• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ Syracuse Friday 10/15

With the way our defense played that game we would’ve won with Wolford I think. He was unreal that year.

I mean has Clawson ever been forthcoming about injuries? Just because it wasn't common knowledge that Wolford was injured doesn't mean he wasn't

To clarify, you're suggesting that FSU has a better chance of winning at Clemson than Wake does? The team that Wake beat by 21 (could/should have been worse) is better suited to win at Clemson because...?

Because FSU is playing better and our D has reverted back to a typical Clawson D with the loss of 2-3 major contributing starters.

No way Syracuse should have gotten the yardage on us they did.

I'm always concerned about every opponent. Army upset us with Skinner throwing 3 INTs, IIRC. Duke has spoiled a season or beat us when underdogs. UNC's O loves our D. Just hoping we find a way to win and Clemson losses at least 2 ACC games, so a loss to them won't prevent a division title, ala 2006.

Last edited:
With the way our defense played that game we would’ve won with Wolford I think. He was unreal that year.

Maybe, but we didn't score until garbage time in that game. It wasn't like we were constantly hanging around or responding to scores. Wolford might have changed the dynamic of the game, but it would have had to been a completely different game. We were being handled by Clemson, so I'm not sure we were one player away from putting us over the edge in that one, so to speak.

One thing I remember in that game was we tackled receivers well after catches. There weren't a lot of wide-open catches with no defender within 5-15 yards. Tackling of backs was a other story. QB and RBs ran out of our grasp multiple times for significant gains or 1st downs.

Even 28-0 would have looked good compared to most of Clawson's losses to Clemson.

Last edited:
IIRC, Wolford got banged up against FSU the week before and it was the type of injury where he maybe would have played against a different opponent, but there was no sense in rolling him out in a game where we'd likely get steamrolled and he would take a ton of punishment.

Which is to say I think we pretty much knew he wasn't going to play, but didn't know for sure until the first team offense actually took the field.

I'm about to head out of the office and don't have time to find the "other thread," but based on the unofficial game thread, it does not appear that the fanbase knew he wasn't going to play.

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/28739-Clemson-game-now!?highlight=clemson

Clemson nepotism is gonna keep killing them. Lots disention on their team.

Hope the nepotism issues to be true, but Venables' kid plays defense, and their defense has been great. He is Skalski's backup, and Skalski was hurt.

Swinney's kid gets some reps on offense at receiver, but Justyn Ross (the kid who lit up Bama as a freshman) is supposedly healthy and able to play against Cuse. If Swinney's kid is getting reps over Justyn Ross, yes, Clemson has a problem.

I think the bigger criticism of Swinney's kids is they are the starting and backup holders and they are both of scholarship (on top of the two Venables kids also being on scholarship). From what I understand there is a not insignificant portion of the fanbase that's pissed they are on scholarship since Clemson obviously has some depth issues on offense.

Dabo's schtick works great when you are winning, but it seems that it could get old real fast when you start to lose a few. I could definitely see dissension in the locker room.

....and with the dough those both take in....

Kinda like Joe Biden putting Hunter on Medicaid.....

Are Dabo’s kids really on scholarship? That is absolutely appalling. According to a quick Google search in-state tuition is ~$16k a year and he’s on a $93MM contract. What an absolute POS. I guess Jesus just wanted it this way though.

Wasn't Brandon Childress on scholarship? Wasn't Manning's kid on his staff? Isn't Forbes' kid on his staff?

Glass houses, folks.

Wasn't Brandon Childress on scholarship? Wasn't Manning's kid on his staff? Isn't Forbes' kid on his staff?

Glass houses, folks.
The problem for Clemson is the locker room doesn't think their coaches kids deserve their minutes. Pretty sure Childress was not seen that way. It's not the scholarship. Staff is entirely different, though I wouldnt allow it.

Glass houses, folks.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Childress was the only player. Yet, he was a legit recruit and was a contributor who eventually started for the team. His dad was an assistant.

I don't think Dabo"s kids were legit D1 prospects. If Childress had been a walk-on who got a scholarship freshman year, then maybe that would be a fair comparison.

The Venables kids were actual D1 prospects. We offered Tyler Venables. Jake Venables actually plays. I think it's fair to say that they wouldn't be at Clemson on scholarship if not for their dad and to question how much of their playing time is because of their dad. With that said, both of the Venables would probably be at FBS programs right now regardless.

The Swinney kids are a more egregious example. At best they'd be playing D3 ball, but they're eating up two scholarships now in a program with national championship aspirations, depth issues, and a coach who refuses to take players from the transfer portal.

Childress really isn't a fair comparison to either set of Clemson kids because we sucked ass the whole time he was here and we weren't burning a scholarship on him like the Swinney kids. If we were recruiting like Duke, Kentucky, or UNC and had a bunch of 5 stars lined up and gave Childress a scholarship over one of them, then maybe we could compare him to the Venables kids. The Swinney kids would be like if Forbes decided to move his kid from video coordinator to PF and give him a scholly.

Staffing is a whole different can of worms. I don't like the nepotism, but Manning's kid being the towel boy and Forbes' son being the video coordinator don't actively harm the team. Swinney's kids taking up scholarships causes direct harm to the team since those scholarships could have been used to address depth issues.

There was no problem with Childress being on the Wake basketball team. The problem was that he was probably our best player.

Because FSU is playing better and our D has reverted back to a typical Clawson D with the loss of 2-3 major contributing starters.

No way Syracuse should have gotten the yardage on us they did.

I'm always concerned about every opponent. Army upset us with Skinner throwing 3 INTs, IIRC. Duke has spoiled a season or beat us when underdogs. UNC's O loves our D. Just hoping we find a way to win and Clemson losses at least 2 ACC games, so a loss to them won't prevent a division title, ala 2006.

That was Navy, not Army. My gosh, yeah we KNOW the defense hasn't looked great the past 2 games, but we're 6-0 for the first time since maybe anybody on this board was alive. We've got a tough last half of the season and particularly last 3rd of the season, but we've got a chance to do something really special, enjoy the ride.

Back