• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Awesome....gonna lose to ANOTHER non-playoff team.

Fuck this. I bet we get swept in the 1st round.

I don't get it....how do we ALWAYS outshoot the other team by nearly 2x and end up losing by 2 or 3 goals? WTF is going on?

Because they aren’t all quality shots - our play style involves quick possessions - throwing a lot of pucks at the net in situations where many other teams hold possession looking for a grade-A opportunities. Also rather than relying on a few stars and complimentary players the Hurricanes roster is built upon quality depth but no star scorers, so we expect to be consistently better than the sum of our parts, but when just a few players slump the system doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Aho has a career high in goals and assists and he isn’t top 15 in either one. I think the Hurricanes star players are so bought into the system that they become passive when the team needs them to take over.

Lots of complaining about a Canes team that has the third best record in the entire league and Vezina finalist goalie.

Awesome....gonna lose to ANOTHER non-playoff team.

Fuck this. I bet we get swept in the 1st round.

I don't get it....how do we ALWAYS outshoot the other team by nearly 2x and end up losing by 2 or 3 goals? WTF is going on?

Oblong. Need to take a big breath, bud.

I admire the emotion in a way. Perhaps a good thing Oblong is already in playoff mode, whereas I'm about to get revved up from about zero to 100 overnight, not used to these regular seasons with so little on the line. Even last year avoiding Tampa was a huge incentive

Because they aren’t all quality shots - our play style involves quick possessions - throwing a lot of pucks at the net in situations where many other teams hold possession looking for a grade-A opportunities. Also rather than relying on a few stars and complimentary players the Hurricanes roster is built upon quality depth but no star scorers, so we expect to be consistently better than the sum of our parts, but when just a few players slump the system doesn’t work.

Well stated and this has long been my biggest concern that we don't really have a Plan B.

That said this is largely the style the Kings won a couple Cups with, and in those Cup runs their scoring actually went up from the regular season to the playoffs. Hopefully we'll have such a run this season

I'm a bit of a Down Goes Brown fan, and today's article delivered a nice trip down memory lane: "Answering the dumb questions you never thought to ask about empty net goals"

But that’s not the most recent example of an empty-netter coming in a loss. That one came just two years ago, and it made its own kind of history. On January 5, 2020, the Sharks and Capitals met in a game that had this wild finish (starting at 2:00):

That’s Logan Couture scoring into the empty net, and it opened the door for the Capitals to become the only team to ever pull its goalie for an extra attacker at the end of regulation, give up an empty net goal, and still come back to win. No screwups, no own goals, just a ridiculous collapse that we’d never seen before in over 100 years of history.

That’s pretty embarrassing for the Sharks, but at least Couture can take some pride in joining the ENG-in-a-loss club with some other big names, including two Hall of Famers. Those would be goaltender Billy Smith, who became the first goalie credited with a goal in 1979 but still lost the game, as well as Gordie Howe in 1970. Howe’s goal earned another distinction, in that he joined the club along with teammate Nick Libett, making the Red Wings the only team in history to score two empty-netters in a game they lost.

Here's my post from that evening.

How can you not love when he nerds out about this random shit?

What’s the record for most empty net goals in one game?

The answer: Too many.

Related question: What was the single dumbest day of empty net action in NHL history?

That would be April 5, 1970, the final day of the 1969-70 season. The Rangers and Canadiens went into that day fighting for the final playoff spot in the East Division, with New York having stumbled down the stretch and on the verge of coughing up what had seemed like a sure thing only a week or two earlier.

With each team set to play their final game, Montreal held a two-point lead. More importantly, they also held the tiebreaker, which back then was goals scored. (Yes, goals scored, not goals differential. This turns out to be important.) Montreal was up by five in that category, meaning the Rangers’ only hope was for three things to happen that day: they win, Montreal loses and they outscore the Habs by at least five.

Not great odds, but the good news was that they were playing the Red Wings, who didn’t have much to play for. The Rangers came out flying, scoring four in the first period and three in the second to take a 7-3 lead. Chasing even more offense, Rangers coach Emile Francis started pulling his goalie late in the third, even though his team was winning. It made sense — remember, he didn’t care how many goals he gave up as long as they won — but it led to Howe and Libett getting those two late empty net goals in a losing cause. The Rangers ended up winning 9-5.

