• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

why are you guys pessimistic about holmgren? his weight? i probably watched him play 10 minutes or less this season but it does seem like he matched his tools with really solid production (outside shooting, rebounding, blocks)

re: williams, he does have an impressive profile but also wondering if he’s a guy who helps in the regular season but could get run off the floor in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Chet is gonna get the Shawn Bradley treatment where the whole league delights in dunking on him and it becomes a thing for everyone.

hornets need to try to package both picks and PJ to try to get a legitimate starting 5. that wouldn't be enough in total to get in on rudy or ayton but would be a start. there are a lot of ways to go if you include 3rd team

if they can't, they should double dip for defensive bigs at 13 and 15 with mark williams from duke and sochan from baylor (what givony currently has mocked)

I think the biggest hurdle is that free agency doesn't open until after the draft, so they can't use 13 and 15 from this draft in a sign and trade scenario. If the deal was worked out before before the draft and they made two picks for the Suns who subsequently both got traded to the Suns for Ayton, that would be obvious tampering. Both picks plus Hayward plus one of Oubre/PJ/Bouknight might work to get Gobert though.

Mark Williams to the Hornets is pretty much every mock out there. But I'm not sure why a guy with his skillset, athleticism, and high floor would fall that far. I really hope it happens because he would be a great fit, but I think he goes before we pick. I'd consider trading both picks to move up to get him.

why are you guys pessimistic about holmgren? his weight? i probably watched him play 10 minutes or less this season but it does seem like he matched his tools with really solid production (outside shooting, rebounding, blocks)

re: williams, he does have an impressive profile but also wondering if he’s a guy who helps in the regular season but could get run off the floor in the playoffs.

I didn't watch much Chet either, but the way he moves is just so strange -- doesn't seem like he's built for an 82+ game season

not on first or second team all defense either

we gotta stop letting 2&2 vote

Chet is gonna get the Shawn Bradley treatment where the whole league delights in dunking on him and it becomes a thing for everyone.

Yeah, defense is going to be a problem for him, and it doesn't look like his frame will ever support even moderate musculature. That said, Holmgren is a legit 7 footer and he can shoot the 3. So, even no other part of his game develops to an NBA level (Chet did shoot 73% from 2, and blocked some shots), he can be a wing that can shoot over almost any defense. Not saying Chet will be a perennial all-star, but there is a role for him in the NBA.

Yeah, defense is going to be a problem for him, and it doesn't look like his frame will ever support even moderate musculature. That said, Holmgren is a legit 7 footer and he can shoot the 3. So, even no other part of his game develops to an NBA level (Chet did shoot 73% from 2, and blocked some shots), he can be a wing that can shoot over almost any defense. Not saying Chet will be a perennial all-star, but there is a role for him in the NBA.

The theoretical value of a 7 footer who can shoot threes is that he can play both on the block and shoot 3s. If he can't play on the block then he is just a dude who shoots threes like all the others in the NBA. Maybe there is a marginal value of being taller when shooting threes, but how many threes does anybody have blocked? Maybe there is one a game on anyone on the floor? The ability to flop on a three is more valuable than the ability to shoot over a defense. A taller Duncan Robinson is not a better Duncan Robinson.

The theoretical value of a 7 footer who can shoot threes is that he can defend the rim and guard the post (and, at this point, hopefully survive when forced to switch on smaller, faster players) while also being able to space the court such that the guard/wings can slash to the rim without the other team having a rim protector.

While having someone who can score from the block is nice, for a big its not anywhere near as important as outside shooting and the ability to defend.

The thing about Chet is he can be terrific out of pick and rolls too and he can get to the basket even though he has a slight frame. The guy has a great handle and he's quicker than most anyone his size and he somehow finds a way to not back down to physical play. He can get to to the rim. Add in that he's a good rebounder and can start and run a fast break with his handle and pass really well out of a fast break, the guy has a lot going for him. Not to mention he's a very good passer from the post. People expect him to be soft since he's so narrow but that guy isnt soft at all. That guy's a bulldog.

Yeah. He’s the prototypical NBA wing right now. Switchable defender who can hit threes. He’s just really tall and really skinny.

He's going to prevent major problems for any team that tries to play small ball - which is common in today's NBA. Almost nobody has a good center that actually lives around the paint anymore. He can get the ball over the top as well as anyone and make you pay there too. I think Chet will have a really good NBA career. I think there's a reason that probably every team in the NBA would take him 1st or 2nd if they had the pick.

He's going to prevent major problems for any team that tries to play small ball - which is common in today's NBA. Almost nobody has a good center that actually lives around the paint anymore. He can get the ball over the top as well as anyone and make you pay there too. I think Chet will have a really good NBA career. I think there's a reason that probably every team in the NBA would take him 1st or 2nd if they had the pick.

I think this is where I land on Chet. I am not saying he will be KD, but KD had a similar frame when he started. He filled out enough to not get pushed around and his teams built around him to make sure he wasnt guarding C's

Yeah. He’s the prototypical NBA wing right now. Switchable defender who can hit threes. He’s just really tall and really skinny.

nah

he was #4 in blocks per game as a freshman last year

that's not "prototypical wing" stuff, come on

Mavs fans are the worst. Some of the takes about this team who has clearly over achieved at this point....I apologize to everyone else who has to deal with them. I hope Warriors blow them out Game 5

Last edited:
nah

he was #4 in blocks per game as a freshman last year

that's not "prototypical wing" stuff, come on

I didn’t say he was a wing at Gonzaga. I said that’s what he’ll be in the NBA. He’ll still block plenty of shots though. Nobody thinks he’s going to be on the low block so I don’t know what you’re smoking.

Teams aren’t drafting Chet as a traditional C. C’mon man. Part of the debate around the draft is the top 3 picks are all bigs in a league moving away from bigs. So how can they be the big versatile wings teams need?

Not sure if there will be a separate NBA draft thread, but here is some draft news:

- Jalen Williams (Santa Clara), Christian Braun (Kansas), Kenneth Lofton (La Tech) and Jabari Walker (Colorado) have announced that they will stay in the draft.
- ESPN projects Williams (#22) and Braun (#30) as first round picks, Lofton and Walker may not get drafted. Here is the link to the ESPN Big Board (LaRavia #32 and Alondes #59): https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1
- The decision by Lofton to stay in the draft impacts college basketball recruiting as a ton of Power programs were after him as Lofton had also entered the portal.
- Baylor Sheierman (South Dakota State) has withdrawn his name and will return to college, he is transferring to Creighton (WF was in contract)
- As expected, Nigel Pack (K State) has withdrawn his name from the NBA draft, and will reap the benefit of a big money NIL deal from Miami.
- Grant Sherfield (Nevada) was withdrawn his name from the NBA draft, and will transfer to Oklahoma. Sherfield averaged 19 ppgs 6 apg and 4 rpg at Nevada. He is a stud.

The deadline for those who want to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to college is one week from today (June 1 -- 11:59 pm).

Last edited:
Back