• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

We only have $4M in cap space currently per Puckpedia/Cap Friendly and we still need to do an RFA deal with Necas and have some flexibility. If you wanted to keep Nino then you'd have to undo one of our previous moves this offseason -- or perhaps something like the KK deal which I would understand.

For me Pacioretty and Burns are more valuable even at higher salaries than Nino because they are capable of putting the puck in the net in the playoffs. Nino just isn't at that level -- he was on a great third line for us, but it's just a third line. We need goal scorers and that's what we went out and got

Suppose we could have bought out Gardiner but the FO seems reluctant to do that as a general rule

I read an article in the Athletic this morning that said the Canes were one of the finalists to land Matthew Tkachuk. The story said they offered a package centered around Necas. I wonder if a Svetchnikov package might have done it. Tkachuk is an upgrade over Svetch and they would have kept him away from the Panthers. That would have been a really fun team to watch. I wonder if the front office misread the leverage they thought they had over Calgary since everyone knew Tkachuk was leaving.

At least the Panthers had to give up Hubredeau to get him so maybe it won't matter.

And Weegar is a good player too. Two dudes with their contracts expiring doe between him and Huberdeau doe, they might have liked some longer term certainty which Svech would've provided.

Think Svech's personality works in his favor a lot, the kind of dude you want to keep and build a team around

DAMN.....losing Nino too?

IDK....the experts can grade this offseason an A all they want, but I'm gonna be missing the team from this last year.

Losing Trocheck, Nino, DeAngelo, etc.....UGH!

Really hope these moves work out.

Bad injury news comes in at least twos it seems, Pacioretty tore his achilles for those that haven't seen.

Dude is injury prone but didn't expect for something to happen before training camp even started

Bad injury news comes in at least twos it seems, Pacioretty tore his achilles for those that haven't seen.

Dude is injury prone but didn't expect for something to happen before training camp even started

What's the other injury news?

Not sure if serious.

If serious, then I’m not referring to another Canes injury but one that is being covered significantly in other threads

Fun little exercise I saw on Reddit - who would you pick?

ji3kzbbkpyg91.jpg

Gaudreau - McDavid - Kucherov
Dahlin - Heiskanen
Andersen

Forsberg - Mathews - Kucherov
Josi - Makar
Saros

Last edited:
Not savvy enough to do the form but I'll go Forsberg-Draisatl-Rantanen/Makar-Hughes/Vasil.

Assume you can't take two D from the same column, that obvs makes a big diff

Fun little exercise I saw on Reddit - who would you pick?

ji3kzbbkpyg91.jpg

My initial knee-jerk response:
FORSBERG - MATTHEWS - RANTANEN
MAKAR - SEIDER
VASILEVSKIY

But I actually just spent over an hour doing some statistical analysis :geek:, I took their stats from the last two full years, or most complete year they've played in the last 4-5 seasons, ranked them by position alone and then within country alone, and I think the best possible lineup is this:

GAUDREAU (LW1, USA1) - MCDAVID (C1, CAN1) - RANTANEN (RW1, FIN1)
JOSI (LD1, ROW1) - DAHLIN (RD3, SWE3)
VASILEVSKIY (GK4)

You could also go:

HUBERDEAU (LW2, CAN2) - DRAISAITL (C2, ROW1) - RANTANEN (RW1, FIN1)
HEDMAN (LD2, SWE1) - HUGHES (RD1, USA3)
VASILEVSKIY (GK4)

I feel like GK and RW are almost obvious, based on competition, and the hardest spots are clearly C and LD....choosing between McDavid/Matthews/Draisaitl and then Makar/Fox/Hedman/Josi is just insane.

Now that I've wasted an entire evening on this, it's back to FIFA. I've only been trying to finish my first season on Career Mode for 2 months. :wtftard:

Any Athletic-heads notice how a bevy of their Hockey journalists are all named Sean? McIndoe (Down Goes Brown), Gentille, Shapiro, Fitz-Gerald. It's kind of amazing.

Back