• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest vs Army @West Point - Check In

Brendan207

Reaction score
Just booked flights to go watch the Deacs on Saturday the 23rd vs Army. Looking to use this thread to compile gameday info - transportation options, ticket advice, tailgate avice, army gameday traditions, tailgate / parking info etc.

Tickets:

Direct from Wake Forest - SOLD OUT (our seats were in Sections 3-5)
Direct from Army - They do have tickets available near the official visiting team allotment (Section 3) for $52. Also have midfield 40 yardline options for $117
https://goarmywestpoint.evenue.net/...Context=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=&cgc=

Transportation:
Either driving or taking the river cruise is your best bet. The NYC Deacon Club has a bit of info about an event they’re doing for the Army game. Basically it’s a river cruise (regularly scheduled cruise to each Army home game from SeaStreak Cruises) that leaves from Coastal NJ (8AM) and Manhattan (8:45AM). 2-3 hour leisurely catamaran ride with booze and TV’s to the game. NYC Deacon Club is recommending folks your tickets direct from the cruise line (link below) and please RSVP so they know you’re coming. Boat tix are $95 and combo boat + game tickets are $140.

NYC Deacon Club link: https://wakecommunities.wfu.edu/ny-nyc/
SeaStreak River Cruise and ticket info from provider: https://seastreak.com/tour-and-event...me-day-cruise/

Parking/Tailgating Info:
Army football parking website here: https://www.armygameday.com/parking
Advance purchase parking available for $20 here direct from Army in the Thayer GP Lot (about a mile away from Stadium).

Intel on any sweet Wake tailgates: none yet
Publicly available “Tailgate Guys” tailgate packages for purchase here: https://tailgateguys.com/army (seems reasonably priced if you have a decent sized group).

Last edited:
We did the river cruise a few years ago. It is very nice with beautiful views and a great option when the weather is nice. There is one drawback however. You get to the stadium about 15-30 minutes before kickoff so you miss most of the pageantry and the chance to walk around before and after the game.

Thanks for the parking info. Very helpful

Last edited:
I’ll be there. Great atmosphere. Hopefully covid hasn’t limited any of the events. Hotel Thayer is the spot for a victory beverage.

Having an extra week to prepare for the option helps. Maybe Davis will ,earn to stay in his lane and set an edge by then. Shrader destroyed our D.

I’ll be there. Great atmosphere. Hopefully covid hasn’t limited any of the events. Hotel Thayer is the spot for a victory beverage.

Having an extra week to prepare for the option helps. Maybe Davis will ,earn to stay in his lane and set an edge by then. Shrader destroyed our D.

Many of the runs by Syracuse were right up the middle. If I'm Clawson/Hemphill, I think seriously about putting in an extra D-lineman, giving the D more of a 5-2 look. Andersen should see a bunch of snaps because he is usually a sure tackler.

Take the SeaStreak ferry from Manhattan to West Point. Ferry leaves at 8:45 am.

I'll be there; looking forward to it!

Will probably need to temper my usual gameday shouting among this more formal audience.

We'll be there. We lucked into finding a spot in Highland Falls, walking distance. So definitely interested in knowing about any Wake tailgates pre-game and any gatherings / watering holes afterwards.

Word to the wise - 1) at this point, it is hard to find anything closer than a half-hour away. Some options in Orangeburg to south and in Newburgh to north. 2) West Point is basically impossible to get to, except by car or foot (and the NYC ferry, there are no local ferries). If you were on the opposite bank looking down on West Point, you are at least 30 minutes from getting even close to West Point. It took Benedict Arnold and Major Andre for that fort to be taken for a reason! There are no trains to West Point and the only one that gets you close runs up the east / non-accesible bank of the river. If you get off in Peekskill or Beacon, you are about 20 minutes away by taxi or Uber.

