secrecy" element of it, they can blame aTm, or better yet, harken back to how all the other teams left before OU and TX and how much of a surprise all those were. It's still 3 years notice.

Riley, at the very least, owed OU admin the courtesy of a heads up maybe not the minute he got an itch to talk to others, but certainly when he got serious, which wasn't on Sunday like he claims. I'm beyond being mad about him leaving. I do ultimately think he was in over his head and maybe he thinks he can fix the things he fucked up at OU with a fresh start at USC (although with the same people in the fold, it's unlikely). He is still very young and learning a lot on the fly. And that's the problem here-- he handled it like a kid, or an immature adult. I guarantee that with a few more years behind him, he'd do things differently with the way this has played out. It is unprofessional to say the least to blow what was a pretty good opportunity this season to make a run by not having his head fully in the game. He owed it to his employer to fill them in. What he did is the same thing teenagers do when they want to avoid confrontation.

OU is going to get somebody to run a tight ship. And all the rah rah culture lip service that coaches give is going to be more than just lip service like it was under Riley. The buzz is getting really heavy about Venables at this point. I would've said no way 5 years ago, and in fact I'm pretty sure I did, but more and more he looks like a good selection. No NFL aspirations, still has friends and good memories in Norman, knows the admin, recognizes it as a final destination job, etc... There are a few others I'd be happy with too, but BV has those things going for him.

Could you point me to where you posted this during the season?

If OU isn’t careful and doesn’t make a good hire - they could become the next Nebraska. Sounds like Riley isn’t exactly leaving cupboard full. Yes- they’re closer to Texas and have always dipped into Texas but now every program in the country does. It’s not like Norman is a sexy destination and NIL makes it even harder. They haven’t had a true coaching search in over 20 years.

There's always fear of that, but I guarantee Norman is a sexier destination than Lincoln (Nebraska, not Riley), and certainly a much better place than many of here give it credit for being. Tradition, admin support, and fan support go a long way toward attracting a quality coach, and the right coach brings the right players.

Could you point me to where you posted this during the season?

You want me to go through every game post I've made related to OU on every message board so you can be appeased?

Just look at the boxscores. They should've kicked the shit out of 90% of the teams on their schedule and kicked the shit of, I think, 3. Everything else was a heart attack game or a loss.

You want me to go through every game post I've made related to OU on every message board so you can be appeased?

Just look at the boxscores. They should've kicked the shit out of 90% of the teams on their schedule and kicked the shit of, I think, 3. Everything else was a heart attack game or a loss.

No. Just show me where you've said that before so it doesn't look like more sour grapes. Why do you think they should have "kicked the shit" out of so many teams? Recruiting rankings? Tradition? This isn't the first OU team with a great offense and mediocre to bad defense.

The bottom line is the almighty dollar and that's really all there is to it imo. These contracts are exploding almost exponentially.

You can have a top 10 job in your field and if a top 30 job comes along and offers you basically double what you were making, why would you say no?

OU is going to get somebody to run a tight ship.

haha yes, in the long OU tradition

they should hire a former player like Jerry Parks or Charles Thompson or Joe Mixon to set the right example

R.8bd4ade7716ae5cc8669ed54efd3a584

No. Just show me where you've said that before so it doesn't look like more sour grapes. Why do you think they should have "kicked the shit" out of so many teams? Recruiting rankings? Tradition? This isn't the first OU team with a great offense and mediocre to bad defense.

I'm not sifting through a zillion posts that I've made throughout the course of the season or screenshot-ing you posts that I've liked that allude to Riley's issues. Most of them would have to do with him having too much on his plate as both OC and HC, a common complaint going back a few seasons, looking unprepared, having seriously weird playcalling (that goes beyond the usual internet message board posters complaining about playcalling), etc... As it turned out, he did have too much on his plate because he was negotiating a contract to get the hell out of Dodge. It's like the wife who knows something is wrong with her husband, but he won't talk much about his work, seems distant, and then one day she walks in on him fucking her best friend. Eureka! Now it all makes sense!

They didn't have a great offense at all. The offense was the problem. That's Lincoln Riley's issue. The defense was terrible at times, particularly when Turner-Yell was out for some games, but generally speaking, in terms of expectations, the defense outperformed the offense this year. It didn't live up to its preseason billing, but still... The D, when healthy, was more reliable than the O.

Back