• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Packer and " The Swiss"

Are you kidding? NCSU hates WFU, and many ASU alums do, although not as badly as in the past.

No, State hates UNC and Duke. They're apathetic about Wake. And why would App people care at all about Wake? It's not the 70s.

I wonder who Packer's 2nd and 3rd chins picked?

243301732_841057766592449_1232307332139265969_n.jpg

In fairness, we are everyone's second favorite ACC team.

There's got to be a way to lean into this with looking weak. It should be a positive that helps us get more national attention.

fuck that. we're everyone's second favorite team because they can count on us never winning and them being able to look down on us forever. No one hates lovable losers.

fuck that. we're everyone's second favorite team because they can count on us never winning and them being able to look down on us forever. No one hates lovable losers.

You're not a lovable loser if you're not losing. Then you have the potential of becoming a lovable winner.

We've seen it happen in other sports. People didn't care about the Bucks until Giannis. Now they're lovable winners with an unhateable star. The Hawks have gone from a likable decent franchise to a likeable winner (except for Knicks fans). The Chiefs were pretty neutral now they're likeable.

I think Wake Football could be a loveable winner. How many people out there want to see someone else make the CFP? Wake would get a lot of love for breaking through and some good hate too.

Were we supposed to know who Mark Packer is? And why would we care about anything he says?

Agree we should not embrace or certainly try to marker the "Swiss" thing, but to be offended by Packer's angle is just another LOWF reaction. Packer doesn't say nobody cares about or respects us, but says as a small private that does things the right way and with integrity and usually punches above its weight class, fans of other schools generally like to see us do well "except when your team is playing them" (his quote yesterday). He talks frequently bout our "beautiful" campus and football facility, and his interactions with Forbes and Clawson come across with both respect and "likeability", which is not always the case with other coaches he has on the program. Heck, yesterday he spent several minute talking about Wake golf in the 70's/80's and how Jesse Haddock is one the greatest ACC coaches regardless of sport.
I'm actually generally surprised how much air time we get compared to the other 14 schools in the conference; if some of that includes our being the "Swiss" not a big deal.

Sorry, I inferred that he must be related to Billy Packer, but I try not to pay attention to that asshat either.

He's Billy's son. Billy also has a sister who looks like a female version of him.

Sorry, I inferred that he must be related to Billy Packer, but I try not to pay attention to that asshat either.

I see you are in Savannah, so consider yourself lucky you didn't know who he is. Hard not to be aware if you live in NC and follow local sports. His old talk show on Charlotte FM was awful - lowest common denominator radio. His current gig is better but still pretty unpolished.

I grew up as a GA Tech fan in Atlanta when Wake was anything but a "lovable loser" in basketball. Every year Duke had a guy you wanted to punch, UNC made a mockery of scholastics, Maryland trash fans threw batteries at people, NC State was bunch of hicks and rednecks waving confederate flags, and nobody else was really in the rivalry zone of the old ACC. Maybe UVA and Wake were similarly neutral, but UVA was a big state school and Wake was tiny - always an underdog. Combine our size, the fact that our players were generally nice/positive humans, and that we were centrally located to all the hated rivalries - definitely a common theme to say you wish your team was winning but it was cool to see Wake win if not.

Packer didn't coin the Swiss thing, it's not even a saying that's unique to Wake. We're just a small, likable, well-run program that's easy to root for and doesn't have any deep-seeded historic rivalries. We get ranked 24th and suddenly everything is a slight against us, the mesh offense sucks, a Kenneth Walker thread is #1 on the board... Man we suck as a fanbase sometimes.

Not in favor of having shirts made but it doesn't bother me at all. Especially when his entire point was the Swiss are playing the best football in the conference right now. Not sure where the hate comes from. Mark Packer is what he is, but he isn't spewing the same nonsense you hear from all the other "national" media types.

Packer is fine, has us at the top of the league right now, doesn't give a crap about the college football playoff, which is the only thing anyone else ever talks about, and focuses exclusively on ACC content. He doesn't claim to offer in depth analysis and reporting. He's literally sitting in his basement talking about sports.

Back