If you are flying up to NY, and you have access to an airline that flies into White Plains Airport, and you want to get to Michie in time to tailgate, I would recommend that you fly to White Plains and rent a car there. The drive is an hour, give or take 10 minutes, and it is a pretty drive. Rental cars are much cheaper there than from JFK, Newark or La Guardia, and White Plains is much closer to West Point than are the other three. Traffic on a Saturday should be fine. You can then drive back to White Plains after the game and there are plenty of hotels there so you can fly back on Sunday. Lots of good restaurants in White Plains for dinner on Saturday. My personal favorite is a little Italian dive called La Manda's. It's been there for over 50 years. They take reservations for parties of 5 or more. Otherwise, you may have to wait a few minutes. Food is excellent. Not fancy at all, but the prices are cheap and the bartender is excellent. The owner is a guy named Sly, who took over the place from his dad. He is there on Saturday nights and most other nights and will insult you in a good natured way. That kind of place. But there are other choices. The usual chains (Morton's, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.) plus a number of good local restaurants that you can find on TripAdvisor or similar sites.

Just heard back from my Deacon Ticket Office rep Bo and he said the Wake allotment is sold out. Our official allotment was in Sections 3-5 for those looking for tix near us. The Army ticket office still has tickets for $52 in Section 3. Their ticket price is just $39 per ticket if you can pull together a group of 20 or more.

If you are considering the river cruise you might consider starting from Atlantic Highlands, NJ. The 45 minutes to NYC through the Verrazano Narrows will offer an unmatched view of the greater NYC area. Water could be choppy so Dramamine is appropriate if prone to motion sickness.

I have two extra tickets in the Wake section which is unfortunately the end zone. They have not been delivered yet but cost $100 for both.

Ferry is currently sold out. I've heard they may have capacity to bring another ferry online. I'd call/email and make your interest known to the Seastreak folks.

Just heard back from my Deacon Ticket Office rep Bo and he said the Wake allotment is sold out. Our official allotment was in Sections 3-5 for those looking for tix near us. The Army ticket office still has tickets for $52 in Section 3. Their ticket price is just $39 per ticket if you can pull together a group of 20 or more.

Just a heads up that Dress Parade on the Plain begins at 9 a.m. that Saturday. It’s a MUST SEE for first timers.

If they didn't just go to West Point last year think this coulda been a possible GameDay location. App has to be kicking themselves their game against Coastal is on a Wednesday -- next week's schedule is so rough that that might be the best game of the week

App ain't kicking themselves, just pissed at the Sunbelt for requiring big games to be on weekdays for that ESPN weekday money. Def could have been GameDay, especially if they had beaten Miami like they should have.

Headed to the RoofTop bar at the Thayer post game. We were also able to book a table in the MacArthur Room when it opens for dinner.

In +3. Taking that boat up the Hudson.
3 adults all vaccinated. Heard we have to show that in NYC (and maybe game). Anyone know what might need to be done for the 11 year old going with us in regards to rules and such?

What's the best way to get there from the city? The ferry only has 1 ticket left and I'm coming with my son. Short of renting a car, I don't see many good options.

What's the best way to get there from the city? The ferry only has 1 ticket left and I'm coming with my son. Short of renting a car, I don't see many good options.

Renting a car is probably best. though it's not an easy place to drive to either. If you take metro north, the closest stops are across the river so you'd still be about a 20 minute Uber away.

Renting a car is probably best. though it's not an easy place to drive to either. If you take metro north, the closest stops are across the river so you'd still be about a 20 minute Uber away.

The noon start means traffic thru the main (Thayer Gate) will be bumper to bumper by 7am with a 39,000 sell out expected. Weather looks partly sunny 55-60 degrees at kick off but probably will be cooler up on the mountain.

This is NOT going to be a cake walk. Army played Wisconsin very tough in Camp Randle. They are much bigger on both lines than they used to be....no more 230 pound guys and just as strong. They welcome challenges like a ranked club coming to Michie Stadium. I do think we can move the ball via the pass. My concern, particularly after our last two games, is stopping their relentless, clock eating run game.

Guessing 27-20 DEACS....

Back