• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grad students too, man. I don't know how to help my students anymore. One of them is royally struggling and it is all emotional and mental stress, she is totally technically capable of doing the work, but she is just blocking her self from finishing. I really want to help but I don't know how.

i'm literally one as we speak AMA

i'm literally one as we speak AMA

I feel for you guys. I made a (so far) career long network and friends in grad school. The opportunities to decompress with compatriots, the chance to bounce ideas off each other, the chance to get help on an analysis, to prep for comprehensive exams...and so much more, are basically non-existent now.

My student is like 80% done with her thesis but hasn't shared a single page with me for review. The deadline to defend is December 15th or she'll have to pay tuition for next semester, and I don't think she is going to make it. I already found her an extra semester of stipend and tuition waiver when she didn't finish in August, I meet with her twice a week. I try to motivate her with positive re-enforcement, I gave her my personal cell number and told her to call me any time. I've gone so far as to write the code for her analysis and for making figures of the results. I keep telling here that I am here for support and to help her be successful not to test her and judge her, but man she is just like crippled with anxiety. I don't know how else to help.

I feel for you guys. I made a (so far) career long network and friends in grad school. The opportunities to decompress with compatriots, the chance to bounce ideas off each other, the chance to get help on an analysis, to prep for comprehensive exams...and so much more, are basically non-existent now.

My student is like 80% done with her thesis but hasn't shared a single page with me for review. The deadline to defend is December 15th or she'll have to pay tuition for next semester, and I don't think she is going to make it. I already found her an extra semester of stipend and tuition waiver when she didn't finish in August, I meet with her twice a week. I try to motivate her with positive re-enforcement, I gave her my personal cell number and told her to call me any time. I've gone so far as to write the code for her analysis and for making figures of the results. I keep telling here that I am here for support and to help her be successful not to test her and judge her, but man she is just like crippled with anxiety. I don't know how else to help.

Your student is very lucky to have you, is all I’ll say. I wish I had teachers like you and Mako in my career.

PM sent.

Goddamn dude so sorry to hear that. I’m terrified of shit like that happening to people close to me.

Dude. You're going above and beyond. What a great teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back