• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NHL Thread

Still trying to figure out how the Canes got Domi while getting the Panthers to retain 25% of his salary and basically give Columbus a bag of pucks. That's some serious Jedi mind tricking.

Southeast Division NHL takeover continues.

Glad we aren't in the "Central" this year.

Apparently Max Domi and Nick Paul went to Leafs games together as kids. Helluva day for those two

Ooof Brock McGinn.

Rangers get massively XG'ed again yet find a way to win. If we lose to these guys I'll be furious

Can't believe Dallas is still in this series.

I had Calgary sweeping them lol. I would have sworn their offensive talent and GK would have taken them swiftly into the 2nd round.

I guess that shows my collective knowledge of the NHL. Though I watched every Canes game but 2 or 3, and almost every Calgary/Edmonton/Wild/Avs game that I could.

Dallas was a tough matchup for Calgary with their defensive discipline, general willingness to just let Calgary have the puck and excellence in goal. Playing Edmonton should be pretty freeing for them after this, though obvs it's gonna be emotionally intense

What a second round:

-Battle of Alberta
-Battle of Florida
-Rangers versus some ex-Rangers (DeAngelo being the obvious storyline, but also Stepan, Skjei, Fast, Smith, and even Raanta)

You need elite goaltending to make a run for the Cup. I didn't think the Stars had that and thought they'd last maybe 5 games. Turns out, the offensive shitshow of the Stars is just as bad as advertised, but they have elite goaltending. Time to overhaul the roster in front of Oettinger, though. They are lacking speed, puckhandling, pretty much everything.

I haven't been as impressed with a Stars goaltending performance since the Belfour days, and that's when you could wear so much padding as to pretty much take up the entire goal. Positively Hasek-esque at times.

Do the Canes roll out Freddie cold vs. the Rangers or stick with Raanta?

Do the Canes roll out Freddie cold vs. the Rangers or stick with Raanta?

Raanta will start. I don't think Freddie is going to play until he's had plenty of practice time, especially with how good Raanta has been at home.

You need elite goaltending to make a run for the Cup.

Jordan Binnington
Corey Crawford
Late career/backup to start the playoffs Braden Holtby
Matt Murray (is he even still in the league?)

You need your goalie to play well, because of course. But the best way to build a team is not around a goalie anymore. Even Vasilevsky, while very good, is just a component of a stacked team, he's never been winning games on his own

The best way to make a goalie look elite is to surround him with an awesome defense, and the Canes have the best in the league. Production from our stars will dictate how far the team goes. Need a better series from Aho and Svetch. I really wish Rod would put Turbo back on that line and move Jarvis to play with Trocheck and Domi/Necas.

The best way to make a goalie look elite is to surround him with an awesome defense, and the Canes have the best in the league. Production from our stars will dictate how far the team goes. Need a better series from Aho and Svetch. I really wish Rod would put Turbo back on that line and move Jarvis to play with Trocheck and Domi/Necas.

I hear ya, but the Domi-Turbo connection (all 3 goals) was great in game 7.

Nothing surprising here, especially compared to Lamoriello's unilateral shit-canning.

Back