• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Recruiting to Duke is at worst the same as Wake but probably slightly easier, it’s in a way easier division and if you win 8 games the big boys will come calling. It’s a better job than UVA in my opinion.

I’m not aware of any big boys calling on Clawson after he won 8 games in 2017 and again in 2019

It’s probably the best possible hire by Duke.

No idea if it’ll work out, but it’s a good hire.

Was really hoping they’d inexplicably hire Garrett.

Who cares. Duke is an absolute disaster right now. I firmly believe that Elko could have landed a much better head coaching job. They are miles in our rear view and he’ll have his work cut out for him just to get them back to a respectable level. Very few coaches are capable of what Clawson has done in rebuilding a program.

Who cares. Duke is an absolute disaster right now. I firmly believe that Elko could have landed a much better head coaching job. They are miles in our rear view and he’ll have his work cut out for him just to get them back to a respectable level. Very few coaches are capable of what Clawson has done in rebuilding a program.

All the respect in the world for Elko, but let’s remember that Clawson had done this 3 previous times before Wake. Elko has never been a head coach at any level. This is going to be a challenge.

Guess it'll be Stanford's turn to hire somebody from the Clawson tree next year

Elko to Duke makes sense. He has the blueprint for rebuilding a football program at a private school with high academics. He knows what Duke must do if they value a decent football program and likely received assurances they will provide what is needed. He won't have a lot of immediate pressure and will be given the necessary time to put his plan into action. If he succeeds he can make the step up to a higher profile job or remain at Duke. The presence of K will be gone before he coaches his first game.

The idea that Duke is following the footsteps of Wake Forest is quite a compliment and won't be overlooked by the media. "Wake Forest transfer KWIII" has been a frequent comment all season in an area of the country that still asks..."what's a wake forest ?" The fact that the Demon Deacons answered the question by joining the CFP discussion was a timely answer to that question. Positive national press never hurts.

Last edited:
With Oregon expected to hire Dan Lanning, that leaves Temple as the only FBS program without a head coach.

Temple is probably waiting to see if the Panthers lose to the Falcons tomorrow.

I’m bummed about Elko to Duke mostly because it knocks him out as a potential replacement if/when Clawson moves on.

I’m not aware of any big boys calling on Clawson after he won 8 games in 2017 and again in 2019

Elko’s pre-Duke background is a lot more appealing to a ‘big time program’ than Clawson’s pre-Wake background. Honestly I would have thought he would already be in the running for a mid tier SEC job without any HC experience.

Penn State hired Manny Diaz as DC. I was honestly hoping he was on our radar.

Penn State hired Manny Diaz as DC. I was honestly hoping he was on our radar.

He probably was, but there are a lot of programs looking to hire a DC right now. We aren't going to get one of the huge names out there, not when LSU, Notre Dame, Miami and Florida are hunting.

He probably was, but there are a lot of programs looking to hire a DC right now. We aren't going to get one of the huge names out there, not when LSU, Notre Dame, Miami and Florida are hunting.

I'm almost positive Clawson thinks our defense was pretty good this year, just inconsistent. We will not be in the market for a D coordinator.

Back