• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke at Wake, Saturday 10/30 at ...

One homecoming when I was in law school my wife and I sat through a snowstorm to watch South Carolina spank us 20-0. We walked back to campus, warmed up, then went to Wait Chapel to hear Sam and Dave. My daughter was in school during the Duncan era. Students left to either a) return to tailgating, or b) get ready for the evening's parties, which were always more important to them. Basically, the same is true for BB. If the team is winning, they bitch that a) there aren't' enough student seats, and/or b) students should get better seating. If the team is losing, they just don't come. One of my daughters went to ECU, one to Wake. Wake was by far the bigger party school. We have a small student body and many of them simply aren't sports fans, I'm afraid.

That’s odd ECU used to be known as the biggest party school on the east coast. Used to date a girl who went there and when I went to visit it was crazy.

I don’t think whiteouts or blackouts work. At Penn State it works because the entire stadium is Nittany Lions. But there are always a contingency of visitors sporting their colors at Wake. So you get black/blue or white/blue vs Duke, black/red or white/red vs State. Doesn’t really make sense.

The only thing that works is a yellow-out or gold-out.

A gold-out would be great if we could ever get it to work. Completely unique, I believe, in sports. Should be called the Gold Rush.

I think the team wearing all black, including the helmets is a competitive advantage for night games. Can hide in the shadows.

an even more unique idea would be to have a Black/Gold out. Everybody wear gold but carry a black/dark blanket. Then get a Black --->Gold cheer going and everybody raises the dark blanket in front of them for the Black and then drops it down for the Gold. Would be a stunning visual effect for the cameras and the team on the field. Guarantee that nobody else would be doing this.

an even more unique idea would be to have a Black/Gold out. Everybody wear gold but carry a black/dark blanket. Then get a Black --->Gold cheer going and everybody raises the dark blanket in front of them for the Black and then drops it down for the Gold. Would be a stunning visual effect for the cameras and the team on the field. Guarantee that nobody else would be doing this.

They did that in 05 for basketball (either the UNC or duke game) with alternating sections having black and gold (yellow) shirts, then the students in tie dye

They did that in 05 for basketball (either the UNC or duke game) with alternating sections having black and gold (yellow) shirts, then the students in tie dye

but crucially - the shirts were free

believe it was duke and it was/is a great visual

Wearing black when it's 85+ degrees win the sun beating on you is just not very smart. This time of year? Sure.
Wear black and *hydrate* every game. Or wear gold (not khaki). Our fanbase is soft if we can't even wear the team colors.

Depth chart out. No Jacory Johns or Chelan Garnes, unfortunately. Greer is back on, but listed as an "OR" backup behind Andersen. Everything else looks pretty normal. Most of the guys on Cam's "injury report" from army are listed, including Keith, Williams, Taylor, Bergan, etc.

Of course we could be down 7 starters and Clawson is playing mind games with the opponent and fanbase, as he does.

It looks like we're somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3,000 tickets away from this being a sellout. If you're on this board and are a Wake fan, we owe it to this team to sell this game out. Bring a friend, bring your family, and encourage whoever you can to purchase a ticket (starting at only $20!) for this game. We're the number 13 team in the country ffs. If you're a football fan in the triad, even if you're not a Wake fan, there's no reason you shouldn't be interested in seeing such a highly ranked team play for so cheap on a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon.

Anybody that calls Wake a party school is nuts. That is all.

I'm a current student and based on my friends from other schools that have visited and my own experience, it is absolutely a party school (as long as you're affiliated with a Greek organization. If not it's a tough school to attend unless you're not a fan of going out). It's difficult academically but on the weekends it is definitely a party school for those that want that experience.

I'm a current student and based on my friends from other schools that have visited and my own experience, it is absolutely a party school (as long as you're affiliated with a Greek organization. If not it's a tough school to attend unless you're not a fan of going out). It's difficult academically but on the weekends it is definitely a party school for those that want that experience.

Party schools don’t know what a weekend is. It’s all the same to them.

Based on what I saw at Wake (was in a fraternity) and my time spent living in Greenville NC and from stories from my wife who went to ECU, Wake doesn't hold a candle to ECU. At Wake we would maybe party one night during the week and once during the weekend maybe twice. At ECU it's basically every night. They have freaking penny liquor and beer nights at the bars. Oh and if you have never experienced a Halloween on the mean streets of G Vegas, you haven't lived yet

I remember stumbling around Greenville loudly slurring the words "penny liquor night" and fist bumping the other 5,000 random drunk students who wanted to get hammered on a Tuesday night. Place was a shitshow. Would not advise sending any of your kids there.

One of my best friends from high school, who went to ECU, during their finals week, "Yeah, i've got a big test tomorrow, but there is a kegger down the street so I don't think I'll get a chance to study.".

The drunken beer fest on Riverwalk they'd do every year was beyond epic. And really any holiday at all, especially Halloween, trumps the best of Wake's party scene. For a small private school, I imagine Wake throws down pretty hard, but ECU was(is?) in a league of its own.

Back