The Montreal game was later in the day, and they were facing a Hawks team that did have something to play for. Still, the Habs had two doors into the playoffs: win by any score, or lose while scoring at least five goals. That second door seemed to close early in the third when Chicago took a 5-2 lead, so Montreal coach Claude Ruel started pulling his goalie midway through the third in a desperate attempt to get his team some goals. The result: a ridiculous five empty net goals for the Hawks, a single-game record that will almost certainly never be broken. The Habs lost 10-2.

This is why we don’t use goals scored as a tiebreaker anymore, in case anyone was wondering.

Bonus weird fact: This was the only time the Canadiens missed the playoffs in the 47 years between 1948 and 1995.

I know I'm overly-pessimistic and passionate. I'm the same way with Deacs Football, because when we start playing really well, like Top 3/Top 10 well in Hockey/CFB respectively, I want to prove that's not a fluke. And I just get too amped up.

I'm very happy that I was wrong last night, and will accept me being pessimistic and being wrong any day of the week.

I just want the Canes to do well this year. 2-2.5 months ago it was looking like Colorado and Carolina were shoo-ins for at least their Conference Finals (Colorado still looks destined to make the Stanley Cup Finals), and with Canes playing so passive recently, it seems like they don't have the grit and mettle to get to the point of shutting teams down in the playoffs.

I will try to calm it down. I'm just pumped for the playoffs. Like I said when I reignited this thread, this is the first season where I've watched 98% of Canes' games and multiple games every night. I've never paid as much attention to a league, other than CFB, than I have this much this season.

So it's going to be fun!

GO CANE'S

Here were my predictions with 7 to go, and the real results:

@COL (L) - L
@ARI (W) - W
vs WIN (W) - W
-------------------
@NJ (W)
@NYI (W/L?)
@NYR (L)
vs NJ (W)

and NYR's schedule/predictions:

vs DET (W) - W
vs WPG (W) - W
@ NYI (W) - W
--------------------
@ BOS (L)
vs CAR (W)
vs MON (W)
vs WAS (W/L?)

So I'm right so far.

Raanta hurt as well now. Oh boy.

He did stay in the game for a while after it before we finally pulled him -- hopefully we're just playing it super safe given Freddy's status

Two points away from clinching the division since we def will win the tiebreaker over NYR. Considering one of our remaining games is at home to the Devils, looking like it will be ours, for better or for worse.

Keep winning Ning, I'll take my chances with the Bruins

Here were my predictions with 7 to go, and the real results:

@COL (L) - L
@ARI (W) - W
vs WIN (W) - W
@NJ (W) - W
@NYI (W/L?) - W
——————————————
@NYR (L)
vs NJ (W)

and NYR's schedule/predictions:

vs DET (W) - W
vs WPG (W) - W
@ NYI (W) - W
@ BOS (L) - L
——————————————
vs CAR (W)
vs MON (W)
vs WAS (W/L?)

Pretty spot-on so far. Can probably change NYR’s game vs WAS to a W if Ovi is hurt.

The Sharks exorcised some demons last night! They had previously lost 11 straight to Vegas.

With just over two minutes left, down two goals, they made it 4-3, and then scored the game-tying goal with less than a second remaining. The cherry-on-top was the SO victory which has put the Knights in dire straights.

Tuesday's Vegas-Dallas tilt is going to be massive, and if the Stars take two in regulation, the Knights aren't making the playoffs for the first time in Vegas franchise history.

This is...not good.

They were looking to be toast anyway, hard to overcome losing at home to the Devils and Sharks in the final weeks of the season.

In happier goalie news reportedly Raanta backing up tomorrow and Andersen expected to be good for the playoffs. Sounds like bullet dodged

If there's one thing I wish they'd change about announcing hockey games....maybe it's just Maniscalco, but he always says "And a penalty to the Canes". Which sounds like the Hurricanes are getting a PP.

He should say AGAINST. "A penalty AGAINST the Canes"

Solid performance, good way to wrap it up.

Unless Tampa somehow only manages to pick up a point or less from @ CBJ and @ NYI AND the Bruins win out, it'll be Bruins-Canes once again

Back