• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Calgary is def legit, it's hockey so an Avs-Flames WCF probably won't happen but that would be one helluva series.

Also woulda been a great day if Ottawa could just held on against Florida. Three-goal leads, the hockey kiss o' death

Draisaitl's statline from the Battle of Alberta: 3 goals, 1 assist, -4

Didn’t get to watch any hockey today, but that Detroit/Pittsburgh score line really stood out. 11-2 Pens.

Every single Pittsburgh FWD got a point with 8/12 getting 2 points or more. 4/6 DEF got a point as well.

That’s unreal. Only two guys on the entire team DIDN’T get a point. That, plus Jarry putting up a 33 Save, 0.943 SV% is just an all out ass pounding.

Metro Division pushing hard for that #1 Spot.

After his season with the Canes I am sad watching Alex Nedeljkovic get lit up in Detroit. I was really hoping he would have success there, but there is no defense on that team.

Athletic folks, I cannot recommend Richard Deitsch's interview with Isabelle Khurshudyan enough. She was previously the Caps beat writer for the Washington Post, and is now embedded in Ukraine doing war reporting. It's a very sobering read.

Of interest to this thread, they get into Ovechkin a bit -

Few people in the world would have a better perspective on Alex Ovechkin as it relates to this conflict given you covered him as a Capitals writer. How do you look at him given his relationship with the Putin government and how should American sports fans look at him as he’s continuing to play in the NHL?

Khurshudyan: I knew I would get this question here, and if I were you I would ask it. I have not said anything about this, really, to this point. When he [Ovechkin] talked about this in that kind-of-press conference. I don’t think he really came out against Russia at all, even though he said stop the war. I think he was saying whatever he felt like he should say. To be clear: I have done zero reporting, zero inquiry and I haven’t talked to anyone from the Capitals, talked to anyone from the Ovechkin side. I don’t know what he actually thinks about this and I don’t know what the Capitals think about this. So I’m completely speaking from my previous contacts and also my understanding of what the Russian atmosphere is like right now.

I think if you’re a sports fan, it’s totally fair to say ‘I don’t really care what Alex Ovechkin’s views are on Putin or Russia, I just really like him as a hockey fan.’ I think it’s also fair to say, especially if you’re a sports fan in Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States, ‘I have a big problem with this because his Instagram picture is still him and Putin together.’ I don’t think Alex is ever going to take a stance against Putin. What I have a problem with is when people make him a victim of this, because I don’t really believe he’s a victim and I don’t think that’s a fair characterization, especially if you’re describing victims in this whole situation. It’s not someone who I would consider to be a member of Russia’s elite. It would be Ukrainian people who are fleeing their homes and literally dying.

There are a lot of influential Russian people — late-night hosts, pop culture figures, the most popular rapper in Russia, people who work for state television — who have taken a stand against this, and at great risk to themselves, because they understand that this war is pretty senseless. I think for Ovechkin it would be incredibly uncomfortable to do so because he does have family there, because he and his wife hang out in a social circle with people who probably have bought into the Russian propaganda, that there is a justification for this war, that Ukrainians are neo-Nazis, that Russian speakers are being oppressed in Ukraine. All of that is false. We know that. But that is what is being sold on Russian television.

I think for Ovechkin there would be business losses if he stood up against this. He might have to take his family out of there. Those are things he might just not want to do. I guess I understand that. I don’t know if it’s fair or right to have him be accountable for this, but other people have (been). Other people have taken a stand. They have not been killed. Their families have not been killed. But they have had to leave the country. I think he could take a stand and he has a very powerful voice in Russia, where there are a lot of people who live there being fed one story from state media. He could break through that and kind of speak truth to Russians, but to a degree he’s choosing not to.

The Caps are the worst, as soon as the canes were up I just sat back and waited for typical caps antics to ensue. I thought we made it without injury, until that bush league hit by Eller. No wonder this is Putin's favorite team.

Caps are the dirtiest team in pro sports. Fuck them.

The Caps live off this. Don't let Tom Wilson and company live in your head come playoff time. They beat you by getting under your skin and throwing you off your game.

The Caps live off this. Don't let Tom Wilson and company live in your head come playoff time. They beat you by getting under your skin and throwing you off your game.

Outside of the Cup run, Game 3 against the Caps a few years ago was probably the most fun I have ever had at PNC Arena. The Canes were finally back in the playoffs, against a hated rival, and the place was LOUD for a 5-0 win. I still can't believe we managed to win that series, especially after they took Game 5 6-0.

ETA: I would love to play them first round. Let's go.

I have two extra lower level tickets to the Hurricanes/Wild game on Saturday if anyone wants to watch hockey instead of dook/UNC. Selling under face value at $170 for the pair.

Playing Montreal must feel like playing a junior-league team for the Canes after the gauntlet we've gone through

If at first you don't succeed (between the legs), try again (Michigan):

Very glad to be at the Canes game tonight instead of hearing about the final four.

Thanks for the tease NJD!

Doubt Florida's gonna be able to get away with this style of play in the playoffs

Florida is the first team to clinch a playoff berth. The Cats are hoping to advance to the second-round for first time since...1996.

They'll very likely be matched up with Washington, so I like their odds.

Speaking of the Caps: they played just two games in the last ten days, and both were drubbings at 6-1 and 5-1. It's a good thing they banked all those points at the beginning of the season.

Back