• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

No job specific info, but I was just speaking with a client of mine who has a son that is committed to play football for Marshall. The Marshall head coach, Charles Huff, came down to meet with the family today. The dad said he told Charles something like, "If my son finishes his career and you're still his head coach at Marshall, you definitely screwed something up." Charles agreed with him.

So probably safe to say that Huff would move on if the right job opens up (which is in no way a surprise). Wonder why he didn't get more of a look from VT... Seems like a good fit, though Huff probably needs another year or two of success.

Huff did get a long look from VT. After VT struck out on their home-run offers, sounded like Huff was 2nd choice to the PSU DC that VT ended up hiring.

BTW, Marshall played a bizarre game against W KY last weekend. The game was for a spot in the AAC Championship game against UTSA. Marshall dominated early leading 14-0 and 14-6 at the half. W KY then scored on every possession of the 2nd half - 47 points in total to win 53-21. W KY essentially throws on every down. Their QB Baily Zappe ("Zappe Hour") has 52 TDs on the season. Zappe transferred to W KY from Houston Baptist. The W KY v. UTSA game should be super-high scoring.

Huff did get a long look from VT. After VT struck out on their home-run offers, sounded like Huff was 2nd choice to the PSU DC that VT ended up hiring.

BTW, Marshall played a bizarre game against W KY last weekend. The game was for a spot in the AAC Championship game against UTSA. Marshall dominated early leading 14-0 and 14-6 at the half. W KY then scored on every possession of the 2nd half - 47 points in total to win 53-21. W KY essentially throws on every down. Their QB Baily Zappe ("Zappe Hour") has 52 TDs on the season. Zappe transferred to W KY from Houston Baptist. The W KY v. UTSA game should be super-high scoring.
Uh. It's how you beat Pitt.

It also further fucks over Brian Kelly who was throwing gobs of money at Freeman to try to bring him to LSU, so that is nice too.

With Freeman, that's either going to be a homerun or he's in over his head real quick. Either way, that has to hurt Kelly big time.

With Freeman, that's either going to be a homerun or he's in over his head real quick. Either way, that has to hurt Kelly big time.

I agree- it’s a high risk/high reward for them. He gets 2 years to win 11 games and get in CFP.

Well Donald Ross definitely approves.

Would love to see Notre Dame get in the playoffs (legit; i.e. teams ahead of them lose this weekend) and Freeman wins a natty with Kelly watching from Baton Rouge.

I don't think we're gonna get our punter back after all.

I love to see all the assistants stay with freeman in south bend and make Kelly start from scratch at LSU

I love to see all the assistants stay with freeman in south bend and make Kelly start from scratch at LSU

Saban had to do that when he first arrived to LSU in 2000. Nobody from Michigan State came with him to Baton Rouge. Pretty interesting.

Saban had to do that when he first arrived to LSU in 2000. Nobody from Michigan State came with him to Baton Rouge. Pretty interesting.

Yeah but Michigan State isn’t a top tier job - ND is though - even though LSU is better. Also- Saban was early 50’s when he arrived there- Kelly is 10 years older. Think this is just about Kelly cashing in for a retirement gig. Though on a much bigger scale - this reminds me a lot of TOB to NC State - doesn’t make any sense on paper and is an odd cultural fit

A friend of mine is a relative of Kelly's. When we first met and she shared this news with me, I believe her exact words were "he's a real asshole." She was right.

Kelly should hire Will Muschamp as DC/Coach-in-Waiting.

Back