• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I see 3 pages of CT about literature.

abuelo-simpson.gif

i do not come here for intellectual chit chat

Mako, how do you choose your texts?

Sounds like your shakespeare, at least, is decided by department or school committee

Yeah but outside of that we have autonomy. 9-basically whatever. 10 world lit. 11 American. 12 British. Our librarian is pretty good at finding money for class sets of novels that we want to teach and there’s only 4 of us so we just teach what we want and try not to step on each other’s toes. We had a lady a few years ago that taught a shitload of Ayn Rand so that freedom isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. I wasn’t sad to see her retire.

Doesn't have to be intellectual. Lots of intersections here between people's high school experiences, professional lives, and what they enjoy reading.

If, like a guy I spoke to today, you haven't read a book since your deployment to Bosnia in 1996, maybe today is the day. I bet you can get some good recommendations around here

I want a recommendation. I'm looking for a story, preferably fiction, with good character development and no story lines involving child abuse or abject tragedy. Bonus points if there's not a war as part of the plot.
Basically I'm looking for an escape that has a little more substance than a beach trash novel.

Yeah but outside of that we have autonomy. 9-basically whatever. 10 world lit. 11 American. 12 British. Our librarian is pretty good at finding money for class sets of novels that we want to teach and there’s only 4 of us so we just teach what we want and try not to step on each other’s toes. We had a lady a few years ago that taught a shitload of Ayn Rand so that freedom isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. I wasn’t sad to see her retire.
Sounds great. Do you teach all four grade levels? If so, you can pretty much cover anything you want

Doesn't have to be intellectual. Lots of intersections here between people's high school experiences, professional lives, and what they enjoy reading.

If, like a guy I spoke to today, you haven't read a book since your deployment to Bosnia in 1996, maybe today is the day. I bet you can get some good recommendations around here

look i've only got two things on my mind today. 1 - getting my ear unclogged so i can hear out of. 2 - barves.

Unfortunately the "unfortunate childhood" is a rich literary trope.

I want a recommendation. I'm looking for a story, preferably fiction, with good character development and no story lines involving child abuse or abject tragedy. Bonus points if there's not a war as part of the plot.
Basically I'm looking for an escape that has a little more substance than a beach trash novel.

lots of talk about 'literature' but i don't see any Dan Brown mentioned

I am enjoying The Secret History tho I am a philistine who can barely read or talk or write

I am enjoying The Secret History tho I am a philistine who can barely read or talk or write
It takes a depraved sort of person to really love donna tartt. I told you already but I'm designing an entire course around that novel, lol

I am reading a series of James Patterson books right now, it's not going to win any literary awards but I don't mind sometimes reading stuff that takes minimal brain power to get through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back