• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Packer and " The Swiss"

Maybe Packer is referencing the deacons as a hol(e)y team..

"Swiss Rolls"- headline when we beat Louisville?

"Swiss Rolls"- headline when we beat Louisville?

That was my "go-to" dessert when I was a kid and took my lunch to school.

Not in favor of having shirts made but it doesn't bother me at all. Especially when his entire point was the Swiss are playing the best football in the conference right now. Not sure where the hate comes from. Mark Packer is what he is, but he isn't spewing the same nonsense you hear from all the other "national" media types.

Packer is fine, has us at the top of the league right now, doesn't give a crap about the college football playoff, which is the only thing anyone else ever talks about, and focuses exclusively on ACC content. He doesn't claim to offer in depth analysis and reporting. He's literally sitting in his basement talking about sports.

Your analysis of the program is spot-on. Packer would be the first to tell you that anyone who gets offended by an innocuous term like "the Swiss" from a balding, overweight guy in flip-flops broadcasting from his basement with two dogs asleep at his feet is taking the show and sports in general way too seriously.

Your analysis of the program is spot-on. Packer would be the first to tell you that anyone who gets offended by an innocuous term like "the Swiss" from a balding, overweight guy in flip-flops broadcasting from his basement with two dogs asleep at his feet is taking the show and sports in general way too seriously.

Were people offended, or were they just (correctly) calling it a stupid joke?

I knew a few Duke alums that hated WF during the 90's. Childress chunking his gum & basketball into the stands after winning games in Cameron didn't sit too well with some

Say what you will about the guy, but he’s usually pretty good for promoting wake and the ACC in general. He’s obvious compensated for that.

Say what you will about the guy, but he’s usually pretty good for promoting wake and the ACC in general. He’s obvious compensated for that.

Yep he found a niche and has made it work. People dog on the ACCN and of course it's B grade compared to ESPN, SECN, etc. but who gives a shit. I'm sitting here in 20 year old Wake sweat pants and typing on a message board about Wake football. The entire Game Day crew picked FSU to beat us, everyone on the Huddle picked us.

I think it was Josh Graham today (who isn't all that great either but is on the radio when I'm driving and covers the ACC) was talking about pretty much this. If you are worried about playoffs and national championships there's the NFL. College sports are best when there are traditional rivalries and almost every team has something to play for every game. I go to every home game, tailgate, and live to beat teams like fsu, duke, unc, state, uva. I couldn't give two fucks about whether the Pac 10 might get a team in the playoffs this year or whatever the morons on ESPN are blubbering about.

Today he hung a full-size "Swiss" flag (black background/gold cross) behind him on the set, in reference to his having the Deacs #1 in his current conference rankings. For a flag pole he used a Seminole mascot spear; said that since we owned them on the field it's only appropriate that they should have to hold up our flag. If that offends Wake fans, can't imagine how Seminole Nation feels about it.

Today he hung a full-size "Swiss" flag (black background/gold cross) behind him on the set, in reference to his having the Deacs #1 in his current conference rankings. For a flag pole he used a Seminole mascot spear; said that since we owned them on the field it's only appropriate that they should have to hold up our flag. If that offends Wake fans, can't imagine how Seminole Nation feels about it.

The thought that this probably triggered so many donk FSU fans makes me so very, very happy.

I doubt FSU donks even watch Packer.

Yeah I like Packer. Calls it like he sees it and right now he sees us as best.

did anyone see the black and gold swiss flag today?

I woke up about 2am this morning and couldn't go right back to sleep, so I turned on TV and they were replaying Packer and Durham and I watched a little bit. I have to say it's a little annoying because I watched probably 20 minutes and while they mentioned us a lot, they called us "The Swiss" every time, so it's gets a little old. It's one thing to mix it in a little bit, but call us "Wake" or the "The Deacs" primarily. I mean it's not just Packer, but Durham is like that pathetic friend that thinks you're cool and so they just repeat everything "cool" thing you say to try to look cook too, but they just end up looking like a donk.

I'm guessing the students don't concern themselves with P&D's Swiss moniker, so it doesn't have legs if it doesn't attract students.

Back