• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Also Perds blowing a 4-0 lead to the Coyotes of all teams and thus having to play Colorado is something else

That's insane. The Yotes rallied from 3 down to Dallas earlier this week, too. Who knew Arizona would play such a large part in playoff seeding?

Speaking of:

xx1j6l2j9gw81.jpg

I'm in. I really don't know much about the Western, so that felt like a total crapshoot.

So pumped for the start of the playoffs and the Hurricanes second Stanley Cup run. I'll be in section 120 tonight if there are any fellow Deacs that need a Storm Brew (yeah, it's bad, but they have a dedicated line for $5 and when in Rome).

Just for kicks, here are ESPN's picks for the Series Winners, Stanley Cup Champions and Conn Smythe Winners.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTIC

(1) Florida Panthers vs (4) Washington Capitals: Florida (27), Washington (2)

(2) Toronto Maple Leafs vs (3) Tampa Bay Lightning: Tampa Bay (22), Toronto (7)

METROPOLITAN

(1) Carolina Hurricanes vs (4) Boston Bruins: Carolina (17), Boston (12)

(2) New York Rangers vs (3) Pittsburgh Penguins: New York Rangers (23), Pittsburgh (6)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

CENTRAL

(1) Colorado Avalanche vs (4) Nashville Predators: Colorado (28), Nashville (1)

(2) Minnesota Wild vs (3) St. Louis Blues: Minnesota (17), St. Louis (12)

PACIFIC

(1) Calgary Flames vs (4) Dallas Stars: Calgary (29), Dallas (0)

(2) Edmonton Oilers vs (3) Los Angeles Kings: Edmonton (23), Los Angeles (6)

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS: Colorado (7), Calgary (5), Florida (4), Tampa Bay (4), Carolina (3), St. Louis (2), Minnesota (1), New York Rangers (1), Toronto (1)

Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoffs MVP): Cale Makar (3), Nathan MacKinnon (3), Aleksander Barkov (2), Jonathan Huberdeau (2), Sebastian Aho (2), Matthew Tkachuk (2), Andrei Vasilevskiy (2), Kirill Kaprizov (1), Jacob Markstrom (1), Robert Thomas (1), Igor Shesterkin (1), Johnny Gaudreau (1), Victor Hedman (1), Darcy Kuemper (1), Ville Husso (1), Auston Matthews (1), Elias Lindholm (1), Brayden Point (1)

AMAZING start to the Playoffs. Just UNBELIEVABLE game 1 showing and spectacular performance from Antti Raanta!!!

5 goals from 5 different scorers!

BTW, did the Canes make a decision to stop doing special or different Storm Surges after wins? I miss those.

BTW, did the Canes make a decision to stop doing special or different Storm Surges after wins? I miss those.

From what I have gathered from different articles and interviews the Hurricanes started the storm surge as a team morale gimmick to get fans excited, but as the franchise has regained relevancy they don’t feel the need to be so gimmicky, so the storm surge continues now as more of a tradition

Some solid beatdowns last night.

In the most competitive contest, Mike Smith gave the game away in the third. Per Reddit, the Oilers have been tied in the last 12 minutes of the 3rd period in their last 7 playoff games. Their record in those games is 0-7 :eek:

Last night was a lot of fun. The atmosphere at PNC in the playoffs is just another level. It's really cool how much the players seem to appreciate how loud the fans get and how much energy there is.

Although the final score indicates that we smoked them, it was a very tight game for the first 30 minutes. That game would have looked very different if the Bruins had gotten one of many grade A chances past Raanta in the first, or if they hadn't hit the post in the second which would have made it 2-2. Instead of sitting back, they had to be more aggressive and we used the open space to get a bunch of great looks and 2 more goals, followed by the empty netter.

To answer the question on the storm surge, they haven't done anything special this season (or last season if I remember correctly). They just do the normal circle and then salute the fans, like they did last night.

Last night was a lot of fun. The atmosphere at PNC in the playoffs is just another level. It's really cool how much the players seem to appreciate how loud the fans get and how much energy there is.

Although the final score indicates that we smoked them, it was a very tight game for the first 30 minutes. That game would have looked very different if the Bruins had gotten one of many grade A chances past Raanta in the first, or if they hadn't hit the post in the second which would have made it 2-2. Instead of sitting back, they had to be more aggressive and we used the open space to get a bunch of great looks and 2 more goals, followed by the empty netter.

To answer the question on the storm surge, they haven't done anything special this season (or last season if I remember correctly). They just do the normal circle and then salute the fans, like they did last night.

Yeah, last season they did the normal circle and then showed a different front-line worker on the video board as a tribute to those fighting the pandemic. The "unique" storm surges haven't taken place since pre-Covid days.

From what I have gathered from different articles and interviews the Hurricanes started the storm surge as a team morale gimmick to get fans excited, but as the franchise has regained relevancy they don’t feel the need to be so gimmicky, so the storm surge continues now as more of a tradition

That makes sense, but still a bit of a bummer.

I feel like they did one this season where two guys raced from one goal line to the other. Maybe I'm misremembering.

That makes sense, but still a bit of a bummer.

I feel like they did one this season where two guys raced from one goal line to the other. Maybe I'm misremembering.

That was on "Nascar night", I believe. For theme nights/holidays, they sometimes did something a little different for the storm surge (they all grabbed candy and tossed it over the glass on the game played on Halloween afternoon), but nothing too crazy like they used to do in 2019/early 2020.

Anyone stay up for the 3 OTs in the Penguins/Rangers game? Penguins starting goalie leaves with any injury early in the first OT and a journeyman backup comes in cold and makes 17 saves before Malkin scores the winner. Great game.

Anyone stay up for the 3 OTs in the Penguins/Rangers game? Penguins starting goalie leaves with any injury early in the first OT and a journeyman backup comes in cold and makes 17 saves before Malkin scores the winner. Great game.

Yeah, I was flipping back and forth between that and the Warriors/Grizzlies game. The funniest part was his post-game interview where he mentioned he had eaten some "spicy beef and broccoli" as a snack in between the 1st and 2nd overtimes to give him some energy and he just smiled and said something like "maybe that wasn't such a good idea, but it worked out".

Pens out xG'd the Rangers 2-to-1 so certainly the deserved winners. Didn't think the Rangers plan to shoot easy shots at Domingue was a very good idea, particularly since they aren't a shot-volume team normally.

Pretty exciting start, Stars-Flames aside. Panthers gotta learn you can't make massive defensive boners in the playoffs

How many brackets have you guys made? I've made 5 lol.

I wish you could do multiple without joining multiple leagues. But I guess I get the reasoning.

I think I'm going to do one that is the exact opposite of the one I do in our league and see how it does.

I understand why we're putting out the same lineup from Monday, but I really think we would benefit from having Stepan in there soon.

Back