• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

I don't think Woods is a guy that plays winning basketball. More of an empty calories player. I don't like the move for the Mavs.

Agree with the "empty calories" description, but also think Wood has the ability to be a contributing winning player with the right system / coaching / buy-in, unlike a lot of empty calories players who are kinda doomed (e.g. westbrick). he's never really been part of a strong org / team, going all the way back to college.

so i think it's a high-reward move for the mavs, which is what i think they need to do if they are trying to get over the hump.

yeah i think woods is a good 3rd/4th guy

maybe anchor a bench unit for a really good team

Agree with the "empty calories" description, but also think Wood has the ability to be a contributing winning player with the right system / coaching / buy-in, unlike a lot of empty calories players who are kinda doomed (e.g. westbrick). he's never really been part of a strong org / team, going all the way back to college.

so i think it's a high-reward move for the mavs, which is what i think they need to do if they are trying to get over the hump.

Right. I think good news for Mavs is they were unlikely to get someone better at 26. They traded 4 guys who didn’t play in playoffs. So they basically got Woods for pick 26. So if he doesn’t work then he is off the books next year anyway when some more of your players also come off books

very little risk with possible high reward

And I still think the Mavs need more but Wood is already the best big on the roster, which was their biggest issue in playoffs. Now you can add a defensive center (Bamba maybe) and a vet wing and have a better roster than you did last year without trading anything away

can't really speak to any of those Dallas guys specifically, but good teams do have dudes that can put in decent regular season minutes and keep team competitive without overloading the best players, but don't really have a role in the playoffs

Duncan Robinson is the too-expensive version of this; Trey Burke seems like a guy that could be this (don't know anything about his contract)

can't really speak to any of those Dallas guys specifically, but good teams do have dudes that can put in decent regular season minutes and keep team competitive without overloading the best players, but don't really have a role in the playoffs

Duncan Robinson is the too-expensive version of this; Trey Burke seems like a guy that could be this (don't know anything about his contract)

Trey is great, but does something every year (no idea what it is) that makes him less an asset ending the season than starting it

There has to be something going on, too, because he's such a valuable roleplayer whenever he gets minutes

Sure, but Burke, Brown and Chriss averaged 10 mins a game all in under 45 games of regular season action. Boban was 5 mins a game in 23 games

Mavs had ten guys that averaged more mins a game and GP. So they literally traded their 11-14 guys for a starter

Burke probably has best chance to play elsewhere in that group. He was just the 4th PG on the Mavs

Tatum seems to prefer Euro-stepping around dudes at the rim rather than just using his length and jumping over and through contact. It's so bizarre.

Tatum 6-18 for 13 points ,5 turnovers in home NBA finals game. For the series he shot 36%. We can stop all the talk about him being the next great player.

Back