• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Would it surprise anyone if he went scorched earth on the way out and leaked the NCAA violations they have surely been committing?

If he pockets $17mil, I suspect he'll just keep quiet given he's not going to get hired anywhere else anytime soon.

If anyone wants a laugh, go back and read this summer's crop of coach rankings from different sites.

Sounds like Orgeron is probably done at LSU...

https://sports.yahoo.com/its-time-f...has-an-appetite-for-a-big-name-051857842.html

Potential targets: Fisher, Meyer, Franklin, Kiffin (ha)

Jimbo Fisher makes a lot of sense. It's funny, though... If A&M continues to suck this year, they might OK with him leaving and LSU will probably be less enthused about the hire.

I think Billy Napier from down the road at Louisiana-Lafayette makes more sense. He is younger, has worked with Saban and Dabo, and has done well at his first stop. I think he would have a heck of a lot more fire than any of the names above.

With Kentucky's recent football success, a hot name among college football assistant's is their DC and former Deacon player Brad White. White played for WF under Grobe, coached under Grobe as a grad assistant, under Troy Calhoun at AF, under Chuck Pagano for the Indy Colts and has been at KY since 2018.

Mark Stoops named White the Kentucky DC in February 2019, and over that time, KY's defense has led to Wildcat's surprising football success. Under White, KY's defense has finished 4th in the SEC in 2019, 4th in 2020 and is currently 3rd in the SEC in yards allowed. The only SEC defenses rated ahead of KY this year are UGA and Bama. Seems like only a matter of time before Brad White gets a head college job.

With Kentucky's recent football success, a hot name among college football assistant's is their DC and former Deacon player Brad White. White played for WF under Grobe, coached under Grobe as a grad assistant, under Troy Calhoun at AF, under Chuck Pagano for the Indy Colts and has been at KY since 2018.

Mark Stoops named White the Kentucky DC in February 2019, and over that time, KY's defense has led to Wildcat's surprising football success. Under White, KY's defense has finished 4th in the SEC in 2019, 4th in 2020 and is currently 3rd in the SEC in yards allowed. The only SEC defenses rated ahead of KY this year are UGA and Bama. Seems like only a matter of time before Brad White gets a head college job.
He and his Deacon wife are also just good people. Definitely someone to keep an eye on bringing home one day after Clawson leads us to a few championships.

It's pretty funny to me that he was brought in as the 10th assistant right after the college rule change increased the allowed number of coaches. It was on the recommendation from Dean Hood to Stoops. It is amazing to go from "extra" linebackers coach to DC in such a short amount of time. However, he deserves it. Also, he and his family cannot be nicer people. I keep them up to date on any staff openings at Mother So Dear. Haha.

He and his Deacon wife are also just good people. Definitely someone to keep an eye on bringing home one day after Clawson leads us to a few championships.

Agreed. Haven’t seen either of them since I left NC but I’d love to have their family back in the fold after Clawson retires after winning 15 straight national championships.

Good to know and would love to see him back at Wake someday.

Bring him in as DC

How many coaches has Wake lost after a good season? John Mackovic, Jay Vidovich. Who else and I missing? Mike Petersen to North Texas?

Field hockey and golf still have the same coach as when I was at Wake. Wake athletics are amazingly stable at coaching positions.

Didn't Jesse Haddock leave for Houston and then return?

Because all of our coaches except for Peahead, Grobe, and Clawson have sucked. Peahead left over a contract dispute and was never a head coach again. We all know how Grobe ended. Clawson's history is obviously TBD.

One season after our only other conference championship in 1970 Stoll left for Minnesota and we proceeded to suck ass for the next 30 years until Grobe showed up.

We simply don't have the history to make the argument that we've never lost a great coach to another program and replaced him with an inferior coach because a) the overwhelming majority of our coaches were ass and b) the one time we did lose a good coach to another school we didn't exactly light it up the following three decades.

I keep coming in late. Peahead, I believe, was the HC for the Montreal Alouettes for a couple of years.

Brad was one of the nicest guys on the team when I worked in the equipment room.

As someone mentioned in an earlier thread comment - Cal Stoll left WFU in 1971 after winning our 1st ACC football championship. Back to Minnesota after 2 years in Winston.

Mackovic had a magical season in 1979 with Venuto, Ard, Parker, Duckett, Baumgardner, Mcdougald And Denfield. Won at Georgia, UNC, Maryland, State and beat Auburn at home. 9-2 and a berth in the Tangerene Bowl.

Mackovic had a magical season in 1979 with Venuto, Ard, Parker, Duckett, Baumgardner, Mcdougald And Denfield. Won at Georgia, UNC, Maryland, State and beat Auburn at home. 9-2 and a berth in the Tangerene Bowl.

Mackovic was always on the make, IMO, and left for a better job. Did well at Illinois and for a while at Texas. Never bonded with the Texas fanbase/donors. He's more a tassel loafer and wine and cheese guy and they wanted cowboy boots and beer. It was much harder for him to recruit at Texas.

8-4. Beat #12 UGa, #14 UNC, and #13 Auburn. Lost to State, Clemson, South Carolina, and LSU in the Tangerine Bowl.

The next season was so close to being equally magical. We lost 4 games by a total of 7 points. We would have been 9-2 if we had won all of those. Instead ended up 5-6 and Mackovic left for the Dallas Cowboys.

Back