• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Good quick Hollinger read about how the top prospects are bigs but the league needs big wings along with his top 20 and 3 sleepers. Jake is #20.
https://theathletic.com/3317217/2022/05/18/nba-draft-2022-top-20-prospects/

The top three players in this draft are bigs, with one being a true rim-protecting five. At least two other traditional centers are on every lottery board, and if you made a consensus mock draft right now, you’d see a generous sprinkling of players shorter than 6-5 as well. With centers in particular, we run into issues of diminishing returns. You can play one center, but never more; meanwhile, you can play as many 6-7 guys as you want in today’s NBA, provided at least one of them can dribble.
Despite that, teams continue to overvalue taking big centers at the top of the draft. We’ve had 18 centers drafted in the top six picks since 2002; only three of them have played in an All-Star Game, and in the case of Chris Kaman, we’re defining this term extremely broadly. Should Mobley and Deandre Ayton eventually make it, we’ll be at five. Woohoo.
Mobley proves the exception to the rule — a 7-foot center who plays as a perimeter player, particularly on defense. Meanwhile the best offensive center in the league (Nikola Jokić) was picked 46th, the best defensive center (Rudy Gobert) was picked 27th, and this year’s other 7-foot All-Stars (Jarrett Allen and Joel Embiid) were picked 22nd and thirdrespectively.
On the flip side, we’ve had a perimeter All-Star selected in the top five of every draft since 2010, if we assume one of Cunningham or Barnes breaks through soon. And we’re on a stretch of 20 straight drafts in the top six. A couple of them stretch the definition of “All-Star” a bit (Andrew Wiggins was voted in, and Devin Harris and D’Angelo Russell each made it once), but most were legit.
Overall, we’re talking about 27 All-Star perimeter players from 19 drafts, and 23 of them were no-doubt-about-it, All-Star-caliber players. Despite the zest for size at the top of the draft, most of these stars weren’t that big; only Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram were taller than 6-7.

20. Jake LaRavia | 6-9 junior | PF | Wake Forest
I originally had LaRavia in my “sleepers” section, but so many people have moved him up their draft boards lately that I feel like I’m not even ahead of the average on him anymore.
LaRavia is a relatively young junior, an unknown who transferred from Indiana State before the season and then blew up for the Demon Deacons. While his teammate Williams won ACC Player of the Year, I’m more encouraged by the pro prospects of LaRavia.
Defensively, in particular, he shows multi-positional potential. He has size and strength but also had the feet to comfortably stay with guards. His strong lower body and good balance help him pester dribblers without overcommitting or getting pushed off stride. He rarely fouls but has active hands that swiped 2.7 steals per 100 possessions and is able to challenge shots without flying into shooters. Few players I saw on tape were more adept at forcing dribblers to beat them with contested 2s. There may be some quickness limitations that show against NBA athletes, but in the ACC, they switched him against everybody and he aced the test.
LaRavia’s shooting will be another topic of discussion, as he hit 38.4 percent this season but on very low volume. Career marks of 37.1 percent from 3 and 74.3 percent from the line should ease some concerns here. LaRavia checks out in other respects, as he’s a good passer and hit 61.6 percent of his shots inside the arc. Nitpickers will also note he’s not a great rebounder.

maybe

it's possible that my post was a knee jerk reaction to praise of the most glaring defensive liability in last night's game because he hit a couple of desperation 3s

And mid-range shots, and surprisingly, defensive rebounds, and 1-2 nice assists all in the first half, without Smart and Horford, when the C's looked like they would run out to a BIG lead. They were right there at 14-15 and were close to blowing it out to 20+.

I agree with you, from what I saw in half 2, defense from Pritchard was not terrific.

I wouldn't say the game got away from the C's solely because of Pritchard-- the 22-2 run was a particularly ugly sequence of mostly unforced shit passing/ballhandling that led to transition bucket after transition bucket-- but Pritchard's presence in the game disallowed the Celts a comeback once that bleeding stopped, because Butler was just getting whatever the fuck he wanted against him. They were in desperate need of Smart there, and if he's good for Game 2, I actually feel good about this series, even sans Horford (though I'm p shocked Bam didn't have a bigger game 1 with Horford out)

the heat are really good at double high screen and hunting their guy, they did it to maxey with butler starting game 4 and it was brutal to watch

This photo is making its rounds on Twitter, but it's being refuted as an old pic by the Mavs.

the heat are really good at double high screen and hunting their guy, they did it to maxey with butler starting game 4 and it was brutal to watch

yep-- this is the only reason I'm not *super* nervous long term. If the Celtics can get 5 on the floor from Smart/White/Brown/Tatum/Williams/Horford/Williams, who in the world is Butler going to switch onto? It's the same sorta devil's bargain Giannis had to make throughout the last series; you hunt Brown, who is still a hell of an individual defender, and hope for the best. Theis and Pritchard will hurt that a bit but at the end of the day if they're only playing short spells, I don't think it's going to be as easy for the Heat going forward to get matchups they like.

Of course, that's all moot if the Heat defense blocks 12 shots a game and steals every lazy pass the Celtics make, but hey, that's a different issue that I don't much want to talk about right now

If there's a guy who could drink a few beers and drop 40 in a playoff game, it's Luka.

yep-- this is the only reason I'm not *super* nervous long term. If the Celtics can get 5 on the floor from Smart/White/Brown/Tatum/Williams/Horford/Williams, who in the world is Butler going to switch onto? It's the same sorta devil's bargain Giannis had to make throughout the last series; you hunt Brown, who is still a hell of an individual defender, and hope for the best. Theis and Pritchard will hurt that a bit but at the end of the day if they're only playing short spells, I don't think it's going to be as easy for the Heat going forward to get matchups they like.

Of course, that's all moot if the Heat defense blocks 12 shots a game and steals every lazy pass the Celtics make, but hey, that's a different issue that I don't much want to talk about right now

I assume that only 1 of Jimmy Butler and Marcus Smart will live through this series.

Hadn't thought about that aspect of it. The conference finals are the 2nd and 3rd longest tenured head coaches (14 years and 8 years) vs. coaches in their first year with their current team.

man - i put a bet on the Heat to win the series before game 1 at +145 and now it's moved to -140 after game 1

just didn't make any sense to me that the Heat would be favored in Game 1 but the Celtics favored to win the series

man - i put a bet on the Heat to win the series before game 1 at +145 and now it's moved to -140 after game 1

just didn't make any sense to me that the Heat would be favored in Game 1 but the Celtics favored to win the series

i mean, they were favored to win by less than the home court advantage spread

doesn't seem terribly illogical to think that the Heat would be favored to win any specific home game but not the series

Official 2021-22 NBA Season Thread - Magic/Thunder/Rockets/Kings top 4 picks

Part of the narrative was that the Celtics would be tired and the Heat would be rested.

Has a team ever won three straight playoff games by 25+ as a lower seed? Just something to watch for.

Last edited:
Back