• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson @ Syracuse Friday 10/15

80deacon

Reaction score
We need Clemson to rack up as many conference loses as possible. I guess all remaining games have potential. My guess is @ Pitt is the best chance. I will be rooting for Syracuse Friday but I just don't see that upset happening. Maybe the Tigers with multiple TOs (2 or 3) deep in their own territory would give Cuse a shot. But otherwise, I just dont see the Orange O getting anywhere near the yardage they did vs us. They did well at FSU and FSU played well the next week away at UNC, so let's just watch the game, cheer, and hope. Cuse generally does play Clemson well recently.

Clemson gets both us and FSU at home. We just don't generally play well there. When we have, we usually get jabbed by the officiating. We also tend to let the noise bother us (seems BC had multiple false starts which impacted the game in Clemson's favor). And lastly, we usually incur several injuries. FSU may have a little better chance if they sustain their improved play, but I really don't think they will win there, either.

So the road games at Syracuse and Pitt are best chances. Let's hope Syracuse finds a way to pull off an upset. (They are currently 2 TD dogs as this is written)

You are more concerned with Clemson than NC State?

Or Army, as I was not sold on our run defense last week.

Garnes helped, he was a surprise.

FSU may have a little better chance if they sustain their improved play, but I really don't think they will win there, either.

To clarify, you're suggesting that FSU has a better chance of winning at Clemson than Wake does? The team that Wake beat by 21 (could/should have been worse) is better suited to win at Clemson because...?

I’m definitely more concerned with Clemson than nc state

WF plays State at home where I think WF is 11-2 against the Pack over the last 25 years. I believe WF has not won at Clemson since Jimmy Kemp was the WF QB and Ken Hatfield coached Clemson. So, history would say Clemson is the bigger threat. If WF can't beat State at home, WF doesn't deserve to win the division.

I believe WF has not won at Clemson since Jimmy Kemp was the WF QB and Ken Hatfield coached Clemson.

Caldwell won at least 1 game at Clemson - Against Tommy West, I believe.

The details are a little fuzzy but I was in the stands that day and remember Thabiti Davis popping off.

1998 - Brian Kuklick was the QB.

I think 2003 was when we got screwed out of an OT victory with a phantom pass int. call.

Caldwell won at least 1 game at Clemson - Against Tommy West, I believe.

The details are a little fuzzy but I was in the stands that day and remember Thabiti Davis popping off.

Caldwell won in Death Valley in 93. He then beat Clemson in Death Valley again in 1998. Clemson fired their coach each year.

1998 - Brian Kuklick was the QB.

I think 2003 was when we got screwed out of an OT victory with a phantom pass int. call.
We got hosed in 2002 and 2004 in Death Valley. I think 2002 was the worst if i remember correctly.

In 2003 we beat that ass 45-17 in Groves

Yes, Jimmy Kemp was the QB in 1993; Kuklick in 1998.

Deacs have lost 10 straight at Clemson since the 1998 win. The last 4 trips to Death Valley:

2013: 56-7
2015: 33-13
2017: 28-14
2019: 52-3

We had a lot of chances in that 2017 game. Hinton surprisingly started over Wolford and we had some drives we just couldn't finish and the defense held Clemson back throughout second and third quarters.

The last 4 trips to Death Valley:

2013: 56-7
2015: 33-13
2017: 28-14
2019: 52-3

Well that includes 3 CFP playoff teams and a 2013 Clemson that finished at #8 against a pre-Clawson Wake team, so I don't think this is actually all that predictive of what might happen in this year's game.

Well that includes 3 CFP playoff teams and a 2013 Clemson that finished at #8 against a senile Grobe led option offense, so I don't think this is actually all that predictive of what might happen in this year's game.

We had a lot of chances in that 2017 game. Hinton surprisingly started over Wolford and we had some drives we just couldn't finish and the defense held Clemson back throughout second and third quarters.

Wolford was injured, so it wasn't a surprise, it was a necessity.

Wolford was injured, so it wasn't a surprise, it was a necessity.

it was definitely a surprise, especially being at the game and seeing Hinton trot out for the first series.

With no indication in the injury report that the four-year starter would miss the game, the speculation was kept to those closest to the football program.

Before the team announced moments before kickoff that redshirt sophomore Kendall Hinton would start in place of the injured Wolford — who was considered available if necessary — the Wake Forest faithful were expecting to see number 10 on the field.

https://wfuogb.com/4307/sports/deacs-fall-to-no-2-clemson-in-death-valley/

IIRC, Wolford got banged up against FSU the week before and it was the type of injury where he maybe would have played against a different opponent, but there was no sense in rolling him out in a game where we'd likely get steamrolled and he would take a ton of punishment.

Which is to say I think we pretty much knew he wasn't going to play, but didn't know for sure until the first team offense actually took the field.

Back