• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: You know where you got that shirt from, and it damn sure wasn't the men's dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Books use to have the utility of being burned for warmth in our future apocalypse, now as electronic books they don’t even have that.

The difference with Indiana Jones, which is my absolute favorite and why I trained as an archeologist, is that it doesn't purport to be REAL (just as you say above) despite maintaining a serious tone. Nobody is supposed to believe that there's the Holy grail on the other side of an invisible footbridge. George Lucas was consciously drawing on a particular genre of cheap, adventure comics for boys.

But reading dan brown you ARE supposed to believe that there are hidden codes buried in da vinci's paintings just waiting for a secret cabal of evil Catholic priests to force a reluctant college professor to decode in a race across the world. These are entirely different in my mind.

All this to say that I agree with you on the first part and disagree on the second.

Lbe, did you see my list of recommendations?

another feature of dan brown books that i always find hilarious is how there's a secret that's 2000 years old that people have been trying to decipher since the Renaissance, and all of a sudden we're in a RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK to solve it in the next 24 hours or else humankind will perish.

this Jon Gruden story is amazing. Topless WTF cheerleaders being sent on company email, I mean what?

The fact that you neglected to mention Still Life with Woodpecker means you need a new board handle. For shame.

You seem to forget that birds play a much bigger role in Even Cowgirls get the Blues than they do in Still life.

The difference with Indiana Jones, which is my absolute favorite and why I trained as an archeologist, is that it doesn't purport to be REAL (just as you say above) despite maintaining a serious tone. Nobody is supposed to believe that there's the Holy grail on the other side of an invisible footbridge. George Lucas was consciously drawing on a particular genre of cheap, adventure comics for boys.

But reading dan brown you ARE supposed to believe that there are hidden codes buried in da vinci's paintings just waiting for a secret cabal of evil Catholic priests to force a reluctant college professor to decode in a race across the world. These are entirely different in my mind.

All this to say that I agree with you on the first part and disagree on the second.

Lbe, did you see my list of recommendations?

The “secret cabal of evil Catholic priests” is very realistic.

another feature of dan brown books that i always find hilarious is how there's a secret that's 2000 years old that people have been trying to decipher since the Renaissance, and all of a sudden we're in a RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK to solve it in the next 24 hours or else humankind will perish.
Haha yes, well put.
The “secret cabal of evil Catholic priests” is very realistic.
Can't disagree, though it's fortunately no longer entirely secret. On the other hand, the popularity of fifteenth-century anti-fraternal literature is BOOMING these days.

I'm guessing it's not? Sorry I just picked the first thing that came to me.

Honestly, this sort of stuff is probably my favorite genre of pleasure reading and there's lots and lots of it out there, some of it remarkably thrilling and sometimes even kinda realistic in its methods.

First that come to mind, in varying degrees of seriousness: Codex by Lev Grossman; The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett (about Wake, sort of!); The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde; The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco; Possession by AS Byatt; Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (I think); A Burnable Book by UVA prof Bruce Holsinger; The Club Dumas by Arturo Reverte (I think), on which the Johnny Depp movie "The Ninth Gate" was based on

Actually LBE, read that Mr. Penumbra book. I think that'll do nicely for your interests and requirements.

Haven’t read a ton but Possession is dope.

Haven’t read a ton but Possession is dope.
I taught it years ago in an honors course and students mostly found it boring. Which I can understand because Victorian epistolary is kinda lame. But other than that middle part which kind of drags I love it

And he has to have a sexy, yet brilliant female companion at his side

Oh man I just chipped a molar. This blows.

He’s got the last laugh. Lonzo should be good for the Bulls. LaMelo was ROY. LiAngelo got a G-League deal.

I saw my first piece of BBB clothing last weekend. Couldn’t have been older than 20 frat bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back