• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke at Wake, Saturday 10/30 at ...

And those reasons are? Just curious what causes the mass exodus at halftime.

One homecoming when I was in law school my wife and I sat through a snowstorm to watch South Carolina spank us 20-0. We walked back to campus, warmed up, then went to Wait Chapel to hear Sam and Dave. My daughter was in school during the Duncan era. Students left to either a) return to tailgating, or b) get ready for the evening's parties, which were always more important to them. Basically, the same is true for BB. If the team is winning, they bitch that a) there aren't' enough student seats, and/or b) students should get better seating. If the team is losing, they just don't come. One of my daughters went to ECU, one to Wake. Wake was by far the bigger party school. We have a small student body and many of them simply aren't sports fans, I'm afraid.

One homecoming when I was in law school my wife and I sat through a snowstorm to watch South Carolina spank us 20-0. We walked back to campus, warmed up, then went to Wait Chapel to hear Sam and Dave. My daughter was in school during the Duncan era. Students left to either a) return to tailgating, or b) get ready for the evening's parties, which were always more important to them. Basically, the same is true for BB. If the team is winning, they bitch that a) there aren't' enough student seats, and/or b) students should get better seating. If the team is losing, they just don't come. One of my daughters went to ECU, one to Wake. Wake was by far the bigger party school. We have a small student body and many of them simply aren't sports fans, I'm afraid.

?

GAME NOTES FROM THE DUUUKIES

DURHAM – Duke heads back on the road to Winston-Salem, N.C., for a showdown with No. 13 Wake Forest at Truist Field.

Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. and the game will be broadcast live on ACC Network.

Duke leads the all-time series between the two schools, 58-40-2. In the last meeting on Nov. 23, 2019, the Blue Devils fell, 39-27, to the Demon Deacons. Duke's last win over Wake Forest came on Nov. 25, 2017, when Daniel Jones threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as Duke earned bowl eligibility by beating the Demon Deacons, 31-23, in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Saturday's ACCN broadcast will feature Wes Durham, Roddy Jones, and Taylor Davis on the call. The game can also be heard on the Blue Devil Sports Network from LEARFIELD through the Varsity app or goduke.com

HOW TO FOLLOW
Duke (3-4, 0-3 ACC) vs. No. 13 Wake Forest (7-0, 4-0 ACC)
Saturday, October 30, 2021 • 4:00 PM
Winston-Salem, N.C. • Truist Field

TELEVISION • ACCN
RADIO • Blue Devils Sports Network from LEARFIELD
GAME NOTES • Duke Notes (PDF) • Wake Forest Notes (PDF)
LIVE STATS • GoDeacs.com
TWITTER • @DukeFOOTBALL

GAME NOTES
After seven games, senior running back Mataeo Durant finds himself atop the league charts in numerous categories. Most notably, he ranks second in rushing attempts (166), total touchdowns by a running back (9), rushing yards (870) and all-purpose yards per game (150.00).

Durant continues to climb up the Blue Devils' all-time rushing chart. Thanks to his 82 yards against Virginia on Oct. 16, he is currently eighth on Duke's all-time list with 2,191 yards and is 250 away from breaking into the top five.

Redshirt junior linebacker Shaka Heyward currently sits tied for 10th in the ACC with 60 tackles. He has two double-digit tackle games this year and has led Duke in tackles in three of seven contests.

Duke is one of three ACC schools with multiple players with 480+ receiving yards. Jake Bobo (552) and Jalon Calhoun (481) join Virginia's Dontayvion Wicks (847), Keytaon Thompson (555) and Billy Kemp (541) as well as Wake Forest's Jaquarii Roberson (807) and A.T. Perry (625).

FACING WAKE FOREST IN NOVEMBER
During the David Cutcliffe era, most of Duke's meetings with cross-division rival Wake Forest have come in the month of November. Saturday's contest will mark the ninth time the Blue Devils and Demon Deacons have battle in this particular month. Of the other four meetings, three were played in September and one in October. The two programs did not meet in 2020.

BOBO BIG UNDER PRESSURE
Senior wide receiver Jake Bobo has become Duke's top target for extending drives. the North Andover, Mass., native had 32 catches in 2020, with 22 of those going for a first down. Bobo has continued that trend in Duke's seven games of 2021. 27 of his 49 receptions have earned a first down.

Of his 49 receptions on the year:
** 27 have earned a first down
** Three have gone for nine yards
** 18 have gone for eight-or-less yards
** One went for 11 but missed a first down due to a false start on previous play

Bobo currently leads the Blue Devils with 552 receiving yards on 49 catches. His 49 receptions have him third in the ACC and tied for 16th in the country, while his receiving yards place him seventh in the league and tied for 40th in the nation.

DUKE'S QB1
Graduate student quarterback Gunnar Holmberg made his first collegiate start against Charlotte earlier this year. In his seven games as Duke's starter, Holmberg has completed 152-of-216 (.704) passes for 1,750 yards with six touchdowns. The Wake Forest, N.C., native leads the ACC in pass completion percentage and has added 38 completions of 15+ yards, including a season-long 80-yard touchdown connection with Jalon Calhoun against North Carolina on Oct. 2.

