• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

The stars have aligned where Wake is having a season in the Top 10 in the nation and 3 of the Top 15 jobs in the county are open in the same cycle in addition to “better jobs on paper” in Washington and VT. It doesn’t take into account the cascading effect of jobs like ND, Penn State, and Michigan State being becoming open so yes- there is going to be concern. I know what he said but he’s been here 8 years now and has vastly improved our program. This isn’t a LOWF inferiority complex - the reality is coaches move on in most scenarios like this.

That all being said- Penn State extending James Franklin is huge and keeps that job off market atleast this year. I agree that VT isn’t going to interest DC but Washington or Florida might. DC isn’t going to be a candidate for LSU or USC but if he is - can’t fault him for taking those.

Since some of y'all seem intent on fretting over the possibility of Clawson leaving, I feel compelled to ask which of these things do you deem to be true?

1) Clawson's public comments when he took this job were all bullshit and he was lying through his teeth.
2) The situation has changed so drastically as to warrant the acceptance of a completely new reality.
3) You're timid little pussies who naturally believe that catastrophe hides around every corner.
4) I have misunderstood everything that y'all have posted.

I'm in camp 2 on Clawson. Reality has changed drastically since he came to Wake.
1. Name, Image and Likeness payments to players. Also expect some sort of pay for performance (maybe academics) to start happening in a year or so.
2. Transfer portal with immediate eligibility for incoming transfers. If the one year sit out rule was in place, KWIII would have been playing at Wake or serving as opposition imitator running back at MSU. He would have played zero snaps, have zero carries, zero yards, zero TDs and zero mentions for Heisman.

3. Conference Championship. Not quite in his hand, but very clear path to it. Clawson has made moves after winning Conference championship. One of his stated goals upon arrival at Wake. Presumably his goal is a national championship. Does he see success at Wake peaking with a Conference Championship?

As stated multiple times - we need to be able to attract bigger and faster guys on Defense for us to take that next step as a program (whether that’s winning conference title or getting to CFP). Save the Fresh Deacs, we’ve never had a defense unit like in that ever though we’ve had individual guys that have been NFL players on that side of the ball that for most part were largely diamond in the rough players (Boogie, Jessie Bates, Kevin Johnson, Marques Lee, Kyle Wilbur, Josh Bush, etc.).

How do we attract better players? Facilities- check. Success on the field- check. We’re never gonna have an 80,000 (or even a 60,000) seat stadium so how do we get past that? Should we “adjust” academic standards to cast a wider net? I do think transfer portal is going to be huge for us to get more guys like that. Our 2 best players on defense this year have been Fox and Vilain. Neither one of those guys are here without portal

The portal can be huge for us. Get guys like Vilian and Turner who aren't happy with PT from a big program like Michigan. You've got really good players at schools that recruit well that may be 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart. Bama's 3rd team DT is 6'3", 305 and i'm sure not a stiff. If you can get a few of those guys from other higher profile programs each year it could make a huge difference.

Any chance we can lure Elko back, take a step up in programs (joke, chill out guys) and put him in line for HC when/if DC leaves? Open the pocketbooks!!!

Is this a new thing that ESPN shouts out the donors who made an extension happen?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ker-agrees-new-long-term-contract-sources-say

861ef76c8cb78b393c9888379ab11cad.jpg

Well no one knows if Mel Tucker is actually good or if KW3 is just that good. Obviously down quickly to OSU a RB was useless so jury seems way out on Tucker.

Even the biggest Wake homers have to understand that despite previous statements and the comfort of the Wake situation circumstances could easily change if a seemingly right fit with EXTRA RIGHT money comes calling.

The only thing worth asking / arguing about is which programs might qualify as that "right fit". I personally want to believe that the venn diagram of schools that might interest clawson / schools that would be interested in clawson is very small. I do believe Virginia Tech is interested in Clawson and he'd at least listen to them. I do believe Clawson is somewhere way lower down on Florida's list and he would definitely listen if they called.

Thanks for your well-reasoned response. Since I live in Virginia I will say that, in my opinion, Clawson's time at U of R would preclude him having any serious interest in Va.Tech. But that might be because I live in Virginia.

Last edited:
As stated multiple times - we need to be able to attract bigger and faster guys on Defense for us to take that next step as a program (whether that’s winning conference title or getting to CFP). Save the Fresh Deacs, we’ve never had a defense unit like in that ever though we’ve had individual guys that have been NFL players on that side of the ball that for most part were largely diamond in the rough players (Boogie, Jessie Bates, Kevin Johnson, Marques Lee, Kyle Wilbur, Josh Bush, etc.).

How do we attract better players? Facilities- check. Success on the field- check. We’re never gonna have an 80,000 (or even a 60,000) seat stadium so how do we get past that? Should we “adjust” academic standards to cast a wider net? I do think transfer portal is going to be huge for us to get more guys like that. Our 2 best players on defense this year have been Fox and Vilain. Neither one of those guys are here without portal

Wake managed to sign better high school defensive players in years past. Need to be able to do that again and supplement with a portal win (not all are) here and there.

Back