• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Colin Powell Dead

I remember the simpler times on the Tunnels when a white lib could call a sitting black supreme court justice "Uncle Thomas" with very little pushback.

is there a link to this? serious question, i would like to see this evolution. unfortunately, your word is not sufficient on this point

LOL that thread was amazing. "I SAID UNCLE THOMAS"

however, if that's the thread, i think we can agree that brad's "little pushback" comment wasn't accurate. that thing derailed the second rj made his comment.

however, if that's the thread, i think we can agree that brad's "little pushback" comment wasn't accurate. that thing derailed the second rj made his comment.

RJ caught heat about that comment for half a decade.

It's too bad that some of you didn't know that Colin Powell was about to die because you missed the chance to go visit him on his death bed and tell him what a piece of shit he was.

Wake replaced Powell with Chuck Hagel at the talk with Madeline Albright on 11/9

Thread also confirms that certain people, JH, Wrangor (of course), Lectro, et al., only care about racism under one very limited circumstance. Then they're all up in arms -- as JH said, RJ committed "the ugliest hate". Sure, buddy.

If there are no post-death ramifications for me, why shouldn't I enjoy power and privilege? Why do I care if I'm on a stamp after I'm dead? Or if people bad mouth me on message boards or the press?

Because doing the right thing should be enough. Doing the right thing for a reward diminishes that thing you did.

I miss Milhouse being able to shitpost to RJ. RJ really was his muse. Watching Mil shitpost to Brad is just not the same thing. Its like having to watch Van Halen with Gary Cherone or something.

Wow, RJ is one of the most deluded mfers on the planet. Hilarious thread. Also reminds me of several other posters I don't miss a bit

I miss Milhouse being able to shitpost to RJ. RJ really was his muse. Watching Mil shitpost to Brad is just not the same thing. Its like having to watch Van Halen with Gary Cherone or something.

That's because Brad doesn't respond to arguments with hysterical shrieking.

I guess I think it’s pretty fucked to imply that disliking a war criminal makes white progressive posters racist (because he’s Black and faced a lot of challenges to ascend to his role as top war criminal for a generation). But I also get that discourse has declined on here to such a big extent that even that seems normal.

Aspersions and moral high horse judgments can only go one way from the ideologically pure down.

Aspersions and moral high horse judgments can only go one way from the ideologically pure down.

i've never justified a military massacre of civilians or sold the American public on a war that I knew was not real, but has claimed millions of lives, so you're right. i suppose that makes me ideologically pure.

I think the disjuncture here is that a lot of us are coming to Powell's legacy as politically-engaged people who came of age during the Bush-era anti-war movement. I suppose I can understand if you just don't care about the atrocities that Powell and others in his position, past and present, have enabled, but that's very different from calling white critics on a message board racist

is Ph gonna call me an anti-Semite when I post critically about Henry Kissinger (whenever that asshole dies)?

I mean, I guess all us ideologically pure leftists should really walk a mile in the shoes of a conservative Republican 4 star general and Secretary of State before we cast aspersions. “There but for the grace of God go I, etc etc”

You guys are too binary in descriptions of people. For Powell you can separate what made the black community look up to him, the barriers he overcame and what he accomplished with the war mongering. It’s like when you described Bush as the personification of pure evil, when for some things maybe, but then guy helps more lives in Africa than anyone else.

For my perspective PH was just turning around a statement that was made in general the post before and saying that it works both ways. No reason for that to necessitate the theatrics that it did.

I think it’s important to learn about and understand other people’s perspectives especially marginalized peoples without just writing them off because you don’t share their opinions. This narrative is important because it goes against part of the Iraq War story that Powell sold the war to people using his popularity. That didn’t work as well on Black people. It also shows that identity politics isn’t just about representation and popularity. Republicans have figured that out with white grievance politics.

On the same token, I understand why white women boomer like Hillary even though I don’t. I can not like someone but understand why others do and why others who also don’t like her do so for bullshit reasons. And I can use that to dissect why I don’t like her.

I am not arguing with any of that. The Bush admin put Powell out there because he was respected more than the rest of his bloodthirsty cabinet.

I guess I think it’s pretty fucked to imply that disliking a war criminal makes white progressive posters racist (because he’s Black and faced a lot of challenges to ascend to his role as top war criminal for a generation). But I also get that discourse has declined on here to such a big extent that even that seems normal.

On here?

Back