• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

So either Jason Garrett's agent leaked his name to try to boot his profile, which is hilarious. Or Duke leaked Jason Garrett's name to try to get leverage over Elko in contract negotiations, which is even MORE hilarious. I hope Elko and his agent got a good laugh when they saw Jason fucking Garrett was Duke's backup option. Really wish he would've called Duke's bluff.

So either Jason Garrett's agent leaked his name to try to boot his profile, which is hilarious. Or Duke leaked Jason Garrett's name to try to get leverage over Elko in contract negotiations, which is even MORE hilarious. I hope Elko and his agent got a good laugh when they saw Jason fucking Garrett was Duke's backup option. Really wish he would've called Duke's bluff.

Yep. Either way Duke handled their search miles better than UVA, and in my opinion got a better coach than either VA school.

We’ll see who Elko brings in as his OC.

He probably did and made them crawl back

I'm somewhat surprised in that I thought he could land somewhere much higher than Duke as a HC.

There just aren’t that many Power V openings each year. If he is competitive at Duke, he will have big time options.

WF’s schedule just got harder. Clawson had owned Duke in recent years

To piggyback on Pilch's point about not many P5 jobs open each year -- fewer jobs go to defensive coaches each year. This year is kind of an exception because Venables finally left Clemson, Elko to Duke, and Dan Lanning is ... well, we'll see on him to Oregon.

But ADs want offensive coaches because even if they're mildly successful, points = excitement and butts in seats.

Throw in the fact that Elko was making over $2 mil/year, most G5 jobs would be a pay cut for him. Guy wanted to be a head coach instead of getting to the point Venables was at, waiting until the perfect storm to get his shot when he's 50.

like a month ago people were posting about how VT fans didnt want clawson and were defending that take and duke just hired a sexier version of their hire

maybe we should pump the brakes a bit on Elko/spurrier comparisons.

Elmo will be good. This is akin to them hiring Spurrier in late 80’s.

If he has any level of success then I don’t he’ll be there long. He has always jumped for what he perceives as better opportunities.

Recruiting to Duke is at worst the same as Wake but probably slightly easier, it’s in a way easier division and if you win 8 games the big boys will come calling. It’s a better job than UVA in my opinion.

Back