Holmberg is first in the ACC in passing completion percentage with a mark of .704 and fourth in pass completions. He is also sixth in total offense with 1,927 yards (177 rushing, 1,750 passing) and seventh in passing yards per game (250.00). His 24 points scored against Kansas are the second most in the ACC this season, trailing a 30-point performance by Syracuse's Sean Tucker against Albany.

LEADER OF THE RUN GAME
Senior Mataeo Durant has accumulated 870 rushing yards on 166 attempts with nine touchdowns in Duke's seven games. Nationally, the Plum Branch, S.C., native is fourth in rushing yards per game (124.28), tied for fifth in rushing attempts, sixth in rushing yards, tied for 18th in rushing touchdowns, and tied for 30th in total points scored (60). Durant is one of five players in program history to record nine or more career 100-yard rushing games. He is the first Blue Devil to achieve the mark since Chris Douglas did so from 2001-03.

ACC LEADERS AMONG TACKLES
Duke is one of six schools in the ACC with multiple players with 50-plus tackles on the year, joining Georgia Tech (four), Virginia (three), Virginia Tech (three), Louisville (two) and Syracuse (two). Redshirt junior linebacker Shaka Heyward is tied for 10th in the conference with 60 tackles on the year, while redshirt senior safety Lummie Young IV sits 19th with 51.

INTERCEPTIONS
Duke accumulated nine interceptions last season and the Blue Devils are looking to continue that trend in 2021. In eight of the last nine seasons, Duke has earned nine-plus interceptions, with its lone blip on the radar being the 2018 season (4). During that stretch, the Blue Devils recorded six years with double digit picks, including an impressive 18 in 2013.

Duke currently has seven picks on the year and has registered multiple interceptions on three occasions this season (Georgia Tech, 2; Kansas, 2; Northwestern, 2). Leonard Johnson and Jeremiah Lewis lead the team with two on the year, while Shaka Heyward, Nate Thompson and Lummie Young IV have accounted for the other three picks.

FORCING PRESSURE
Redshirt sophomore DeWayne Carter is currently tied for first in the nation with Texas State's Issiah Nixon and UCLA's Mitchell Agude with four forced fumbles on the year.

The Blue Devils have now had a player register three-plus caused fumbles in a single season in five of the last 10 years. DeVon Edwards led the group during that stretch with five in 2014.

Wow, nice stats Duke.. Its a shame all those 'stats' have translated to an 0-3 record in ACC play. :confused:

Just limit Durant to 150 rush yards on 40 attempts and we win by about 30.

I'll say wake wins 41-13.

Or just do the same as we did to Army. Hard to fake injuries on 1 play drives.

How about when CBS got banged up on offense and went down? A chorus of boos rained down from Army fans. I thought Army football fans were smarter than that. Yeah, CBS wanted to stall our own offense haha.

If we're thinking of the same moment, it wasn't an injury. CBS's shoe came off and he couldn't get it back on so he did a dramatic fall to get the whistle

If your shoe comes off you should be able to get the clock stopped.

Just read that Saturday's game is a blackout game.

This will really help expose those white upper sections if there are no fans in them. Also, why are we using our blackout powers against Duke on Homecoming? Why not against NC State?

Just read that Saturday's game is a blackout game.

This will really help expose those white upper sections if there are no fans in them. Also, why are we using our blackout powers against Duke on Homecoming? Why not against NC State?

No reason we can't do it twice. Blackouts/whiteouts/etc. are best done for games under the lights, so we'd need at least a 3:30-4:00 pm kickoff or later for this time of year. A blackout for a noon kickoff would look super lame.

If we're thinking of the same moment, it wasn't an injury. CBS's shoe came off and he couldn't get it back on so he did a dramatic fall to get the whistle

Looked to me like he got a cramp when he was pulling the shoe back on.

I read on Twitter that the blackout idea came from the students. Good to see them getting involved but they better show up and stay, otherwise it's going to look like shit.

I read on Twitter that the blackout idea came from the students. Good to see them getting involved but they better show up and stay, otherwise it's going to look like shit.

Of any fanbase, we should know how stupid it looks to have 15 morons in tie dye jumping around in an empty arena. Love the idea of leaning into the blackout since black is actually one of our primary colors, but you're 100% right in actually needing attendance and participation for it to work.

I'll excuse empty seats and a dumb looking stadium after halftime if we're up like 40 points though. Scoreboard is the better sight then.

Blackout vs State doesn’t seem effective as you end up with a stadium full of black and red.

Blackout vs State doesn’t seem effective as you end up with a stadium full of black and red.

I did consider that. Maybe we'll do a whiteout. Duke just didn't seem worthy of anything extra. Although the same point could be made of Duke - stadium full of black and blue. But ain't no Duke football fans gonna be in the house. I'm not sure Duke football fans exist.

Back