• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

I think Kevin Higgins deserves more credit for the success of the Wide Receivers.

Very true. Because Higgins does such a good job with the receivers, almost every play Wake runs is a threat to score. The three starters look really good, and the young guys behind them have shown some serious promise in limited reps.

When Greene is back it would be interesting if Wake ran a four wide set and gave the opposing defenses the unenviable task of covering them all at once.

Today’s game provided more evidence that we need to run a tradition offense.

For all the talk about Clawson leaving for USC or whatever, I think the more likely scenario will be if we keep winning games, we could expect Ruggiero or Higgins to be getting some looks for a UCONN or Georgia Southern type job. A high scoring offense of a ranked team could expect to lose some assistants.

Ruggiero doesn’t want to be a head coach and Higgins is probably closer to retirement than a head job.

Texas Tech HC, Matt Wells, is fired. Guess is they'll probably hire Sonny Dykes (SMU HC, longtime Tech HC's son) or Jeff Traylor (UTSA HC)

Don't get the timing of the move. Wells in this 3rd year. Texas Tech is 5-3 (2-3). They beat WV and KS; lost to Texas, TCU and K State. That's pretty much who Texas Tech is in most years.

Well that's confusing. He inherited a dumpster fire and they're one game away from bowl eligibility, albeit with a tough four games left. Then again, this is the school that ran Mike Leach out of town.

My guess is Tech wanted to fire Matt Wells before Tech becomes bowl eligible and builds momentum. They believe Tech is better in the long run with Dykes or Traylor than Wells even if they make a bowl this year.

Ruggiero doesn’t want to be a head coach and Higgins is probably closer to retirement than a head job.

Higgins has already been down that road. Citadel and Lehigh. My guess is he is happy in his role but could also be a candidate for HC if Clawson ever leaves WFU.

Higgins has already been down that road. Citadel and Lehigh. My guess is he is happy in his role but could also be a candidate for HC if Clawson ever leaves WFU.

He’s also going to be 66 in December. Love Higgins but I think our friends in Chapel Hill would caution us on hiring someone who is the wrong side of 65.

My guess is Tech wanted to fire Matt Wells before Tech becomes bowl eligible and builds momentum. They believe Tech is better in the long run with Dykes or Traylor than Wells even if they make a bowl this year.

Yep. If Wells was still on board this week when/if they beat OU (very possible if not likely given how the OU D has regressed), it makes it tough to fire the man.

Wouldn’t it be worse if the interim beat OU and there would be pressure to hire him?

Don't disagree with you or Ph re: Michigan State. Perhaps a poor example, but it does fit the midwest / B1G profile that I think Clawson might ultimately move to. Miami & VT are likely to fire their coaches, as well... Clawson wouldn't go to either of those places, but they might also lead to other openings that are more attractive to him.

Much will depend on what USC and LSU do. Of the two, LSU would be more likely but at least according to media speculation, Clawson simply isn't on anyone's list right now. Those are the only two schools with openings right now that represent a move up. If Franklin leaves PSU, that might be a possibility but I can't see Dave Clawson in Happy Valley. As far as I can tell, any other openings that become available following the post-season coaches' shuffle would be, at best lateral.

Don't disagree with you or Ph re: Michigan State. Perhaps a poor example, but it does fit the midwest / B1G profile that I think Clawson might ultimately move to. Miami & VT are likely to fire their coaches, as well... Clawson wouldn't go to either of those places, but they might also lead to other openings that are more attractive to him.

Where would Miami or VT hire from that could possibly be a realistic destination for Clawson?

Where would Miami or VT hire from that could possibly be a realistic destination for Clawson?

I have no idea. Maybe Cristobal leaves Oregon for Miami and then Oregon hires somebody away from a Clawson friendly destination.

It'll be a lot of musical chairs and Clawson will be on lists.

I'm not worried about it or trying to be LOWF... I just like to speculate on such things.

Back