• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Gotta be, right?

The Suns need players to compete now. My guess is Turner and either Haliburton/Duarte or Hield/McConnell plus maybe a pick swap or a second. I could see Turner, Haliburton, and Hield as an overpay or if the Suns add a heavily protected 2023 pick.

Why do the Suns want to trade Ayton?

He's a restricted free agent that wants a max deal (~$30M) and the Suns don't want to pay him that.

That's the short version.

The longer version is that Ayton has been unhappy with the Suns contract negotiations (going back to last year) and it is probably beyond repair at this point, even if the Suns decided he was worth that kind of money.

Why do the Suns want to trade Ayton?

The Suns and Ayton reached an impasse last year on a contact extension. The Suns aren't willing to commit the massive long term financial obligation which Ayton is seeking. Tensions between Ayton and the coaching staff flared in the playoffs.

Like Ayton, but hard to value a big with no three point game in today's NBA.

Ayton showed a smoother face-up game than I realized early in the playoffs, but seemed to fail to punish opponents when they went small or he got a favorable match-up on the rotation

his value is a victim of the modern game, imo

i'd be shocked if halliburton was included

Yeah. But I think the Suns want players not just Turner and picks. I really like Haliburton so I’d lean toward Hield/McConnell because they gives them a great shooter and steady backup PG they need. But if the Suns add to the package, Haliburton and Booker would be a great backcourt of the future.

Yea I like Ayton but for whatever reason it seems like the proverbial bridge between him and the Suns is fully/totally burned down at this point.

Yeah. But I think the Suns want players not just Turner and picks. I really like Haliburton so I’d lean toward Hield/McConnell because they gives them a great shooter and steady backup PG they need. But if the Suns add to the package, Haliburton and Booker would be a great backcourt of the future.

Yea, the Cam Payne fiasco (not to mention the Landry Shamet signing) has really left the Suns in a tenuous position as far as guard depth. Haliburton would be pitch perfect, of course, but for some reason I keep getting this weird feeling that the Suns may have a chance to draft Haliburton and didn't? And instead drafted a back-up center no one had mocked in the lottery? Man, would that be tough if true.

Ayton showed a smoother face-up game than I realized early in the playoffs, but seemed to fail to punish opponents when they went small or he got a favorable match-up on the rotation

his value is a victim of the modern game, imo

Yeah. I think it’s weird to just assume a soon to be 24 year old big man can’t add to his game. But I get not wanting to max a big regardless.

Ayton was great for them, this is dumb. But there is a bit of we can pay Bismack Biyombo $2 mil and he does an admirable job when paired with CP3

Yea, the Cam Payne fiasco (not to mention the Landry Shamet signing) has really left the Suns in a tenuous position as far as guard depth. Haliburton would be pitch perfect, of course, but for some reason I keep getting this weird feeling that the Suns may have a chance to draft Haliburton and didn't? And instead drafted a back-up center no one had mocked in the lottery? Man, would that be tough if true.

Some of the discontent with Ayton could be that they had the #1 pick and took a traditional big as if it was the 1988 draft instead of a generational guard/wing like it was the 2018 draft.

i mean turner is pretty good

i'd think turner + halliburton is a WAY overpay for ayton

myles + hield for ayton seems fair actually

i mean turner is pretty good

i'd think turner + halliburton is a WAY overpay for ayton

myles + hield for ayton seems fair actually

yeah , but Hield is used to getting 30+ MPG/being a starter. Being behind CP3 and Booker might not be a fit. But yeah if we can get rid of one of Payne/Shamet and bring back Hield I'd love it.

yeah , but Hield is used to getting 30+ MPG/being a starter. Being behind CP3 and Booker might not be a fit. But yeah if we can get rid of one of Payne/Shamet and bring back Hield I'd love it.

that's fair

but you can count on cp3 missing some time and/or resting at this point in his career; not sure if hield can play PG for any sustainable amount of run but he's a huge upgrade over payne/shamet/holiday as the best guard off the bench

hield is one of those guys that could win you a playoff game if he got hot at the right time

Hield is also used to not playing meaningful basketball past March. He could be close to a 25-30 min 6th man playing with Paul with Booker on the bench and playing with Booker with Paul on the bench. The Suns should try to keep CP's minutes limited so he can play 9-10 minutes in the 4th every night.

Back