• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Really fun game tonight, and it could have easily been a lot more than 4 goals.

I guess I’m a Tampa fan for the rest of the regular season. I want Boston.

Solid performance, good way to wrap it up.

Unless Tampa somehow only manages to pick up a point or less from @ CBJ and @ NYI AND the Bruins win out, it'll be Bruins-Canes once again

Just go ahead and give Tampa two points against Columbus. Unless Tampa is icing their AHL team, the Jackets kids won't have a chance.

Let's hope the Canes get Boston in the first round.

Also, it sounds like Tripp is going through the ringer with some alcohol issues. Hope all is ok with him.

When we were first placed in the Metro I was very fearful for the Canes long-term prospects. Now we've performed better than all those major-market teams and icons of the game, and have more than held our own over the course of the last four seasons.

Massive kudos to all those responsible

For the first time in Vegas Golden Knights history...they'll be on the golf course when the playoffs start.

Montreal also secured the first 32nd place in NHL history.

Just go ahead and give Tampa two points against Columbus. Unless Tampa is icing their AHL team, the Jackets kids won't have a chance.

JINX

So Boston isn't such a lock after all, Isles are playing hard, def could beat the Ning tomorrow. Bruins @ a TML team with nothing on the line.

Also do the Caps want Florida instead of the Rangers? Not sure about that

Regardless, fuck the NHL's trash format.

Our reward for having one of the two best records should be to play one of the clear two worst-performing regular-season teams. Particularly when those teams reside within our own division, and when they make divisional play a huge component of all this

Is Tampa throwing their last two games to try and get the Canes instead of Toronto? I am going to be annoyed if we face them in round one instead of Boston.

Regardless, fuck the NHL's trash format.

Our reward for having one of the two best records should be to play one of the clear two worst-performing regular-season teams. Particularly when those teams reside within our own division, and when they make divisional play a huge component of all this

Totally agree. Give us 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5.

Fuck, I could get behind 1-16, 2-15, etc. like they had in the early 80s.

6 playoff matchups are still TBD tonight.

As mentioned, the higher finishing team between Tampa/Boston will go to Toronto and the 'loser' going to Carolina. Boston controls the tie-breaker, but the Bolts have a one point cushion.

Same situation for Pittsburgh and Washington. In this case, the Pens control the tie-break AND have the one point cushion. Higher finisher goes to MSG, lower finisher gets the Presidents' Trophy Cats.

Nashville and Dallas mirror Pens/Caps. The Preds own the tie-breaker and have a one point lead going into the final game. Higher team visits Calgary, and the other gets the Avs.

The Canes and Kings are the only two teams not on the slate tonight. The relevant matchups from the above post:

7pm Bs @ Leafs
7pm BJs @ Pens
7pm Caps @ Rags
7:30pm Bolts @ Isles
8:30pm Ducks @ Stars
10:30pm Preds @ Yotes

I'm happy the Caps made the dance, but I have minimal expectations for the team. I hope the Washington players feel similarly free and just play some good playoff hockey. One oddity that may work in the Caps favor: they have the best road record in the NHL at 25-9-6. They'll have to be playoff road warriors if they want to pull any upsets and advance.

Otherwise, I'm rooting for the Canes in the East. I'd like to see the Avs, Flames, Wild, and Oilers make the second round in the West.

Once the matchups are finalized, I'll make a Bracket Challenge for the thread!

I'm happy the Caps made the dance, but I have minimal expectations for the team. I hope the Washington players feel similarly free and just play some good playoff hockey. One oddity that may work in the Caps favor: they have the best road record in the NHL at 25-9-6. They'll have to be playoff road warriors if they want to pull any upsets and advance.

Otherwise, I'm rooting for the Canes in the East. I'd like to see the Avs, Flames, Wild, and Oilers make the second round in the West.

Once the matchups are finalized, I'll make a Bracket Challenge for the thread!

Those are the EXACT teams I'm pulling for in the West. I love watching all of them play.

And what kind of Bracket Challenge do you do on here? How is it setup?

I think I could do well:

@COL (L) - L
@ARI (W) - W
vs WIN (W) - W
@NJ (W) - W
@NYI (W/L?) - W
@NYR (L) - W
vs NJ (W) - W

and NYR's schedule/predictions:

vs DET (W) - W
vs WPG (W) - W
@ NYI (W) - W
@ BOS (L) - L
vs CAR (W) - L
vs MON (W) - L
vs WAS (W/L?)

I think I did OK. Very surprised and glad that the Canes' were able to finish on a 6 Win Streak to end the season. Really didn't expect to win @NYR.

I think I just reflexively dislike the Avs from being a fan of the late 90s-early 00s red wings teams. So I won’t be sad if they lose.

Just announced on the Bruins/Leafs broadcast that the Canes will open at home against the Bruins on Monday.

Props to TML for not ducking the Ning. Maybe they'll perform similarly to the non-ducking Celtics vs. the Nets.

Canes-TML Eastern Conf Finals, 20 years on we're due, that's my prediction

Eastern sched, Canes beginning the ESPN playoff era!:

Also Perds blowing a 4-0 lead to the Coyotes of all teams and thus having to play Colorado is something else

Back