• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Atlantic Division race, updated 11/7

If Pitt beats Clemson, then WF wins the division with home wins over Duke and NCSU plus one of the last two road games

of course, other help could make the path easier than that, but that seems relatively straightforward

if the deacs beat army, gonna be a fun saturday cheering on MY pitt nard doggs and then my CANES.

I'd love to go undefeated obviously, but that seems very unlikely. I'm not gonna lose my shit if we drop either the Army or the UNC game. As long as we take care of Duke at home we will be sitting at 5-0 in conference with everything still in front of us and it will set up a massive showdown November 13.

I'd love to go undefeated obviously, but that seems very unlikely. I'm not gonna lose my shit if we drop either the Army or the UNC game. As long as we take care of Duke at home we will be sitting at 5-0 in conference with everything still in front of us and it will set up a massive showdown November 13.

I hear you but at the same time seasons like this are special and any little blip like that feels bigger because of all the potential that’s out there. There’s always gonna be a good bowl to play for no matter what happens but really hope this is the year we can put it all together and break into the top 10 or more.

Even adjusted for competition, Clemson's offense is among the worst of any FBS team. Just look at that Clemson's point totals and yards against each opponent, and that opponent has given up more points and yards to almost everyone else on their schedule. This is the case even though Clemson's elite defense gives the offense multiple opportunities to score and gain yards. Given the level of recruits in the Clemson program, this has to be one of the worst offensive coaching efforts in college football history. As an example, Clemson clearly has the worst offense in the ACC, despite having the #1 ranked ACC recruiting class each of the last 5 seasons.

Duke has the worst offense in the ACC, but yes, it is wonderful that Clemson is at least in the conversation

I hope Clemson is still in that conversation on 11/21

Duke has the worst offense in the ACC, but yes, it is wonderful that Clemson is at least in the conversation

I hope Clemson is still in that conversation on 11/21

By what metric?

NCAA rank against other FBS teams out of #130:

Yards per game: Duke #11 (481) Clemson #122 (289)
Yards per play: Duke #45 (5.8) Clemson #105 (4.5)
Points per game: Duke #86 (24) Clemson #124 (14.8)
Offensive TDs per game: Duke#65 (3.0) Clemson #122 (1.6)
Rushing yards per game: Duke #17 (215.2) Clemson #87 (125)
Passing yards per game: Duke #34 (266) Clemson #114 (164)

Clemson and Duke had one common opponent Ga Tech: Clemson scored 14 points and gained 284 yards. Duke scored 27 points and gained 489 yards. Don't think people are grasping how horrific Clemson's offense is. They have sucked against everyone: BC, GT, NC State, Cuse..... This isn't a one bad game thing.

By what metric?

NCAA rank against other FBS teams out of #130:

Yards per game: Duke #11 (481) Clemson #122 (289)
Yards per play: Duke #45 (5.8) Clemson #105 (4.5)
Points per game: Duke #86 (24) Clemson #124 (14.8)
Offensive TDs per game: Duke#65 (3.0) Clemson #122 (1.6)
Rushing yards per game: Duke #17 (215.2) Clemson #87 (125)
Passing yards per game: Duke #34 (266) Clemson #114 (164)

Clemson and Duke had one common opponent Ga Tech: Clemson scored 14 points and gained 284 yards. Duke scored 27 points and gained 489 yards. Don't think people are grasping how horrific Clemson's offense is. They have sucked against everyone: BC, GT, NC State, Cuse..... This isn't a one bad game thing.

I don't see an adjustment for schedule there.

Putting aside the FCS competition, Clemson has played on average the #39 defense among FBS schools over their 5 games, including the clear #1 defense in UGA

Dook has played on average the #85 defense among 130 FBS schools over their 6 FBS games. The best defense they played was Northwestern, roughly equivalent to Cuse and worse by far than NC State.

In their 5 FBS games, Clemson has not played against a defense as bad as UVA. UVA allowed 16 consecutive scoring drives between UNC and WF. UVA just shut Dook out.

I don't see an adjustment for schedule there.

Putting aside the FCS competition, Clemson has played on average the #39 defense among FBS schools over their 5 games, including the clear #1 defense in UGA

Dook has played on average the #85 defense among 130 FBS schools over their 6 FBS games. The best defense they played was Northwestern, roughly equivalent to Cuse and worse by far than NC State.

