• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
give the kids what they want

give the kids titus andronicus

on the recommendation of the Netflix thread, I've been watching Mr. Inbetween and there is a scene where R+J is being read and it's a gut punch whew

Plus my kids are about Romeo and Juliet's age and they can totally relate with the whole hormones make you do stupid shit thing. "Romeo is a simp" is one of the most insightful things ever said in my class.

If we're being real though I don't even really like Shakespeare. Vastly prefer teaching Ibsen and Miller.

You know your audience (and goals) better than I do. But I'd teach a comedy. Something easy. As You Like It has a wrestling match, two simps, and cross-dressing. Lots to historicize from class markers and dialect to men and boys playing all the parts on the stage.

There are dick jokes in every play, believe it or not.

R+J is good I guess because it's pretty anodyne. Can't do titus or merchant or Othello if you don't want to talk race or shrew with gender or any of the history plays if you're not wanting to spend much time on actual history (which I'm not).

If the kids love it then I take back my objection.

So what about something that says "do not expose to direct sunlight" - would you feel comfortable leaving that sit on a table outside but under an awning?

oh yes definitely

don't leave it in your car

You know your audience (and goals) better than I do. But I'd teach a comedy. Something easy. As You Like It has a wrestling match, two simps, and cross-dressing. Lots to historicize from class markers and dialect to men and boys playing all the parts on the stage.

There are dick jokes in every play, believe it or not.

R+J is good I guess because it's pretty anodyne. Can't do titus or merchant or Othello if you don't want to talk race or shrew with gender or any of the history plays if you're not wanting to spend much time on actual history (which I'm not).

If the kids love it then I take back my objection.

We do R+J freshman year, King Lear Soph, Othello Jr and Hamlet with Honors/Macbeth with basic senior year. I never really dug any of the comedies anyway. Titus is the shit. Did you dig the Julie Taymor version?

What are your favorite and least favorite things that you read in high school?

Also, anyone ever read Ethan Frome? I still teach that book, probably more because I love it than any other reason.

Also, anyone ever read Ethan Frome? I still teach that book, probably more because I love it than any other reason.

I'm probably forgetting some, but my first reaction was that my favorite was Animal Farm (maybe because it was early high school when I still really enjoyed reading) and my least favorite by far was Heart of Darkness

We do R+J freshman year, King Lear Soph, Othello Jr and Hamlet with Honors/Macbeth with basic senior year. I never really dug any of the comedies anyway. Titus is the shit. Did you dig the Julie Taymor version?

Decent list! Though I tend to prefer to teach outside the greatest hits.

Titus is def my favorite. Taymor is batshit insane and I always teach scenes from it alongside titus

I'm probably forgetting some, but my first reaction was that my favorite was Animal Farm (maybe because it was early high school when I still really enjoyed reading) and my least favorite by far was Heart of Darkness

Read Ethan frome and animal farm on my own. Heart of darkness was my favorite and probably why I kept on with the studying

loved: the sound and the fury, death be not proud, do not go gentle, the waking (by Roethke)

hated: the awakening

oh yeah add beloved to my "hated" AP Lit list

i think the only way you can truly love the Awakening is contextually

though I guess that's true of everything when you think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back