• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football rated 9th hardest coaching job by the Athletic

The Deacon Head absolutely needs to come back as our primary athletics logo. It has so much more mileage available from a branding perspective - makes the AD look more like a sports program and less like a New England boarding school.
I only buy Deacon head gear.

I get what they're saying with the home field, but I don't entirely agree. For instance the home crowd against BC in 2006 was awesome and I'm sure helped us in that game. FSU in 2007 and 2008 against Clemson are a couple of other examples, as there I'm sure are others.

But just a few. There are schools where it's week after week after week. At our size we won't have that.

The answer was in the context of comparison to Ohio State and Wisconsin. Neither of those B1G schools have another B1G team in the same state.

It would seem, then, that Mich State would be equally as difficult.

It would seem, then, that Mich State would be equally as difficult.

It seems that many of the contributors consider a history of success to be a greater burden on the coaching job - in this case Michigan fans having much higher expectations than Mich St fans., same for Tennessee, Miami, Nebraska

I wonder how many coaches, ADs, etc consider their football program a hard job. I’m guessing most do.

How does the Demon Deacon play outside of our own community?

Speaking of uniforms… Indiana is taking on the fighting Kenneth Walkers and their metallic red helmet with their bright red jerseys doesn’t look right to me. That is all.

Back to discussing how hard Wake’s coaching job is.

Wake's coaching job was a lot tougher 40 years ago when we played money games and had poor facilities. Now you have 3 wins per season practically guaranteed. It used to be we were lucky to win 3 games. And 50 plus years ago we played at Bowman Gray Stadium. Try recruiting players for that stadium unless the kid is a NASCAR fan.

There's some truth in this statement. IMHO, Wake could do FAR better with branding. It appears Currie is trying very hard on this front.

I think our OOC scheduling could help this. Stop playing Liberty and Army every year.

I buy a lot of this, but not branding. Being an excellent academic school helps as much as it hurts. While we lose some recruits that way, we get a lot of parents on board that way too.

I buy a lot of this, but not branding. Being an excellent academic school helps as much as it hurts. While we lose some recruits that way, we get a lot of parents on board that way too.

This. We’ve got to lean into this and sell the program as this decade version of Stanford where you can get an elite education and win 9+ games a year.

This. We’ve got to lean into this and sell the program as this decade version of Stanford where you can get an elite education and win 9+ games a year.
Generally agree. But marketing is also about some level of schtick. There's the "eye-catch" component that's important on an ESPN stick ticker, or a highlight reel. Seeing a layered "WF" logo is literally as boring and uninspiring as you can get from a brand. I get that it means something to the academic side of the university, but then use the Reynolda gate version. But you absolutely need the Deacon Head to be the forefront of your athletic department and we are losing ground until we change it.

Generally agree. But marketing is also about some level of schtick. There's the "eye-catch" component that's important on an ESPN stick ticker, or a highlight reel. Seeing a layered "WF" logo is literally as boring and uninspiring as you can get from a brand. I get that it means something to the academic side of the university, but then use the Reynolda gate version. But you absolutely need the Deacon Head to be the forefront of your athletic department and we are losing ground until we change it.

Huh. I don’t see it this way at all. Deacon head is fun and the WF is classy and cool. Both add to our branding.

Back