• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke at Wake, Saturday 10/30 at ...

FWIW, this past week, I stumbled upon a replay the end of last Saturday's Duke/GT game. Man, Duke completely pissed that game away.

Duke kicked a FG with 5 minutes left to take 27-24 lead. Duke then stuffed GT and got a quick 3 and out (GT's 3rd straight 3 and out of the 4th quarter), and Duke had the ball with 3 minutes to go and the lead. Duke ran for a first down, forcing GT to burn all of their timeouts, before Duke punted the ball back to GT. The Duke punt pinned the Jackets on their on 12 (with no TOs) and 1:42 to go. On GT's first play from the 12, Duke forced a GT fumble, and there were 3 Devil defenders hovering around the loose ball which managed to meander out of bounds, allowing GT to maintain possession (a Duke recovery would've ended the game). GT looked completely lost at that point. Somehow, two plays later, GT's Jeff Sims, who is far from accurate completed a deep pass to midfield. Two plays after that, Sims threw a 36 yard post pass for a TD. Duke went from a lock to win to trailing in 30 seconds. Gunnar Holmburg, such a douchey Duke name, then threw a pick to end the game. Cutcliffe had that verging on dementia glazed look in his eyes as he couldn't process what had just happened. BTW, Duke's "crowd" at that game made Groves look like the Big House for tOSU/Michigan. No way there was more than 2,000 people in the stands in the 4th quarter. Coach K taking a dump draws more Dookies, than a competitive 4th quarter football game.

Last edited:
You are right about the attendance. I know Duke has little football history and the basketball is the draw. But their attendance is absolutely atrocious (worst in Div. 1?).

I don't like him either, and seems Clawson has a beef with him too, but Cutcliffe has improved Duke. Their win totals and bowls under him are similar to our jump with Grobe and Clawson. I think we recruited the QB. Seems he's from Wake Forest, NC. He had a sister pass of cancer if I remember correctly. There was some story about how he got hooked up with Duke early but I can't remember now. It may have had to do with his sister being treated at Duke Medical for many years....I'm not sure...

You are right about the attendance. I know Duke has little football history and the basketball is the draw. But their attendance is absolutely atrocious (worst in Div. 1?).

I don't like him either, and seems Clawson has a beef with him too, but Cutcliffe has improved Duke. Their win totals and bowls under him are similar to our jump with Grobe and Clawson. I think we recruited the QB. Seems he's from Wake Forest, NC. He had a sister pass of cancer if I remember correctly. There was some story about how he got hooked up with Duke early but I can't remember now. It may have had to do with his sister being treated at Duke Medical for many years....I'm not sure...

Grobe won 41% of his games vs the ACC
Clawson, 40%

Cut? 32%

I still can’t get over that Wake Forest beat Duke something like 45 to 3 when Duke had a lottery pick quarterback

Feeling much more comfortable about Duke after UVa's shellacking of them today....

Holy shit Duke lost 48-0? Lolol. What about their Daniel Jones QB??

Cut improved Duke for a time, but it's all downward slide now. Duke fans are complaining that he's going to leave them right where they were when he came.

And it was 1 of 2 wins towards end of season to help us become bowl eligible. We'd been decimated by injuries

Holy shit Duke lost 48-0? Lolol. What about their Daniel Jones QB??

I was referring to his size and similar skills. Didnt say the whole team was world-beaters.

Although they aren't winning, his throwing yardage is similar to Hartman. And, yes, I was saying given our D, he will put up good numbers vs us. Will they beat us? As I said above, after UVa game, I'm not as concerned as before...

Duke scored a total of 7 points against UNC's and UVa's defenses. Since I pointed that out, they might go off against us, but that is not good.

Clawson has to play Clemson every year as well, which skews that statistic considerably.

In his defense, cutcliffe’s numbers would look better if he was guaranteed a game against duke every year too.

I remember when Grobe, in his final year, would just squat for most of the game and pick at artificial turf. I think Cutcliffe has reached the same point.

Back