• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I get FIU, you are being paid good money to live in Miami. Georgia State, and being in Atlanta I am sure makes sense to some people (not me, never would move there). Jacksonville, Alabama and Prairie View, Texas, a little tougher for me to comprehend.

I would think Sumlin would still be a desired coordinator somewhere a little more marquee. Rich Rod, I don't know about after his season at ULM. Maybe they prefer being a coach than being a coordinator.

Some guys just like to be "in charge," and it doesn't matter as much what they are in charge of.

I get FIU, you are being paid good money to live in Miami. Georgia State, and being in Atlanta I am sure makes sense to some people (not me, never would move there). Jacksonville, Alabama and Prairie View, Texas, a little tougher for me to comprehend.

I would think Sumlin would still be a desired coordinator somewhere a little more marquee. Rich Rod, I don't know about after his season at ULM. Maybe they prefer being a coach than being a coordinator.

Sumlin can live somewhere like Katy or Cypress and get to PVAMU easily. There's almost nothing in Prairie View. Your point stands, though. That has to be one of the worst D1 gigs.

Now you can add another to that list. Hue Jackson just took the Grambling State job.

Calvin Johnson preceded Johnson at GT, but he was underutilized by Chan Gailey. Under Johnson, GT had Demaryius Thomas who was a super-talented and first round pick. He only played 3 years, before going pro. In his junior (and last year), Thomas had only 46 catches in 14 games, but he AVERAGED 25 yards a catch. In that offense, if you have a QB with any arm talent and a decent receiver, he is going to be wide-ass open a lot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...emaryius-thomas-33-found-dead-home-police-say :tear:

Chan Gailey 2.0.

Guy has the personality of a fence-post and no college experience. Maybe Duke is hoping the HS coaches will be smitten with meeting the former HC of "America's Team".

Duke has an inferiority complex with respect to Harvard, Princeton, and Penn. This suggested Elko since he's a Penn grad. But Garrett played QB at Princeton and transferred to Columbia. He still holds the Ivy League career record for completion percentage.

Pretty good results all around if they hold. Clemson hopefully gets weaker, Duke hires what could be an absolute dumpster fire, I don't have to cheer against Gattis or Elko. Would've been ok with Gattis at UVA I guess, but never want a coach I like at Duke.

Miami is the only Coastal vacancy that was a definite upgrade and they're not even on our schedule going forward.

Don't understand how a reasonable person (or group of people) could look at the background of Mike Elko, Josh Gattis and Jason Garrett, and determine that Jason Garrett is the most likely to succeed as a head football coach at Duke. Jason Garrett has never coached on the college level. His last exposure to college football was as a player at Columbia more than 30 years ago. Even if Garrett (who was just fired mid-season by the Giants for being a crappy OC) had demonstrated transformative X and O skills as a football coach, there are so many elements of college football that are night and day different than the NFL that Garrett's complete lack of experience on the college level would/should make it impossible to rate Garrett as the preferred hire over Gattis and Elko. Can't wait to see the make up of Garrett's staff.

Back