• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

So is that immediately the worst contract in the league given its context? A 4-year max deal for a guy who doesn't want to be there, who the team doesn't want there, who isn't a shot-creating wing, and who only fits on certain other teams? If they can light a fire under his ass then it isn't so bad, but the fact that they've had him for 4 years and the friction has been building makes this really strange.

Kudos to Indy for at least fucking them into it, I guess.

Yea, the incredible, A+, gold star Chris Paul trade has obscured what otherwise has been a series of arguable missteps by James Jones and/or Robert Sarver that potentially cost/may cost/has cost the Suns a title. The investment in Cam Payne, the Landry Shamet contract, the Jalen Smith pick when Tyrese Haliburton was right ____ing there (not to mention the Ayton pick over Luka)...

Seriously, if the Suns take Haliburton instead of Smith in the 2020 NBA draft, does CP3 have a ring?

Ayton for Beal straight up, who says yes?

That's the other thing that makes this signing so bad for the Suns. They've already got CP3 and Booker on max contracts (and Booker's is absurd), with the non-wifebeating M Bridges making over $20 mil as well. Adding a third max means they have zero wiggle room for pretty much anything. Other than trying to find a Beal-type trade that would be suspect on both sides, they are locked into pretty much this same team going forward. Granted the regular season record may make that appealing in some way, but CP3 is obviously not getting any younger. I don't get it.

Yea, the incredible, A+, gold star Chris Paul trade has obscured what otherwise has been a series of arguable missteps by James Jones and/or Robert Sarver that potentially cost/may cost/has cost the Suns a title. The investment in Cam Payne, the Landry Shamet contract, the Jalen Smith pick when Tyrese Haliburton was right ____ing there (not to mention the Ayton pick over Luka)...

Seriously, if the Suns take Haliburton instead of Smith in the 2020 NBA draft, does CP3 have a ring?

I mean, if the Suns draft a PG do they trade for CP?

Long time Spurs reporter dropping Westbrook to the Spurs;Kyrie to Lakers deal brewing

Possibly related, Woj is reporting that Westbrook dropped his agent.

The report I read was that the Spurs wanted multiple firsts but the Lakers wouldn’t do it. They don’t fully control any picks until 2026. But the Spurs may be fine with one unprotected pick.

Lebron will be 41 in 2025-26. AD will be 33. Kyrie will be 34 and still Kyrie. An unprotected pick in 2026 or later is a solid bet that the Lakers will struggle at that point. I’d they’re bad, that’s a lottery chance. If they’re good, it’s what a protected pick would be.

I’d rather bet they’ll be be bad than bet that they’ll be firmly mediocre. If they’re good, you get late firsts. If they’re bad you get second rounders. I don’t know why teams want protected picks.

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Free Agency/Summer League; Ayton staying?

What do the Nets get here? I guess just out of the luxury tax?

https://www.spurstalk.com/latest-spurs-intel-deandre-ayton-domino/

5) A Spurs insider tells me that starting center Jakob Poeltl is likely to be traded by the start of the season. Now that Ayton is back with the Suns, the market for Poeltl should begin to heat up. Josh Richardson is also actively being shopped by the Spurs and could find a new home sooner rather than later.

What do the Spurs want in return for Poeltl and Richardson? The insider tells me the Spurs are currently investigating opportunities to include Poeltl and/or Richardson in the aforementioned mega trades involving Irving, Durant or Mitchell. If adding Poeltl and/or Richardson to a trade results in the Spurs getting an unprotected pick in return, that type of deal takes priority.
For example, if the Brooklyn Nets want Poeltl and Richardson as part of a three-team trade involving Irving and the Lakers, the Spurs would be willing to do that as long as they’re compensated with sufficient draft capital — preferably of the unprotected variety.

The Spurs signed Keldon Johnson to a 4/80 extension. So it looks like he’s the cornerstone of the franchise and not up for trade.

Last edited:
yeesh, I couldn’t tell you anything about Kelvin Johnson’s game

is he worth $20M/year??

Juice, I'll refer back to this post from February in reference to discussion about trading Poeltl and change for Miles Bridges.

Bridges: 23 years old, 6-6, 225
Johnson: 22 years old, 6-5, 220

Bridges last season: 12.7 pts, 6.0 reb, 2.2 ast, .503 fg, .400 3pt

Bridges this season: 19.8 pts, 6.0 reb, 3.5 ast, .486 fg, .312 fg

Johnson last season: 12.8 pts, 6.0 reb, 1.8 ast, .479 fg, .331 fg

Johnson this season: 15.4 pts, 6.1 reb, 1.8 ast, .471 fg, .431 3pt

I made that post before I looked at the stats and saw Keldon is on Bridges' trajectory. Why give up a very good C for a duplicate player?

The Spurs have done a good job of locking up players before their value increases. I got mocked for years for hyping up Dejounte Murray when he wasn't getting on national TV. The Spurs signed him on a 4/64 extension before the 2019-20 season. He became an All-Star in the second year of that extension and got traded for 3 1st round picks.

4/80 is a good bet for a guy who is on the Bridges trajectory. Keldon kind of had two different seasons. Through January, he was inefficent inside the arc and was a low volume efficient spot up shooter. He was 48% inside the arc on 8 attempts per game, but also shot about 4 3pt per game at 43.6%. Then in February, he became much more efficient inside the arc at 56% on about the same 8 attempts, but he added 3 more 3pt attempts per game and only shot 36%. His overall FG percent stayed around 46.5%, but his points when up from 15.1 to 20.2 in the last 28 games.

So going back to the Bridges comparison:

Keldon (2021-22): 17.0 pts, 6.1 reb, 2.1 ast, .466 fg, .398 3pt
Miles (2020-21): 12.7 pts, 6.0 reb, 2.2 ast, .503 fg, .400 3pt

Keldon (end of 2021-22): 20.2 pts, 5.9 reb, 2.7 ast, .468 fg, .361 3pt
Miles (2021-22): 20.2 pts, 7.0 reb, 3.8 ast, .491 fg, .331 3pt

I think the Spurs made a safe bet here.

I don’t have an opinion one way or another about whether it’s a good contract

I just would bet he’s making the most money per year among guys I know nothing about

The Blazers and Knicks are playing in the Summer League Championship Game tomorrow.

Jake plays his final SL game vs. the Spurs at 6
Alondes plays his final SL game vs. the Celtics at 8

Keldon Johnson in 2023 at 24 years old will be the 74th highest paid player in the league. He'll be paid about what the following players will be paid: Johnathan Issac (24), Dejounte Murray (27), Tim Hardaway, Jr. (31), Lauri Markkanen (26).

Last edited:
The one slow week for the NBA. If it were scripted we’d get a Durant/Mitchell trade this week

The one slow week for the NBA. If it were scripted we’d get a Durant/Mitchell trade this week

It's weird how US sports seem to shut down for the MLB All-Star break. Even the WNBA didn't have any games yesterday. They have one game going on right now and two games tonight at 10:00 and 10:30 as the All-Star game should be in the last few innings.

damn, either I wasn't paying attention or it's new info but child abuse charges for Bridges on top of what he did to his wife

Back