• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

LSU beat us pretty handily in the Tangerine Bowl. Venuto was injured (concussion, I think) and we had no real offense. The next morning the wife and I were at breakfast. The restaurant was crowded and this guy asked if he could sit with us. It was Paul Dietzel, the LSU AD. He was very complimentary and said it would have been a much closer game had our QB not been hurt. It was the last game for the LSU coach and the Tigers were fired up. Dietzel also said it would be tough for Wake to keep a good coach like Mackovic for very much longer. He was right.

So many articles out there about the LSU search, but it seems like it is Jimbo Fisher's job to decline.

Also reading:
Mel Tucker (Michigan State)
Billy Napier (Louisiana)

Some of the others seem like longshots / bad fits: James Frankin (more likely to USC), Dave Aranda, Luck Fickell, Mark Stoops (why leave UK?), Joe Brady (sticking w/ NFL), & Bill O'Brien (yuck)

the angle on this new LSU AD is that he reaches for the stars every time. Got Chris Peterson to finally leave Boise St for UW when he had declined basically every other job. Got Baylor's WBB coach to come when she was already a HOFer there.

Yeah, that's why I think Jimbo Fisher makes the most sense.

Saw Dabo Swinney mentioned as a candidate somewhere... I just can't see him making that move, no matter the $$$,

Not that he couldn’t go from LSU to Bama but Dabo is definitely just sitting and waiting for Saban to retire, right?

Would love to see LSU hire Mel Tucker. He would be gone before the end of year 2.

IMHO, Billy Napier makes the most sense. He knows the state of Louisiana and if he continues the success Ogeron has keeping the top talent in-state, he would do well. He is the most likely to keep the top guys home.

Yeah but who is Billy Napier? That’s not going to make a splash.

FWIW, Billy Napier is a very polarizing figure among those in college football. I guess if the LSU AD and the Big Money donors like him, than Napier has a shot, but he makes enemies, and has a run-first offense. There is a reason why App State has had a series of coaches get Power V jobs, while Napier, in the same conference has not.

https://twitter.com/actionnetworkhq/status/1438690022648131585

Yeah, that's why I think Jimbo Fisher makes the most sense.

Saw Dabo Swinney mentioned as a candidate somewhere... I just can't see him making that move, no matter the $$$,

Well, on the plus side he wouldn't have to learn a new name for his home stadium, he wouldn't have to learn a new fight song and he wouldn't have to learn a new mascot.

Woodward has the home run reputation- but he also has the history of having his homework done and knowing where he is going. I can't see this becoming the clusterfu*k some searches are. One would imagine he wanted to hire his own guy and this is no surprise. In the current LSU climate, any coach with background issues would be a difficult hire.

I highly doubt Jimbo gets the call here. As mentioned above, Woodward is very competent and won't fuck it up like their previous AD's.

Jimbo went on a big rant at his press conference about how much he loves it there and is gonna see out his contract. Can't tell if he's actually being serious or if it means he's just about to sign the LSU deal.

Jimbo’s gone. That looks like the equivalent of “I don’t give a damn about UNC.”

Is there any specific thing that makes LSU a better job than A&M?

Jimbo’s gone. That looks like the equivalent of “I don’t give a damn about UNC.”

Is there any specific thing that makes LSU a better job than A&M?

Jimbo was the OC for LSU for six years under both Saban and Les Miles. As a result, he has lots of connections in Baton Rouge.

Jimbo was the OC for LSU for six years under both Saban and Les Miles. As a result, he has lots of connections in Baton Rouge.

Right. Jimbo has been the head coach for A&M for four seasons. As a result, he has lots of connections in College Station.

A lot of people don’t go back to take a higher position at a place they worked before. Is there anything specific that makes LSU a better job than A&M?

Since 2000:

LSU has:

2 National Championships
3 Appearances in the National Championship Game
6 SEC West Division titles (1 since LSU joined the SEC)
9 Top 10 AP Poll finishes
12 seasons of winning 10 or more games

Over the same period, Texas A&M has

0 National titles
0 Appearance in the BCS or College Football playoff
0 SEC Division Titles
2 Top 10 AP Poll finishes
1 10 win season

Since A&M joined the SEC in 2012, A&M has finished above LSU in the SEC standings one time.

Not sure what information you are looking for, but LSU has been the better program for a long time. The state of Louisiana produces a lot of football talent, and for the most part, LSU signs whomever they want from their home state. While Texas has more football talent than Louisiana because of the larger population, Texas and every major football power, including LSU recruits hard in Texas.

Last edited:
Texas A&M hasn't won an national championship in over 80 years. LSU has won three in this century. There's obviously something to that. LSU is also THE football power in the state of Louisiana, while you have five other P5 programs in Texas, soon to be six with Houston.

Just to settle the conflicting numbers between Pilchard and myself, LSU won the Nationals Championship in 2003, 2007, and 2019. 2003 was as split championship with USC, but LSU won the BCS Championship game.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Jimbo gets the call here. As mentioned above, Woodward is very competent and won't fuck it up like their previous AD's.

You do realize that Woodward was the AD at Texas A&M when the Aggies hired Jimbo? Woodward also gifted Jimbo a 'no payment due' clause in his contract if Jimbo was to leave A&M for another job. In other words, Jimbo wouldn't owe A&M a single penny if he chooses to bolt. My guess is that Woodward has already reached out.

Back