In their 5 FBS games, Clemson has not played against a defense as bad as UVA. UVA allowed 16 consecutive scoring drives between UNC and WF. UVA just shut Dook out.

Explain how the production against their one common opponent, GT, fits your argument, por favor.

Explain how the production against their one common opponent, GT, fits your argument, por favor.

sure - first off, let's ask SmallSampleSizeDeac to weigh in.

how does UVA factor in, por favor? you think UVA shuts Clemson out?

By the end of the year, Duke and Clemson will have played:

GT
Pitt
WF
L'ville

Let's see who scores more points and gains more yards in those 4 common opponent games. Duke's offense had an all around horrible game at UVA. Clemson has had an awful offensive performances in every game. Not relying on the UGA game to assess Clemson's offense. You can throw that game out, and the Clemson offense is still terrible.

sure - first off, let's ask SmallSampleSizeDeac to weigh in.

how does UVA factor in, por favor? you think UVA shuts Clemson out?

You're the one arguing against statistics. There is one common opponent available and it doesn't suit your argument, so you're disregarding it.

Clemson has a historically bad offense with historically great recruits. Duke also sucks, with comparatively terrible recruits. If adjusting for opponent's defensive efficiency (I'm not wasting my time on this research), Clemson comes out slightly ahead of the worst team in the ACC, then good for them (and your internet argument points) I guess?

You're the one arguing against statistics. There is one common opponent available and it doesn't suit your argument, so you're disregarding it.

Clemson has a historically bad offense with historically great recruits. Duke also sucks, with comparatively terrible recruits. If adjusting for opponent's defensive efficiency (I'm not wasting my time on this research), Clemson comes out slightly ahead of the worst team in the ACC, then good for them (and your internet argument points) I guess?

dude - I am arguing with statistics. The advanced statistics say Clemson's offense is better than Duke's, by far. Try FEI.

What is the goal when playing a football game? Winning? Scoring? Racking up yards?

Clemson led for 51 minutes against GT and won the game. They played offense accordingly. Meaning, in their case, often play conservatively and punt the ball, relying on the elite defense to win the game.

Duke trailed for 50 minutes against GT and lost the game. They played offense trying to catch up.

Last edited:
The fact that there's even an argument being had about whether a 3-4 (0-3 ACC) team has a better offense than Clemson is pretty hilarious considering what Clemson has been in football for the past decade

dude - I am arguing with statistics. The advanced statistics say Clemson's offense is better than Duke's, by far. Try FEI.

What is the goal when playing a football game? Winning? Scoring? Racking up yards?

Clemson led for 51 minutes against GT and won the game. They played offense accordingly. Meaning, in their case, often play conservatively and punt the ball, relying on the elite defense to win the game.

Duke trailed for 50 minutes against GT and lost the game. They played offense trying to catch up.

They got down 14-0 after 7 minutes and still handed off to Durant 43 times -- nothing about Duke's game against GT was "They played offense trying to catch up."

You'll excuse me if I don't put a ton of weight into an advance statistic that has Clemson with a higher ranked offense than Texas A&M, who put up 41 points on Bama. It took Clemson 13 quarters plus an OT to score 41 points against FBS competition.

cool, you're excused

sounds like Alabama had a bad game. Kinda like dook vs. UVA, only different

the point of my interaction was that it's hyperbole, in my opinion, to say that Clemson's offense is the *worst* in the ACC - but very cool that they are in the conversation

again, I hope they are still in that conversation on 11/21

ETA: by the way, in 5 games against FBS opponents, Clemson has committed 3 turnovers - 0.6 per game. Dook has 14 in 6 such games - 2.3 per game.

Last edited:

the fuq?

cool, you're excused

sounds like Alabama had a bad game. Kinda like dook vs. UVA, only different

the point of my interaction was that it's hyperbole, in my opinion, to say that Clemson's offense is the *worst* in the ACC - but very cool that they are in the conversation

again, I hope they are still in that conversation on 11/21

ETA: by the way, in 5 games against FBS opponents, Clemson has committed 3 turnovers - 0.6 per game. Dook has 14 in 6 such games - 2.3 per game.
Again we are witness why he is “that guy” who will not stfu even when so obviously wrong. I cant call it doubling down when he comes back 5 times. So sad.

Back