• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading a series of James Patterson books right now, it's not going to win any literary awards but I don't mind sometimes reading stuff that takes minimal brain power to get through
I don't think anybody would judge you for that. It's all most of us can manage in our limited free time.

Dan Brown, on the other hand, wants everyone to know how smart he is. That's why when he gets it desperately wrong it matters whereas nobody gives a shit if National Treasure isn't realistic

I am reading a series of James Patterson books right now, it's not going to win any literary awards but I don't mind sometimes reading stuff that takes minimal brain power to get through

Bro basically all Townie and I use this thread for is to talk about Stephen King. You’re good.

I've enjoyed the Dan Brown books enough knowing they're complete trash and all wrong. But I guess they keep me entertained enough. We're currently watching the Lost Symbol series on Peacock, which is weird since it's supposedly a prequel to the Tom Hanks version of the character from the movies, but it takes place in current day. It's not great tv by any means, but it's ok. Not gonna win any Emmys for sure.

I don't think anybody would judge you for that. It's all most of us can manage in our limited free time.

Dan Brown, on the other hand, wants everyone to know how smart he is. That's why when he gets it desperately wrong it matters whereas nobody gives a shit if National Treasure isn't realistic

This post led me to furious googling about whether the National Treasure movies are based on a book. I'd read the hell out of that as long as the part where the Declaration of Independence almost gets put in a kitchen oven is still in there somewhere

I’ve just been reading whatever is on Amazon unlimited for my kindle. I really just need something that doesn’t take a whole lot of effort and can put me to sleep.

Bro basically all Townie and I use this thread for is to talk about Stephen King. You’re good.

I've never read a Stephen King novel, I am ashamed to say. The closest I've ever gotten is re-reading the Stephen King Mafia game thread.

I've enjoyed the Dan Brown books enough knowing they're complete trash and all wrong. But I guess they keep me entertained enough. We're currently watching the Lost Symbol series on Peacock, which is weird since it's supposedly a prequel to the Tom Hanks version of the character from the movies, but it takes place in current day. It's not great tv by any means, but it's ok. Not gonna win any Emmys for sure.
I've just started it and I'm going to start the book next week and see if I can get ahead of the series. Definitely trashy if you are invested in the public's perception of how actual history and methods and scholarship (symbology! Lol!) operate, but also great fun to see what absolutely ridiculous super-heroic intellectual abilities Brown can attribute to a single person.

It's only dangerous if people start believing in his conspiracy-driven psuedo-histories of academic problem-solving

dan brown is just a poor man's umberto eco don't @ me

I rarely read fiction and I guess I just no longer have the patience for reading real deep, meaningful books. I got enough of that as an English major. Most of what I do read is nonfiction. I want to pick up Drew Magary's new memoir about his brain injury and recovery.

I'm also bad about reading books unless I'm on vacation by the beach or pool or flying, but now that I have a toddler, the days of relaxing by the pool or beach are donezo.

I've never read a Stephen King novel, I am ashamed to say. The closest I've ever gotten is re-reading the Stephen King Mafia game thread.

You a horror guy? You should start. There's a reason he's the most popular writer in history. Fun reads.

This post led me to furious googling about whether the National Treasure movies are based on a book. I'd read the hell out of that as long as the part where the Declaration of Independence almost gets put in a kitchen oven is still in there somewhere
I'm guessing it's not? Sorry I just picked the first thing that came to me.

Honestly, this sort of stuff is probably my favorite genre of pleasure reading and there's lots and lots of it out there, some of it remarkably thrilling and sometimes even kinda realistic in its methods.

First that come to mind, in varying degrees of seriousness: Codex by Lev Grossman; The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett (about Wake, sort of!); The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde; The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco; Possession by AS Byatt; Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (I think); A Burnable Book by UVA prof Bruce Holsinger; The Club Dumas by Arturo Reverte (I think), on which the Johnny Depp movie "The Ninth Gate" was based on

Actually LBE, read that Mr. Penumbra book. I think that'll do nicely for your interests and requirements.

My favorite semi-contemporary author is Tom Robbins. I love "Skinny Legs and All" and "Even Cow Girls Get the Blues." It's good literature and funny stuff.

You a horror guy? You should start. There's a reason he's the most popular writer in history. Fun reads.

I enjoy some good horror movies, I imagine I should move that interest to books since Mrs. Gooner hates horror movies so I rarely get to watch them anymore.

I've just started it and I'm going to start the book next week and see if I can get ahead of the series. Definitely trashy if you are invested in the public's perception of how actual history and methods and scholarship (symbology! Lol!) operate, but also great fun to see what absolutely ridiculous super-heroic intellectual abilities Brown can attribute to a single person.

It's only dangerous if people start believing in his conspiracy-driven psuedo-histories of academic problem-solving

The one thing I remember most from the Lost Symbol book is there's one part where Langdon is in a cab driving past Stanton Park on the Hill and I lived like a block from there at the time (and it's also not the way you'd go from the Capitol to Union Station or wherever he was going).

The one thing I remember most from the Lost Symbol book is there's one part where Langdon is in a cab driving past Stanton Park on the Hill and I lived like a block from there at the time (and it's also not the way you'd go from the Capitol to Union Station or wherever he was going).
Yeah it's exactly that kinda stuff that bothers me. I don't care at all if it's a wild fantasy but he goes for this tone of absolute seriousness and verisimilitude and fact that is largely convincing if you don't know otherwise. People believe this stuff!

Unfortunately the "unfortunate childhood" is a rich literary trope.

I rarely read fiction and I guess I just no longer have the patience for reading real deep, meaningful books. I got enough of that as an English major. Most of what I do read is nonfiction. I want to pick up Drew Magary's new memoir about his brain injury and recovery.

I'm also bad about reading books unless I'm on vacation by the beach or pool or flying, but now that I have a toddler, the days of relaxing by the pool or beach are donezo.

Sometimes I still throw a book in my bag if I'm going somewhere, and at the end of the day when I'm unloading whatever treasures toddler's given me (so many rocks and acorns) I pull out the book and think, "that was a cute idea."

Unfortunately the "unfortunate childhood" is a rich literary trope.

Yeah it's exactly that kinda stuff that bothers me. I don't care at all if it's a wild fantasy but he goes for this tone of absolute seriousness and verisimilitude and fact that is largely convincing if you don't know otherwise. People believe this stuff!

It's funny because I don't think anyone thought Indiana Jones was real... but because there's *juuuuust* enough mystery and stories around freemasons and stuff, people eat it up as possible fact. All it is is a new version of Indiana Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back