• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football rated 9th hardest coaching job by the Athletic

Picking out games more than a decade ago where we had a great home crowd proves their point. Our fans should go to the games, especially if they would like for Clawson to continue coaching the program.

I completely agree, I was arguing that it's not unprecedented for us to have a true "home-field advantage," but it is rare. I haven't missed a home game since 2001, except for the Covid season last year.

This is such horse shit. I don't have time right now to tear it apart, but I will.

Hard to disagree with a lot of that. I think we're trying on the game day experience. We go to all of them and have a great time. But college sports attendance is down nationwide and it shows even more at a small school like Wake.

Also don't disagree about the branding part. We held our own to an extent when the ACC was a smaller basketball first conference, but the lost decade in basketball really hurt our national brand. We had opportunities to build off some success in football and basketball in the 2000s and squandered it.

Still, fourth or fifth pick in the state for football? Carolina and State yeah, but Duke should be a push and how many guys are we losing to app st.? Maybe he meant UNCC.

Most likely EZU, large stadium and rabid fanbase

Loud isn't what gives us home field advantage. Opposing players see it and laugh. This is like high school. So about the second play a 19 year-old has a grown ass man show him about football. VPI usually loses after their Sandown crap. Past 30 I bet they under .500 at home.

The away side was 50% full at most. Home side was probably 90%. A 70% capacity crowd in a crucial divisional battle at 4-0, coming off two 20+ point conference wins, was super disappointing.

I'll be there, but I'm fully anticipating the State game to be 50/50. And so is the AD, because they're price gouging like crazy compared to every other game this year.

Based on past years, I expect the State game to be 60/40 Wake/State. Which isn't that bad considering they have more alumni and fans in the Triad than Wake does. It will be a really fun environment.

It’s not the writers throwing this list together. They polled 60 coaches, execs, and agents so this is what peers believe, not what the writing staff thinks.

Groves was loud during the louisville game

Agreed. Twice in the 2nd half when Wake was near The Hill endzone, Hartman had to step back and give the crowd the "quiet down" signal (which I thought was a bit funny/unnecessary, but point stands).

Given we’ve had three coaches in 30 years who all made millions and millions of dollars i think it’s not that bad a gig. Expectations are low, facilities are great. Yeah support is tough but I don’t think it’s a bad job at all.

Loud isn't what gives us home field advantage. Opposing players see it and laugh. This is like high school. So about the second play a 19 year-old has a grown ass man show him about football. VPI usually loses after their Sandown crap. Past 30 I bet they under .500 at home.

Packer did an analysis of that recently. If their win percentage (don't remember the time frame) wasn't under .500 it wasn't much above it.

Given we’ve had three coaches in 30 years who all made millions and millions of dollars i think it’s not that bad a gig. Expectations are low, facilities are great. Yeah support is tough but I don’t think it’s a bad job at all.

Based on the top 10, it clearly wasn’t a ranking of bad jobs. On the other hand, if it is supposed to be the hardest jobs to meet fan expectations, your point is well taken and I agree.

Packer did an analysis of that recently. If their win percentage (don't remember the time frame) wasn't under .500 it wasn't much above it.
VaTech was a game under .500 (14-15 or something). Wake was third from bottom at like 13-18 or something.

Based on the top 10, it clearly wasn’t a ranking of bad jobs. On the other hand, if it is supposed to be the hardest jobs to meet fan expectations, your point is well taken and I agree.

The article starts by acknowledging that respondents didn't really agree on what a "hard job" actually is. Clearly that's the case given the list. It's "hard" to win a championship at Wake, but is it any harder than it is at 110 other FBS programs? On the other side, two straight coaches have shown it's possible to regularly make bowls and to be a 7-8 win team.

VaTech was a game under .500 (14-15 or something). Wake was third from bottom at like 13-18 or something.

Atlantic teams should get a little break for having to host FSU and then Clemson at program peaks every other year. There’s no excuse for a Coastal team to be under .500 at home.

Last edited:
4th or 5th in the state is an exaggeration surely. I�d say we�re probably even with Duke in regards to football recruiting/program cache. We�ve won more consistently than them in the last 20 years and our admission standards are slightly (slightly) less limiting. I do honestly wonder why Duke wasn�t mentioned *at all*.

duke has an easier time admitting and keeping athletes eligible. They share classes with NC Central and they warehouse a ton of athletes there. It’s not exactly a well kept secret.

This must have slipped by me somehow. Although I live in Va. I pay little attention to Va. Tech. Could you please explain the meaning? Thanks.

Last edited:
“Wake Forest

First-place votes: 0

Like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest battles a trifecta of higher academic standards, lower budgets and lower enrollments than its conference counterparts.

“They never have a home-field advantage that can help win you a game,” one Power 5 assistant said.

This year, though, the Demon Deacons are one of 13 undefeated teams remaining and are a contender for their second ACC title since 1970.

“I think Dave Clawson has done an incredible job with what’s an incredibly difficult opportunity. The academic requirements at Wake Forest are high, and you’re maybe the fourth or fifth choice in your own state,” one agent said. “I also think that Wake struggles as an institution from a branding standpoint, in that I feel as though when you’re recruiting to Wake Forest away from the Mid-Atlantic/South, a part of the job is educating recruits on what Wake Forest is.””

1 Vandy, 2 Kansas, 3 Nebraska, 4 Texas, 5 Washington St, 6 Miami, 7 Auburn, 8 Tennessee, 10 Michigan

There's some truth in this statement. IMHO, Wake could do FAR better with branding. It appears Currie is trying very hard on this front.

There's some truth in this statement. IMHO, Wake could do FAR better with branding. It appears Currie is trying very hard on this front.
The Deacon Head absolutely needs to come back as our primary athletics logo. It has so much more mileage available from a branding perspective - makes the AD look more like a sports program and less like a New England boarding school.

Back