• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
CT Whatever: WE GOT GRUDEN!!!!!

mako, you ever read her short story "Recitatif?" I think it's fucking brilliant (and teach that one, too).

I’ve planned to teach "recitatif" too but haven’t had the opportunity

Favorite Book was The Great Gatsby

Hated The Awakening. Didn’t actually finish it, which is probably one of two books I’ve started and not finished.

The other is a Teddy Roosevelt biography that covers his childhood and early political career. Started it on the baby moon for my son who just turned 3.

I’ve planned to teach "recitatif" too but haven’t had the opportunity

would love to hear how it goes when you do

my field isn't the most conducive for teaching fiction and drama, but sometimes my students really get into it

this goes right along with this hifalutin chatting

would love to hear how it goes when you do

my field isn't the most conducive for teaching fiction and drama, but sometimes my students really get into it

Maybe I’ll shoehorn it in in spring 2023. I’m teaching something where it might fit well

mako, you ever read her short story "Recitatif?" I think it's fucking brilliant (and teach that one, too).

Do y'all litcrit fans like Playing in the Dark? I haven't read much crit, but I love that book so much.

I haven’t. Honestly I probably need to treat Morrison like Melville and give her another shot from the perspective of a 40yo.

I don’t really challenge myself as much with my reading for pleasure anymore. I kind of prefer mindless pulp now.

I recall hating Heart of Darkness and Tess of the d'Urbervilles, though couldn't tell you anything about either. I remember liking The Chosen and A Day in the Life of Ivan D., but again, I don't really remember anything about either. I was definitely more of a science and math guy in HS and so I didn't really vibe with my English classes, so I'm not surprised that not a lot of it stuck.

when i was in high school i legit thought that any symbolism was invented by the teachers. i was an idiot

I’ve started teaching some Boll in my world lit classes after I teach Night mainly just because I dig him so much and my kids have enjoyed it.

Who do you think has made more in royalties from their one hit? DJ Casper (Cha Cha Slide) or DJ Kool (Let Me Clear My Throat)?

when i was in high school i legit thought that any symbolism was invented by the teachers. i was an idiot

Symbolism is kinda dumb, in my opinion, and the breathless search for it in many school English classes is what turns off students like wfudkn, who see themselves as STEM thinkers. The inevitable result is that students think like digger that their teachers are conjuring meaning out of thin air or that there are simply "tribble" types who are exceptionally talented at discovering hidden meaning.

In lower-level classes I teach literary analysis not unlike the scientific process, require that students show their work, and focus on the skill of close reading rather than "interpretation" — another bullshitty idea that convinces people that what we’re doing is somehow esoteric and arcane rather than simply observation, contextualization, and argumentation. Everybody can be good at that.

Most enjoyed: A Farewell to Arms, Animal Farm, Things Fall Apart, Night

Most hated: Madame Bovary, Jane Eyre

Most enjoyed: A Farewell to Arms, Animal Farm, Things Fall Apart, Night

Most hated: Madame Bovary, Jane Eyre
It's crazy, I didn't encounter a single one of these books in school. Nor most of the others on here. I guess the state curriculum gives a wide latitude to teachers to choose what to teach?

(We did read "Dawn" though, so close enough to "Night")

It's crazy, I didn't encounter a single one of these books in school. Nor most of the others on here. I guess the state curriculum gives a wide latitude to teachers to choose what to teach?

(We did read "Dawn" though, so close enough to "Night")

I don't think I ever read a handful of the ones listed here like Awakening or Beloved. And I was in an IB program which overlapped with AP English senior year. IDK.

When I see 3 pages of CT about literature.

abuelo-simpson.gif

Mako, how do you choose your texts?

Sounds like your shakespeare, at least, is decided by department or school committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back