• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny because I don't think anyone thought Indiana Jones was real... but because there's *juuuuust* enough mystery and stories around freemasons and stuff, people eat it up as possible fact. All it is is a new version of Indiana Jones.

I was at a public meeting the other day in a small town and one of the attendees was a freemason and said he had to leave early and go up to the lodge. Another attendee started asking him questions about freemasons and ended with "do you wear those big, white hoods?" he was less than pleased with that mix up.

My favorite semi-contemporary author is Tom Robbins. I love "Skinny Legs and All" and "Even Cow Girls Get the Blues." It's good literature and funny stuff.

giphy.gif

My favorite semi-contemporary author is Tom Robbins. I love "Skinny Legs and All" and "Even Cow Girls Get the Blues." It's good literature and funny stuff.

The fact that you neglected to mention Still Life with Woodpecker means you need a new board handle. For shame.

It's funny because I don't think anyone thought Indiana Jones was real... but because there's *juuuuust* enough mystery and stories around freemasons and stuff, people eat it up as possible fact. All it is is a new version of Indiana Jones.

people who believe in qanon have a 100% overlap with people who believe dan brown

I was at a public meeting the other day in a small town and one of the attendees was a freemason and said he had to leave early and go up to the lodge. Another attendee started asking him questions about freemasons and ended with "do you wear those big, white hoods?" he was less than pleased with that mix up.

Yikes, that's a pretty big mix-up.

The difference with Indiana Jones, which is my absolute favorite and why I trained as an archeologist, is that it doesn't purport to be REAL (just as you say above) despite maintaining a serious tone. Nobody is supposed to believe that there's the Holy grail on the other side of an invisible footbridge. George Lucas was consciously drawing on a particular genre of cheap, adventure comics for boys.

But reading dan brown you ARE supposed to believe that there are hidden codes buried in da vinci's paintings just waiting for a secret cabal of evil Catholic priests to force a reluctant college professor to decode in a race across the world. These are entirely different in my mind.

All this to say that I agree with you on the first part and disagree on the second.

Lbe, did you see my list of recommendations?

The difference with Indiana Jones, which is my absolute favorite and why I trained as an archeologist, is that it doesn't purport to be REAL (just as you say above) despite maintaining a serious tone. Nobody is supposed to believe that there's the Holy grail on the other side of an invisible footbridge. George Lucas was consciously drawing on a particular genre of cheap, adventure comics for boys.

But reading dan brown you ARE supposed to believe that there are hidden codes buried in da vinci's paintings just waiting for a secret cabal of evil Catholic priests to force a reluctant college professor to decode in a race across the world. These are entirely different in my mind.

ooh i like this distinction

All this to say that I agree with you on the first part and disagree on the second.

Lbe, did you see my list of recommendations?

Fair point on the distinction between the two/Dan Brown's desire for things to be realistic and serious (though it is still surprising when it shouldn't be that someone would believe it).
I see the list now that you point it out and have Penumbra's bookstore written down to get.

Last edited:
ooh i like this distinction

Fair point on the distinction between the two/Dan Brown's desire for things to be realistic and serious (though it is still surprising when it shouldn't be that someone would believe it).

I haven't made a particularly academic distinction here and I must admit I am outrageously biased. But I think this is how it works in my head.

It's a distinction about genre and the way verisimilitude is employed in Dan Brown as an ARGUMENT for reading and in Indiana Jones as a TROPE that enriches watching.

Need kory to clean that up

Wait there are people who take Dan Brown books literally? I guess nothing should really surprise me at this point but that’s still crazy.

And that aligns with lbe's argument about the attractiveness to qanon people of stuff like Dan Brown: conspiracy theories appeal to our desires to discover truths that have been hidden to us, largely by wealthy and powerful people through history.

Indiana Jones is largely about a material search for the objects of mythology, whose currency comes not from being hidden but by being lost.

The search for the grail is about fulfilling a holy quest, attempted by countless others before you. In Da Vinci code the payoff for finding the grail is very different than the payoff in Indiana Jones.

Wait there are people who take Dan Brown books literally? I guess nothing should really surprise me at this point but that’s still crazy.
Oh yeah! The whole internet's obsession with the illuminati definitely aligned with the publication and popularity of da vinci code

The enduring message of Indiana Jones is "it belongs in a museum!"

The takeaway of DaVinci Code is that wealthy geniuses in the past had to hide stuff from ignorant people with power and now a regular guy (with super human knowledge) must reveal that information to everyone.

There are similarities, for sure. They just go about it in different ways.

Seriously. Reading a book is less social than posting on a sports message board.

Seriously. Reading a book is less social than posting on a sports message board.
Not if it gives you a shared experience to talk about

That's why no one here will talk Georgia football with you

Not if it gives you a shared experience to talk about

That's why no one here will talk Georgia football with you

There are people who go out of their way to discuss Georgia football with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back