• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Kuznetsov called for the penalty. 3-on-3 again.

Jesus my whole body tenses up when Ovie goes for that one-timer.

I know my posts are annoying as fuck, but I don't care. I'm excited.

Going to shootout now after some great penalty killing from the Canes.

Of course Ovie ends it.

Dammit.....3 straight losses.

Need to pick it up and not collapse heading into the final stretch of games.

Got the Rangers on Sunday. Another rough matchup.

I'll shut up now, carry on.

Slim I appreciate your hockey posts. Keep doing you. Tough loss indeed but b2b games are always tough, happy to get 1 point tonight. Would’ve liked to get 2/4 or 3/4 but oh well.

Shootout losses used to be the norm, now feels super weird when we actually lose one

I know my posts are annoying as fuck, but I don't care. I'm excited.

Going to shootout now after some great penalty killing from the Canes.

Keep it up, this thread could use more traffic.

I got to see last night's contest in person, and it was well worth the price of admission - there was a little bit of everything. I was surprised there wasn't a fight with all the accelerants (Niederreiter checked in the bench, Kuznetsov getting destroyed, Smith reverse-checking Wilson, Garnet Hathaway being a pest, etc) plus the blooming rivalry between the teams.

Losing 1-2 so far. The 2nd Caps goal was so strange. Ovechkin tries to put a big hit on Niederreiter and then all the players sort of pause. They said a penalty was called but I never saw it and Kuznetsov sneaks a sharp angle goal in by Raanta.

Doofus and I were sitting right in front of the Ovi/Niederreiter kerfuffle, and we totally missed that goal! I had to watch some replays afterward to process what actually happened.

Looks like DOPS gave Niederreiter a one-game suspension for slashing the Caps bench (Axel Jonsson-Fjallby).

Last edited:
Yea just saw that. Didn't notice it during the game.

Definitely deserved punishment.

Giroux to the Panthers. Some added depth to an already potent offense.

Rumors he may slot in next to Barkov.

Glad we already finished our season series against them. We already went 0-1-2 against them.

I have no love lost for Philadelphia, but watching Giroux's 1,000th game final lap and reading his post-game press comments was really sad. Dude is a gamer and will always be recognized as a Flyer.

Cats are primed for a run.

1:30 left…pulled the goalie…gonna lose again.

4 straight….damn….we’re doing everything we can to blow the Metro lead.

Bummed :(

If we play the Rangers in the playoffs it's going to look exactly like that, so at least we got a preview.

Gotta figure out how to score goals against teams that bunker. Always my biggest concern with this team/Rod regarding their ability to come up with a solution to that. Especially when so many offensive guys aren't firing, that's gotta change over the course of the next month

44 shots for the Canes vs 17 for the Rangers? Ridiculous

We played too well not to get a goal. Especially in the 3rd…stayed in the Rangers zone the whole time. Those two clangers off the post were sooo close.

I thought we were ok with offensive depth, but do we need another middle line guy? If so, are there any out there? I don’t know a lot about where guys are played on offense, but I know top 6 are more offensive, and we seem ok there with Aho/Svech/Jarvis and Necas/Trocheck/Teravainen or however they line up. I don’t see any of them being pushed out, so where is the answer?

If we keep getting important injuries and suspensions and stuff like that we’re gonna lose in the standings and face tougher teams to start the playoffs.

We don’t need to Wake Forest this thing up and collapse at the end of the season.

For fucks sake we’ve got Tampa Bay twice in the next week or so. (EDIT: Plus St. Louis and a Dallas team that is fighting for a Wild Card spot.)

We need to snap out of it. We've got a game in hand and are 3 points up on Pittsburgh and Rangers. We've got a bit of a cushion, but can't let it get away.

Last edited:
The offensive stars need to start putting pucks in the net. 44 shots and no goals? Same old story - outshooting the opponent (except the Caps) and not putting enough shots in the goal. It feels like Svech and Tuevo haven't scored in 10 games. And Aho in about 6. Can't keep expecting the back up lines to carry the offense.

I was at both the Caps game Friday and the Rangers game Sunday, it was like getting kicked in the balls twice. Some nights, the team just doesn't have it and others the bounces just don't go your way. The Rangers game was absolutely in the second category. I don't think I've ever seen us dominate a game so thoroughly and lose. I have to think the goals will come.

Looking towards the playoffs, this team just feels like their missing another scorer. Aho/Svech/Turbo are going to have to step up in a big way, as the production behind them can't be counted on regularly. It's nice to see Staal's offensive game returning lately, and Tro/Nino are more than capable, but our top line is going to have to carry the team.

It would also be nice if Necas could give us anything. I've always really liked him, great skater, super fast, has shown flashes of great offensive talent. But he's been absolute garbage lately, including missing the net on two of our best chances yesterday.

For all of our shots we were only up 6-4 on the Rangers in 5-on-5 high-danger chances through the first two periods. Not good enough when we were completely dominating the game

Max Domi of my CBJ traded to Carolina for basically a bag of pucks. Seriously, are there any Canes fans out there who have ever heard of Aiden Hreschuk?

Nice acquisition by the Canes. Domi is an agitator who has the ability to score some goals. He's also a really good playmaker. The downside is that he's not great defensively and has a tendency to take some bad penalties at times. When he's engaged, he will be a fan favorite. He can provide the secondary scoring that the Canes will need in the playoffs and he'll provide a physical presence when needed. Nice move to get this guy for basically nothing. Let's go Canes!

Max Domi of my CBJ traded to Carolina for basically a bag of pucks. Seriously, are there any Canes fans out there who have ever heard of Aiden Hreschuk?

Nice acquisition by the Canes. Domi is an agitator who has the ability to score some goals. He's also a really good playmaker. The downside is that he's not great defensively and has a tendency to take some bad penalties at times. When he's engaged, he will be a fan favorite. He can provide the secondary scoring that the Canes will need in the playoffs and he'll provide a physical presence when needed. Nice move to get this guy for basically nothing. Let's go Canes!

Will be interesting to see where he plays. He doesn't score much, but does seem to rack up assists. I could seem him as a 3rd/4th line player that gives us a little more offense.

A lot of moves in the top teams today including:

G Marc-Andre Fleury to Minnesota
F Rickard Rakell to Pittsburgh
F Derick Brassard to Edmonton
D Brett Kulak to Edmonton
F Tyler Motte to New York
D Justin Braun to New York
F Artturi Lehkonen to Colorado
F Andrew Cogliano to Colorado
F Johan Larsson to Washington
F Marcus Johansson to Washington
G Kaapo Kahkonen to San Jose