• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

giphy.gif

I was an Oklahoma fan as a kid in North Carolina bc I loved the wishbone offense and Oklahoma ran it better than anyone in my formative years . Jamelle holieway was sweet with the triple option

The ball was set in motion on the Big XII when Nebraska bolted, then CU, then aTm. If it's OU and TX keeping your conference from fading into obscurity, then maybe the BXII leadership should've done better. He did as well as he could after the fact, but too little, too late.

In any event, the two things are incomparable, but one of those typical things that goes around the internet in meme form and sounds so witty to people incapable of deeper thought (like sports writers). OU owed nothing to the other conference teams, and if they were upset about the "secrecy" element of it, they can blame aTm, or better yet, harken back to how all the other teams left before OU and TX and how much of a surprise all those were. It's still 3 years notice.

Riley, at the very least, owed OU admin the courtesy of a heads up maybe not the minute he got an itch to talk to others, but certainly when he got serious, which wasn't on Sunday like he claims. I'm beyond being mad about him leaving. I do ultimately think he was in over his head and maybe he thinks he can fix the things he fucked up at OU with a fresh start at USC (although with the same people in the fold, it's unlikely). He is still very young and learning a lot on the fly. And that's the problem here-- he handled it like a kid, or an immature adult. I guarantee that with a few more years behind him, he'd do things differently with the way this has played out. It is unprofessional to say the least to blow what was a pretty good opportunity this season to make a run by not having his head fully in the game. He owed it to his employer to fill them in. What he did is the same thing teenagers do when they want to avoid confrontation.

OU is going to get somebody to run a tight ship. And all the rah rah culture lip service that coaches give is going to be more than just lip service like it was under Riley. The buzz is getting really heavy about Venables at this point. I would've said no way 5 years ago, and in fact I'm pretty sure I did, but more and more he looks like a good selection. No NFL aspirations, still has friends and good memories in Norman, knows the admin, recognizes it as a final destination job, etc... There are a few others I'd be happy with too, but BV has those things going for him.

Why would anyone be an Oklahoma fan of you weren’t born in or live in Oklahoma.

Four generations of my family were born and/or raised there way back to when it was simply I.T. (Indian Territory) on the birth certificate. I was not, but that's what I grew up with. Now my Mets fandom, that comes from straight up bandwagoning as a kid starting around 84-85. As a Sooner, Mets, and Wake fan, I have suffered long enough and am likely to be in a shit mood when discussing any of them.

was just texting to a diehard VT fan former coworker of mine and he's stoked about the hire. but he also wanted Clawson, so.

The few I have talked to seem pretty stoked as well, but I am not buying it. I think they are convincing themselves this good after they had such lofty expectations and landed here. Hell, some were even talking about going after DD at State a few days ago. For the life of me I dont understand why they think a coach in the same conference would just jump to go there. This isnt Frank's VT people.

penn state fans seem pretty upset about him getting poached, too

The few I have talked to seem pretty stoked as well, but I am not buying it. I think they are convincing themselves this good after they had such lofty expectations and landed here. Hell, some were even talking about going after DD at State a few days ago. For the life of me I dont understand why they think a coach in the same conference would just jump to go there. This isnt Frank's VT people.

It's cope. He may end up being good, but there is no way he was high on their list. He is 51, never had a HC look, and been attached to Franklin for awhile. He obviously is a good DC and apparently recruits VA well for PSU. He will need to have a really good OC to help that side of the ball, me thinks.

They really need to better sync up signing day with the season. It sucks for coaches to not get to coach their teams in bowl games/playoffs just to go talk to some 18-year olds.

They really need to better sync up signing day with the season. It sucks for coaches to not get to coach their teams in bowl games/playoffs just to go talk to some 18-year olds.

Clawson ranted about this a bit today. Said to just move it back to February.

He also made a good point that the 4 longest tenured ACC coaches are the 4 at the top of the standings.

Yeah. His PC is worth a listen. I'm just finishing it now. Clawson was very specific that he likes the early signing day for him and it helps stable coaching staffs. But he wants to move it back for the good of the sport.

And like Notre Dame, for example, those kids will possibly earn a CFP spot and either not get it due to the coaching situation or be fucked with no coach. Now, in general fuck Notre Dame, but sucks for the players.

Yeah. His PC is worth a listen. I'm just finishing it now. Clawson was very specific that he likes the early signing day for him and it helps stable coaching staffs. But he wants to move it back for the good of the sport.

I also liked that he admitted that he was being a hypocrite for leaving Bowling Green before their bowl game. Hopefully that sticks with him and he doesn’t do it again!

Yeah. Good bit of self awareness there. And that was before early signing day. I do think there’s a difference between leaving a G5 job for a P5 job and what we’ve seen especially since he coached in the MAC Championship game.

Back