• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I'm not sure how many P5 jobs are going to hire coordinators in this cycle. And he's not considered a top-tier coordinator either.

Which is all well and good, but not a reason he should take the Duke job either.

I also thought Gattis would be attractive to Duke. Durham native. Knows what it’s like to play at an academically rigorous school. Good recruiter.

From his perspective, he’s going home and the pressure won’t be immediate.

Which is all well and good, but not a reason he should take the Duke job either.

I’m not gonna pretend to know what’s in JG’s head but as previously stated- this isn’t the best cycle for P5 coordinators to take next step. If he plays his cards right and gets ship moving in right direction at Michigan- we can likely wait a few years and get a much better job than Duke. JG is 37- plenty of time to make that move. It’s not like he’s 50 and clock is ticking on him being a HC.

so is miami’s new AD actively trying to find a new coach without firing manny diaz just in case he doesn’t find a coach he likes? seems like a bad idea in practice.

I’m not gonna pretend to know what’s in JG’s head but as previously stated- this isn’t the best cycle for P5 coordinators to take next step. If he plays his cards right and gets ship moving in right direction at Michigan- we can likely wait a few years and get a much better job than Duke. JG is 37- plenty of time to make that move. It’s not like he’s 50 and clock is ticking on him being a HC.

Which jobs are you thinking about?

so is miami’s new AD actively trying to find a new coach without firing manny diaz just in case he doesn’t find a coach he likes? seems like a bad idea in practice.

As crazy as this sounds - they might not be competitive in this cycle to attract a great hire due to a lot of extensions for good candidates (Franklin, DC, Tucker, Aranada) and other “better” jobs still being open- LSU, OU, and potentially A&M if Jimbo is the guy for LSU. Not to mention that Florida and USC (which are better jobs)- have already been filled with guys who looking would have looked at Miami - ie Napier.

Which jobs are you thinking about?

I think in next 3-5 years the following jobs will be open: Vanderbilt (seems like a revolving door), UNC (Mack has 2-3 more years), Tennessee (revolving door there), ND (feel like Kelly has reached the ceiling), Penn State (Franklin ain’t staying there for good). All of those jobs are better than Duke and there will be some big SEC/Big Ten jobs that are bound to come open. Will Ryan Day move from tOSU to NFL? Heck - no one though OU would be open this cycle. What kinda job does JG want for his first HC job? As stated previously- most of the top coaches today came up as P5 Coordinators.

lol the only one out of those you listed that will hire a coordinator is vanderbilt.

I think in next 3-5 years the following jobs will be open: Vanderbilt (seems like a revolving door), UNC (Mack has 2-3 more years), Tennessee (revolving door there), ND (feel like Kelly has reached the ceiling), Penn State (Franklin ain’t staying there for good). All of those jobs are better than Duke and there will be some big SEC/Big Ten jobs that are bound to come open. Will Ryan Day move from tOSU to NFL? Heck - no one though OU would be open this cycle. What kinda job does JG want for his first HC job? As stated previously- most of the top coaches today came up as P5 Coordinators.

I don't think Vandy is a better job than Duke. Heck, Cut at least showed you can win a division title at Duke. It would be miraculous to do that at Vandy. Plus, because of hoops, Duke is a national name.

I don't think Vandy is a better job than Duke. Heck, Cut at least showed you can win a division title at Duke. It would be miraculous to do that at Vandy. Plus, because of hoops, Duke is a national name.

Yeah, but no income tax in Tennessee!

Did I do that right?

For Josh Gattis to get an offer from ND or TN, he would need to show that he can win as a HC at school like Duke. Also, Vandy is not a better job than Duke. Cutcliffe won 10 games at Duke, taking them to the ACCCG and the Peach Bowl. He had 3 other seasons winning 8+ games. That’s a higher ceiling than Vandy who will never win their Division or play in a NY6 Bowl

If next year goes like this year, then Mack Brown has 1 more year at UNC.

The holes I talk to blame him for the performance while applauding those doing the recruiting.

The holes I talk to blame him for the performance while applauding those doing the recruiting.

Mack won’t make it through the year after a trip to Boone

The elitism on this board is dumb. Riley isn't leaving because of any perceived increase in quality of life. He is leaving because he isn't happy that Oklahoma is going to the SEC. The new SEC is going to be a blood bath and it is going to decrease the job stability for a lot of coaches. Pretty simple stuff.

Yes. Because he's a pussy, basically. Afraid of putting together an underachieving season like the one he just had in which those 7 point wins become 7 point losses.

OU will find somebody who isn't afraid to coach in the SEC, somebody who knows all the tricks, and somebody whose teams will fucking tackle.

LR's stock wasn't going to get any higher. There's a pretty consistent trajectory of his time at OU. Close playoff loss, not a close playoff loss, destroyed in the playoff, no playoff, no conference title. Now plenty of people would be happy with that, but the trajectory is concerning, especially since the recruiting has been markedly better. This season, for whatever reason (maybe because his mind was elsewhere) was a failure, even at 10-2. Too many close games in a conference and with an OOC schedule that should've lended itself to blowouts, week after week. One QB who regressed from the end of last season and another who started on fire and finished worse than Rattler finished last year. OL play that was mostly horrible. Important players hitting the State Prison Portal. Week after week of "we're so close to getting to where we need to be."

And that's the problem OU has right now. Stoops stops some bleeding, but it's still a gusher. Two 5 star kids for 2023 already decommitted, more to follow. 2022 class likely to suffer too. Because of the transfer portal, OU is fucked for the foreseeable future unless they hit a homerun. Castiglione has a good record of hiring great coaches over his tenure, but it's a new era right now.

Honestly he doesn't look like he's doing much coaching. He never has his mouth piece down on his head phone, he seems to wander aimlessly on the sidelines and he break outs a pad and jots things down at times just like Bowden did when he was basically an empty figure head at FSU. I just don't think that model works well any more, I think players respect a coach more if he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. There's only some many euphemisms about life a coach like that can give to kids.

Honestly he doesn't look like he's doing much coaching. He never has his mouth piece down on his head phone, he seems to wander aimlessly on the sidelines and he break outs a pad and jots things down at times just like Bowden did when he was basically an empty figure head at FSU. I just don't think that model works well any more, I think players respect a coach more if he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. There's only some many euphemisms about life a coach like that can give to kids.

Yeah and he also thinks you can just impasse more talent and don’t have to scheme and coach- yes that strategy worked during his first tenure at UNC and Texas but game has changed so much in 30 years. If he was smart- he should retire now - has “stabilized” program and increased their recruiting. A decent coach would walk into a great situation - but he won’t - will stay 2 or 3 more years longer than he should as much like Bobby Bowden - game has passed him by. Bobby (and Frank Beamer for that matter) should’ve retired 5 years before he eventually did. Same will likely be case for Mack.

Hasn’t hurt the hole’s recruiting.

Hasn’t hurt the hole’s recruiting.

Yeah, but if you're a tarhole fan, this year had to really suck. Top 10 preseason, in a down year for the ACC as a whole and the best you can do is barely make a bowl. Got to imagine those "Mack is Back" shirts aren't getting much wear right now.

Back